Memphis Central at Tournament of Champions

MTOWN21

Well, considering their two best players are Juniors, expect to see Memphis Central continue to go to these nat'l tournaments and continue to battle. They didn't do so well at the tournament in Arizona, but did extremely well in Hawaii. You guys fail to look at that part. I've never compared Memphis Central to Shelbyville. Shelbyville was a nat'l powerhouse for years and Memphis Central is a long ways from there. If Central wins state this year, what will you guys have to say for next year when they travel to the nat'l tournaments with this extremely talented team they have? PHargis has been bashing this 1 topic since last year and he sounds ignorant everytime he post about it. I promise you if Gibson Co. would've had the team they've had the past 2 years, this year.... I would beg for them to play in some nat'l tournaments. Whether we do well or not would be a different story, but it'd be a good measuring stick.

GC, tell me how it hurt GC or any other school in the District by not going the theatrics route. True, you didn't like to travel too far from home but everyone was true to what they were. I don't think even you would diminish what they did and the record they had. The real problem here is a bunch of AAU bag toting quys trying to treat High School play like AAU/Travel league. TwinCityT hit the nail on the head and it was fortified by the comments of the High School Coach from Florida who played in the TurkeyJam. His interview was recorded by a memphis site and went like this. His school was on the road and played 50 games last season, most on the road nation wide. Impressive??? You Betcha. My first thought was when did they go to school. All of his players got scholarships but wonder how long they stayed in school. All of this really makes no difference only to say this, the life protrayed in talking about this is not real life. To play 50 games, most nationwide could be glamerous to a kid who likies to play but might not be good academically. Whats she going to do with the rest of her life.

The question about who's paying for all of this is interesting but really not pertinent. I personally don't want to know. A couple or three touurnaments close by fits the bill and can be within budget. It appears there are 4 or 5 schools tryng to go the national route and it starts the same way every time. PLAY FOR A NATIONAL TITLE AT AN AAU/SHOE SPONSERED EVENT with COLLEGE COACHES just sitting around the events. Exposure events with the travel twist. Attractive???? Likely so but most oif these players won't go to college that far away and will stay closer to home. Thats why over 40 players have been posted as signing or making commitments so far in Tennessee and most were very close to home. Yes some did sign with some larger D1 schools and I guess the next step is PRO BALL or even better, a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.Sound Familiar. And most didn't go to Hawaii or Arizona or miss much school and likely were better prepared for life and its educational needs. GC, even us ignorant ones have sense enough to know whats important. And GC where did most of the players go from around District 13 with the exception of Fussell. Pretty sharp kids.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope they received help from the tournaments, especially the one in the Pacific. I did a quick check of prices on a well known travel site and to Hawaii flights from Memphis and back ranged from $1700 to $2200 per person, to Phoenix and back from $800 to $1100. Those were "deals".

I can see his point, it seems almost as if the AAU travel season is going into high school seasons for some teams. On the other hand if they have the resources plus the ability to compete, they should go for it.

For players who aspire to play at the collegiate level and who don't play over the summer, I really hope they are getting on the road in high school. The only coaches just "dropping in" to see local games are local coaches. Well that's great if those schools need a player with your skill set AND that school meets your academic requirements and your style of play, but how likely is that to happen with only one school showing any interest? Any player who limits herself in this way does herself a great injustice in not affording herself every opportunity to be seen, and thus have the best chance of making the choice that is right for her, not simply hoping that someone or anyone will offer her a scholarship. It's simple really. When you see a college coach sitting in on a practice or coming to a game, just ask, "who are you here to see and when did you first see her play?" That coach will likely tell you they are there to see a specific player that they first saw her play at a specific "exposure" tournament. They didn't just happen to stumble in to check out the talent, they didn't check the local newspaper for the stats, they came because they have already seen that potential recruit.

And the thing is, the Ballards and Whitesides actually don't need another exposure tournament, they have enough D1 offers already. It's the freshmen who need to be noticed and evaluated as early as possible to get on the radar and the role players on the team whose potential needs to be weighed by as many programs as possible for the best possible fit.

Edited by BBallExtreme

GCPioneer, on 26 December 2010 - 11:27 PM, said:

Well, considering their two best players are Juniors, expect to see Memphis Central continue to go to these nat'l tournaments and continue to battle. They didn't do so well at the tournament in Arizona, but did extremely well in Hawaii. You guys fail to look at that part. I've never compared Memphis Central to Shelbyville. Shelbyville was a nat'l powerhouse for years and Memphis Central is a long ways from there. If Central wins state this year, what will you guys have to say for next year when they travel to the nat'l tournaments with this extremely talented team they have? PHargis has been bashing this 1 topic since last year and he sounds ignorant everytime he post about it. I promise you if Gibson Co. would've had the team they've had the past 2 years, this year.... I would beg for them to play in some nat'l tournaments. Whether we do well or not would be a different story, but it'd be a good measuring stick.

If Central wins the title then they will get the congrats they deserve but next year will be next year. You are to caught up in the past and future. Would Gibson County have been as good if the recruit fom OC had not have came over?

For players who aspire to play at the collegiate level and who don't play over the summer, I really hope they are getting on the road in high school. The only coaches just "dropping in" to see local games are local coaches. Well that's great if those schools need a player with your skill set AND that school meets your academic requirements and your style of play, but how likely is that to happen with only one school showing any interest? Any player who limits herself in this way does herself a great injustice in not affording herself every opportunity to be seen, and thus have the best chance of making the choice that is right for her, not simply hoping that someone or anyone will offer her a scholarship. It's simple really. When you see a college coach sitting in on a practice or coming to a game, just ask, "who are you here to see and when did you first see her play?" That coach will likely tell you they are there to see a specific player that they first saw at a specific "exposure" tournament. They didn't just happen to stumble in to check out the talent, they didn't check the local newspaper for the stats, they came because they have already seen that potential recruit.

