Former TN wrestler charged w international drug trafficking in Dominican

TNWrestling

Chris Schmidt wrestled for Houston from 97-01, and had three brothers who also wrestled for Houston.

E-mail from Ryan Schmidt

On Thursday December 2, 2010 two American pilots, Chris Schmidt and Kevin Kuranz, were detained in the Dominican Republic after drug dogs found 215 kilograms of cocaine hidden in the ceiling and floorboards of the plane they were to fly out of the country. Chris and Kevin do not load the plane, they just fly it. They were in no way aware of the drugs, and have cooperated fully with authorities. Chris and Kevin are pilots for Air Cargo Carriers based out of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The Dominican Reublic has arrested 18 military officials who were involved, and their version of the DA who followed the bust agrees that they had no part in it, but when it went to the judge for them to be released from the country they were wrongfully charged with international drug trafficking. Help bring these Americans home to their friends and families. We are trying to reach out and find anyone who can help in anyway. We also ask for your prayers for both the pilots and their families

If you know anyone who can help in anyway please email Ryan Schmidt- BringChrisHome@gmail.com

Edited by TNWrestling

A Sheboygan man learned Monday that U.S. Rep. Tom Petri's office is now working to get his son, a pilot, released from a Dominican Republic jail, where he is being held after a large drug bust found 300 pounds of cocaine on the cargo plane he was flying.

Kevin Kuranz, 31, and co-pilot Christopher Smith — employees of Milwaukee based Air Cargo Carriers — have been detained since Thursday, and are in the middle of a drug investigation that has cast suspicion on 18 military and government officials in the Dominican Republic.

A second hearing on the case was scheduled for Monday, but as of late afternoon Joe Kuranz, 66, had not heard any information on whether the hearing took place, or if his son and the co-pilot were still being held.

"Right now, all we have is the update from Congressman Petri's representative, to tell me they are on it, they're working on it," Joe Kuranz said.

For the first two days, Kuranz and Smith were detained at the Marriott hotel where they were staying, according to Joe Kuranz. But after a hearing Saturday night, Joe Kuranz said the judge ordered them to a holding cell. The pilots were considered innocent heading into that hearing, Joe Kuranz said he was told, with the expectation they would be released.

Joe Kuranz said Smith's father, who is in the Dominican Republic, also has been trying to get updates.

"I don't know if he's had access to them in the holding cell, or at a meeting or whatever," he said.

Kevin Kuranz, 31, a Sheboygan South grad, was making his first flight into the Dominican Republic. He and Smith were flying a Short 360 that was stripped down for cargo use.

Joe Kuranz said he is trying to stay strong.

"I sleep good sometimes, and I don't sleep good. We're very worried because he's in a Third World country and we're not getting much information. It sounded like it was going to be easy, they were going to hold them overnight and release them the next day. It just isn't happening. Reports that come back are very vague."

A Sheboygan man learned Monday that U.S. Rep. Tom Petri's office is now working to get his son, a pilot, released from a Dominican Republic jail, where he is being held after a large drug bust found 300 pounds of cocaine on the cargo plane he was flying.

Kevin Kuranz, 31, and co-pilot Christopher Smith — employees of Milwaukee based Air Cargo Carriers — have been detained since Thursday, and are in the middle of a drug investigation that has cast suspicion on 18 military and government officials in the Dominican Republic.

A second hearing on the case was scheduled for Monday, but as of late afternoon Joe Kuranz, 66, had not heard any information on whether the hearing took place, or if his son and the co-pilot were still being held.

"Right now, all we have is the update from Congressman Petri's representative, to tell me they are on it, they're working on it," Joe Kuranz said.

For the first two days, Kuranz and Smith were detained at the Marriott hotel where they were staying, according to Joe Kuranz. But after a hearing Saturday night, Joe Kuranz said the judge ordered them to a holding cell. The pilots were considered innocent heading into that hearing, Joe Kuranz said he was told, with the expectation they would be released.

Joe Kuranz said Smith's father, who is in the Dominican Republic, also has been trying to get updates.

"I don't know if he's had access to them in the holding cell, or at a meeting or whatever," he said.

Kevin Kuranz, 31, a Sheboygan South grad, was making his first flight into the Dominican Republic. He and Smith were flying a Short 360 that was stripped down for cargo use.

Joe Kuranz said he is trying to stay strong.

"I sleep good sometimes, and I don't sleep good. We're very worried because he's in a Third World country and we're not getting much information. It sounded like it was going to be easy, they were going to hold them overnight and release them the next day. It just isn't happening. Reports that come back are very vague."

Update Per Maryville Times

http://new.thedailytimes.com/Local_News/story/Local_pilot_detained_in_Dominican_Republic_id_005697

• 2 weeks later...