Programs that refuse to play Football with open dates

OLD PIRATE

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am sure this has been mentioned many times but these coaches work for their money just like everyone else and the tssaa has not helpled by making victories more important than playing good teams and losing......it is all about the wins....not losing to respectful teams....most teams that are successful at all have a tough time getting teams to play them, i am talking about teams that win only 6 or 7 games a year...fans and principals do not like to see their schools get beat, much less killed by 50 or 60 points...that is one thing that the really good schools should think about before beating someone by 70 points and then not understanding why that same team does not want to play the following year....duh....the same coaches can use that time to play their younger kids, not try to rush for 700 yards...what goes around comes around and as conficios says "karma is a bad woman you never want to make mad" or to translate "karma is a b....

i am sure this has been mentioned many times but these coaches work for their money just like everyone else and the tssaa has not helpled by making victories more important than playing good teams and losing......it is all about the wins....not losing to respectful teams....most teams that are successful at all have a tough time getting teams to play them, i am talking about teams that win only 6 or 7 games a year...fans and principals do not like to see their schools get beat, much less killed by 50 or 60 points...that is one thing that the really good schools should think about before beating someone by 70 points and then not understanding why that same team does not want to play the following year....duh....the same coaches can use that time to play their younger kids, not try to rush for 700 yards...what goes around comes around and as conficios says "karma is a bad woman you never want to make mad" or to translate "karma is a b....

Old Pirate says this type of post has been seen a lot and obviously it still is a topic of what good teams are suppose to do when the game becomes a mercy rule situation. OP has some questions that have been asked with surprising responses.

Suppose:you are a player attempting to get the attention of colleges and you are pulled shortly after the half of your senior year and subs finish game!

Questions:

1.Is it doing the starters an injustice by cutting short their play and opportunities to possably impress college recruiters and/or voters who look at stats strongly and choose Allstate or Mr. Football awards? R. Hale is an example of this particular senario.

Point (a)Raquis did become the school season rushing leader but failed to be even a finalist for Mr. Football.

point(b)Raquis was without a doubt to those that saw him play was surely deserving of a Mr. Football nomination and most likely was the best 1A had to offer. If he had rushed for another 400-500 yds would that have been the difference?

Now as a parent that has seen your young athlete work his tail off to become a starter his senior year after gitting his butt kicked for years playing behind older,better more talented players and now the player has to sit shortly after the 2nd half due to efforts to make the game closer.

Questions:

(a) how do you think that player feels?

(B) how do you feel as the parent of that player seeing his/her playing time limited regularly by the teams success?

OP says these folkes that git on coacht and voice critzism of the coaches and teams need to look beyond a 1 sided viewpoint. Now the Pirates have been on the recieving end of a monkey stomping.OP can say from experience that the when the daughter and son played they didn't want to come out. OP wanted them to play as much as possible with the skillet slinger wanting to use the skillet on the coaches ifin theys short changed the youngons. :roflol:

Edited by OLD PIRATE

Old Pirate says this type of post has been seen a lot and obviously it still is a topic of what good teams are suppose to do when the game becomes a mercy rule situation. OP has some questions that have been asked with surprising responses.

Suppose:you are a player attempting to get the attention of colleges and you are pulled shortly after the half of your senior year and subs finish game!

Questions:

1.Is it doing the starters an injustice by cutting short their play and opportunities to possably impress college recruiters and/or voters who look at stats strongly and choose Allstate or Mr. Football awards? R. Hale is an example of this particular senario.

Point (a)Raquis did become the school season rushing leader but failed to be even a finalist for Mr. Football.

point(b)Raquis was without a doubt to those that saw him play was surely deserving of a Mr. Football nomination and most likely was the best 1A had to offer. If he had rushed for another 400-500 yds would that have been the difference?

Now as a parent that has seen your young athlete work his tail off to become a starter his senior year after gitting his butt kicked for years playing behind older,better more talented players and now the player has to sit shortly after the 2nd half due to efforts to make the game closer.

Questions:

(a) how do you think that player feels?

(B) how do you feel as the parent of that player seeing his/her playing time limited regularly by the teams success?

OP says these folkes that git on coacht and voice critzism of the coaches and teams need to beyond a 1 sided viewpoint. Now the Pirates have been on the recieving end of a monkey stomping.OP can say from experience that the when the daughter and son played they didn't want to come out. OP wanted them to play as much as possible with the skillet slinger wanting to use the skillet on the coaches ifin theys short changed the youngons. :roflol:

Signal Mountain's starters feel the same way OP. Playing half games all the time kills your stats. On the other hand your rookie players get alot of playing time.

Signal Mountain's starters feel the same way OP. Playing half games all the time kills your stats. On the other hand your rookie players get alot of playing time.

Old Pirate says that why you have a JV schedule to git game experience fot the younger players. The mercy rule also hinders the development of the younger players with time gone before you can git out of your seat and leave the stadium. <_<

OP is sure more stats would have helped SM players as well. OP says SM had a great group of youngons that showed respect and certainly won respect. :thumb:

Old Pirate says a school that refuses to play another school in football should not be scheduled for other sports. OP can vividly remember when BB & LV would not play the Pirates in football but was more than willing to play other sports. SP has annually been known for football while other sports have been the whipping grounds for other programs.

SP,TC,SM,Alcoa and other successful football programs should cut ties with local schools that want to pick what sports they schedule.