And the thing is, the Ballards and Whitesides actually don't need another exposure tournament, they have enough D1 offers already. It's the freshmen who need to be noticed and evaluated as early as possible to get on the radar and the role players on the team whose potential needs to be weighed by as many programs as possible for the best possible fit.

I thought that is what AAU was doing?

I hope they received help from the tournaments, especially the one in the Pacific. I did a quick check of prices on a well known travel site and to Hawaii flights from Memphis and back ranged from $1700 to $2200 per person, to Phoenix and back from $800 to $1100. Those were "deals".

I can see his point, it seems almost as if the AAU travel season is going into high school seasons for some teams. On the other hand if they have the resources plus the ability to compete, they should go for it.

Indian, maybe you might look in the TSSAA rule book and see if it is legal to pay for players and coaches to go to Exposure Tournaments in Arizona and Hawaii and likely accept shoes or other items during toimes they are supposed to be in school or was the TSSAA being asked. And how can their transportation be paid. Some schools pay thier own way and I believe thats what happened here. Of course, a bus to Arizona, plane to and from back to arizona, a stay over and a bus back to Memphis likley made sense or a deep pockets sponser likely did it. Go for it. I believe their record is 7-5.

If Central wins the title then they will get the congrats they deserve but next year will be next year. You are to caught up in the past and future. Would Gibson County have been as good if the recruit fom OC had not have came over?

I thought that is what AAU was doing?

I did specify "for those who don't play over the summer".

I did specify "for those who don't play over the summer".

My bad but how many from Memphis (with any talent what so ever), particularly Central doesn't play AAU? Not trying to be a downer here or hi-jacker. Wish nothing but the best for these kids and any exposure they may recieve.

For players who aspire to play at the collegiate level and who don't play over the summer, I really hope they are getting on the road in high school. The only coaches just "dropping in" to see local games are local coaches. Well that's great if those schools need a player with your skill set AND that school meets your academic requirements and your style of play, but how likely is that to happen with only one school showing any interest? Any player who limits herself in this way does herself a great injustice in not affording herself every opportunity to be seen, and thus have the best chance of making the choice that is right for her, not simply hoping that someone or anyone will offer her a scholarship. It's simple really. When you see a college coach sitting in on a practice or coming to a game, just ask, "who are you here to see and when did you first see her play?" That coach will likely tell you they are there to see a specific player that they first saw her play at a specific "exposure" tournament. They didn't just happen to stumble in to check out the talent, they didn't check the local newspaper for the stats, they came because they have already seen that potential recruit.

I ask this question with only respect. Extreme, what association do you have with AAU in Memphis. This might give your answer some creditability although it sounds right.

Ltdan, why does the player transferring from oc to here have anything to do with this subject? To answer your question, no we wouldn't have been as good, its common since. She's play d1 ball at utm on scholarship. Need we say more. Phargis, I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. I think its great for kids to have this type of opportunity. You don't. Its just a difference in opinion.

I think you are right but my posts were from experience because I had someone that went to go to exposure in the past few years in Memphis. There seemed to be two there in the summer. To again close this subject from my point of view, and someone else picked it up also during this discussion, High school players DO get a lot of exposure in the State as there are some huge preseason High School Camps that I have seen periodically in Winchester, the BORO and Tournaments going on on at a lot of places during the season. So much so I counted over 40 kids on a post from someone who has just posted on this subject with this subject and is not in the Memphis area. They are from one end to the State to the other and admit they are the best in the area <_< . The facts are almost out almost not entirely. There was a question not answered in the debate. Well meaning AAU Coaches and organizations mostly are the ones who post the commonly used comments, i'e', HS Coaches are not cooperating with them, players are nto getting a chance in high schools, there are no good coaches in High school in the area and it goes on and on. In the past three years,its obvious these same comments came from Memphis also but they also came from Upper East Tennessee also. So what is the next things that happens???? Now hold on to your hat, the populous start trying to find ways to take care of the problems that skirt the rules concerning zoning. And who is at the forefront? The summer AAU Coaches,i.e., Shoe organizations and whoever and then the skirting continues a little further. To give everyone some credit, all are and can give some help. Some are self serving. Some school systems have made it convenient to bypass zoning but yet stay within theose same rules. People who think their child is not getting the best will find ways to try to get the best. There are so many different kinds of schools with so many kinds of programs that are said to be the difference, once you drill down to find out whar is behind an effort, sometimes its well meaning and sometimes its not. Most of the time you just have to follow the money and you will get there. Thats not what this is. Evidently some schools do not want to interact with others in a State. It is the sign of the times. And its not all bad. Some tim back some Memphis schools in some desperation tried to become private schools because what they were doing was not satisfying their needs. They have found a way to skirt zoning to get what the need and found a vehicle to compete on a national basis. The TSSAA has waivered some distance rules to get there but they must have cooperated. All of this makes you think there is some opposition to doing this. No there isn't but all a school has to do is say they do not want to be under the auspicess of the TSSAA and they don't have to play under it. The organization seems to have tried steps but sometimes communities can't find ways to do what they want and just skirt the line enough to do what they want. Indian was right(previous post). If you want to spend the money to do it and its within the rules, do it. Evidently some want what they perceive is better than what they have.

One last thing, if you are competing from strenth in a State why do you want to change. Just to travel more. Such is the state of womens basketball.