Just an outside observation: I don't think there are many schools or coaches that are lined up in waiting to play schools that consistently humiliate weaker opponents on the football field by scoring 50 to 70 points a game. It would be hard for me to get mad at other schools that I have beaten badly (50 plus) every time I play them for not playing me.Also since the TSSAA has messed up the playoffs not many coaches are willign to put a playoff spot on the line by playing SP. Signal, BB, etc

Just an outside observation: I don't think there are many schools or coaches that are lined up in waiting to play schools that consistently humiliate weaker opponents on the football field by scoring 50 to 70 points a game. It would be hard for me to get mad at other schools that I have beaten badly (50 plus) every time I play them for not playing me.Also since the TSSAA has messed up the playoffs not many coaches are willign to put a playoff spot on the line by playing SP. Signal, BB, etc

Well moonie I can see your point. SM is moving up to 4A from 2A this year and that should not be a problem for us. South Pitt is a small school and is a powerhouse in football, the could play 3A / 4A and compete in the regular season. But if they played up too much in the regular season, depth and injuries would become and issue. They deserve to play and win State Championships at that level. They are an awesome 1A school. It is a problem they will always have to deal with.

Well moonie I can see your point. SM is moving up to 4A from 2A this year and that should not be a problem for us. South Pitt is a small school and is a powerhouse in football, the could play 3A / 4A and compete in the regular season. But if they played up too much in the regular season, depth and injuries would become and issue. They deserve to play and win State Championships at that level. They are an awesome 1A school. It is a problem they will always have to deal with.

Old Pirate says SP love their futeball but many wish other sports would become more competitive. It is a strange thing how programs become so successful in a sport but others suffer. Figure it mostly comes back to commitment and focus. It is disturbing when programs like Grace, Bledsoe and Grundy (although they reluctantly scheduled-rumor is some heads were goin to roll if SP was not scheduled) don't want to schedule futeball games when they routinely kick our butts in other sports the majority of the time. OP had breakfast early this morning and some fellers was discussing this particular situation. The likely hood that SP will have 8-9 games max ticks folkes off exspecially after some coaches jest out and out lied about having open dates filled. OP says if some of these continue to lie and deny that fact..they'll be exposed on coacht. As long time futeball fans and supporters most SP folkes jest feel wronged.

2011 South Pittsburg Pirates

Week 1 Grundy County-3A

Week 2 Jasper-2A

Week 3 Sequatchie County-3A

Week 4 Baylor North-4A

Week 5 Lookout Valley-1A

Week 6 Whitwell-1A

Week 7 ??

Week 8 Boyd Buchanan-2A

Week 9 Polk County-3A

Week 10 ??

1 team 3 clssifications higher, 3 teams 2 classifications higher and only 2 in 1A? Looks like a pretty stiff challenge for little ole South Pitts, 240 students strong. Grace folkes thats how you learn to win championships not merely games..... :popcorneater:

Edited by OLD PIRATE

Old Pirate says SP love their futeball but many wish other sports would become more competitive. It is a strange thing how programs become so successful in a sport but others suffer. Figure it mostly comes back to commitment and focus. It is disturbing when programs like Grace, Bledsoe and Grundy (although they reluctantly scheduled-rumor is some heads were goin to roll if SP was not scheduled) don't want to schedule futeball games when they routinely kick out butts in other sports the majority of the time. OP had breakfast early this morning and some fellers was discussing this particular situation. The likely hood that SP will have 8-9 games max ticks folkes off exspecially after some coaches jest out and out lied about having open dates filled. OP says if some of these continue to lie and deny that fact..they'll be exposed on coacht. As long time futeball fans and supporters most SP folkes jest feel wronged.

2011 South Pittsburg Pirates

Week 1 Grundy County-3A

Week 2 Jasper-2A

Week 3 Sequatchie County-3A

Week 4 Baylor North-4A

Week 5 Lookout Valley-1A

Week 6 Whitwell-1A

Week 7 ??

Week 8 Boyd Buchanan-2A

Week 9 Polk County-3A

Week 10 ??

1 team 3 clssifications higher, 3 teams 2 classifications higher and only 2 in 1A? Looks like a pretty stiff challenge for little ole South Pitts, 240 students strong. Grace folkes thats how you learn to win championships not merely games..... :popcorneater:

Good post OP! Quit calling us Baylor North. I'll start calling ya'll Jasper South.

Good post OP! Quit calling us Baylor North. I'll start calling ya'll Jasper South.

:roflol: He-he-hee, Sorry ther feller, Old Pirate jest copied another post with schedule. Us old skillet heads gots to conserve all brains cells we can.

Recon Jasper South is a stretch but the way Jasper has been breeding lately looks as if theys mite be called South Whutwell. :roflol::roflol::thumb:

Edited by OLD PIRATE

The problem is some of these schools (Bledsoe, Grace, etc) regularly beat us by big margins in boys/girls basketball, baseball and softball. The real issue is playing us in all sports. If you don't want to play us in football that is fine but don't expect us to play you in those other sports.

And I agree about the TSSAA screwing things up. Playing and losing to tougher opponents should not hurt you in the playoffs. There should be allowances for playing good teams otherwise this will continue to be a problem

Edited by zonepirate

I agree! Playoff system needs a few changes. Forget the travel $ worries, give teams that play up a break. I would love to see Dresden against South Pittsburg. I enjoy seeing well coached football teams. We don't have many teams that fear us, but from the little success we have had the last two years, we had two teams dodge us. Couldn't imagine how bad it would be if we were SP or Mckenzie.