Tri-County Seven

coachh17

Weather is still a problem. Hopefully, our teams will get all their games in this week. There are no changes in this week's rankings. However, there are some big games this week that may shake things up.

1.Elizabethton(14-0)- Nice road win at Greeneville last week. Will be tested at South Greene Tuesday and at Unicoi Co. on Friday. Currently only playing 8 players in close games. Depth and lack of size are challenges.

2.Unicoi Co.(10-2)- At Hampton Tuesday and host Elizabethton Friday. Chance to move to #1.

3.Hampton(11-5)- Getting healthy and playing well. Drilled Happy Valley 67-47. Host Unicoi Co. Tuesday and a huge game at North Greene Friday.

4.Cloudland(11-3)- Lost 49-44 at North Greene. Host Unaka Tuesday. Can they beat Hampton? I do not know.

5.Happy Valley(5-5)- Crunched by Hampton and collapsed in the 4th quarter in a 54-53 loss to Boone. Still have some building to do and it takes time.

6.Unaka(5-12)- Lost to Unicoi Co. and North Greene last week. No easy task at Cloudland Tuesday.

7.Johnson County(0-6)- Only six scores posted. Tough make-up game at Betsy on Tuesday.

Edited by coachh17

A little more info on the Cloudland/North Greene game:

We started VERY slowly, uncharacteristic of our team. My thoughts are that our Freshman actually played like Freshman against NG. Really only had one player that I thought played the full 32 minutes. We dropped behind to about 15 or 16 points (I don't recall), and then played Cloudland basketball in the 4th. Made a great effort to pull back, actually could have easily tied or won the game with the effort starting a little earlier. Poor shot selection in the final minute or two doomed the effort.

On the other hand, this was a tough conference game for a very young Cloudland squad. Our Freshman have never played a conference game (excluding UH at home), first time they had seen the NG gym. And that gym is a tough place to play, with vocal and hostile fans, hostile referees, and so forth. Actually, I should say that the level of officiating was much higher than I expected from previous experience playing in Greene County. These guys reached a level of mediocrity. Much higher than usual there.

And the "clock malfunction" during a strong 4th Quarter Cloudland run didn't help us. We had scored on a couple of possessions and stopped them defensively. NG was having trouble getting the ball across half-court, and the Big Mo was definitely in Cloudland's favor. That 3-4 minutes of inactivity took a lot of wind out of the sails and allowed time for the NG guards to take a breath and calm down from the pressure.

Still, I think to only lose by 4 isn't too shabby. Look forward to playing them on our home floor soon.

The Highlander

A little more info on the Cloudland/North Greene game:

We started VERY slowly, uncharacteristic of our team. My thoughts are that our Freshman actually played like Freshman against NG. Really only had one player that I thought played the full 32 minutes. We dropped behind to about 15 or 16 points (I don't recall), and then played Cloudland basketball in the 4th. Made a great effort to pull back, actually could have easily tied or won the game with the effort starting a little earlier. Poor shot selection in the final minute or two doomed the effort.

On the other hand, this was a tough conference game for a very young Cloudland squad. Our Freshman have never played a conference game (excluding UH at home), first time they had seen the NG gym. And that gym is a tough place to play, with vocal and hostile fans, hostile referees, and so forth. Actually, I should say that the level of officiating was much higher than I expected from previous experience playing in Greene County. These guys reached a level of mediocrity. Much higher than usual there.

And the "clock malfunction" during a strong 4th Quarter Cloudland run didn't help us. We had scored on a couple of possessions and stopped them defensively. NG was having trouble getting the ball across half-court, and the Big Mo was definitely in Cloudland's favor. That 3-4 minutes of inactivity took a lot of wind out of the sails and allowed time for the NG guards to take a breath and calm down from the pressure.

Still, I think to only lose by 4 isn't too shabby. Look forward to playing them on our home floor soon.

The Highlander

officials allowed a very physical game. advantage cloudland. especially when the team ahead is attempting to take time off the clock and hand checks were ignored. 2 NG starters had 4 fouls the entire 4th period and were on the bench until late which also possibly aided the comeback. sounds like officiating kept the visitors in it if anything.

Hampton got a big road win at North Greene tonight. Congratulations to Coach Tolley and the Lady Dogs! Hampton hosts Unicoi Co. tomorrow night. Should be a good one.

It was not pretty, but Elizabethton took sole position of the District 1 lead with a 48-26 thumping of Unicoi Co. at the Devil's Den. The Lady Cyclones were 6 of 31 shooting in the first half and led like 16-14, or something close to that at the half. The shots started falling in the second half and the Lady Cyclones pulled away. Cara and Chelsea Bowling led the way with 15 and 14 points. Kristen Powell and Erin Kiser had 6 each. Emily Edwards had 18 for Unicoi Co. Shelton had 6 and Gardner 2, as only three Lady Devils scored. The game got nasty late. The Lady Devils were frustrated and committed two intentional fouls by pushing Lady Cyclones in the back on breakaway layups. I have seen it before and had a player undercut at Unicoi Co. a few years back, resulting in a concussion and broken arm for the player. There is no place for that type of play. Go Cyclones!!!!!!!!

Edited by coachh17

Hampton got a big road win at North Greene tonight. Congratulations to Coach Tolley and the Lady Dogs! Hampton hosts Unicoi Co. tomorrow night. Should be a good one.

It was not pretty, but Elizabethton took sole position of the District 1 lead with a 48-26 thumping of Unicoi Co. at the Devil's Den. The Lady Cyclones were 6 of 31 shooting in the first half and led like 16-14, or something close to that at the half. The shots started falling in the second half and the Lady Cyclones pulled away. Cara and Chelsea Bowling led the way with 15 and 14 points. Kristen Powell and Erin Kiser had 6 each. Emily Edwards had 18 for Unicoi Co. Shelton had 6 and Gardner 2, as only three Lady Devils scored. The game got nasty late. The Lady Devils were frustrated and committed two intentional fouls by pushing Lady Cyclones in the back on breakaway layups. I have seen it before and had a player undercut at Unicoi Co. a few years back, resulting in a concussion and broken arm for the player. There is no place for that type of play. Go Cyclones!!!!!!!!

Hate to hear that the game got nasty. That is not good for the game

Yeah, it was certainly apparent that both teams hadn't played for a while last night. I thought the Lady Cyclones looked particularly sluggish during the first half. I believe that was in large part due to the layoff as well as the fact Coach Dugger chose not to press. Regardless, I thought they showed great maturity by hitting the boards and forcing their will in the second half.

As for the intentional fouls, there is no excuse! I saw in the JC Press where Unicoi's coach defended his players by saying it was tough to judge "how hard to foul". Last night's display had nothing to do with how hard to foul and everything to do with how and when to foul. When you shove another player in the back on a breakaway without making any attempt at the ball, that's a flagrant foul with total disregard for the player's safety. Fouling is part of the game and the objective should be to keep the opponent from making the basket - not to injure them...

Hampton picked up 2 big wins on Friday & Saturday. They went to NG on Friday and played half the game without Weddle and still found a way to win 42-41. She actually fouled out with them trailing by 8 with 6 min left in the game and then last night they played GREAT in the first half and hung on to beat Unicoi Co. 55-47. The Lady Bulldogs were just beginning to play well before the snow hit and looks as if they may be getting it back. The snow also gave Weddle some extra time to heal and rest. I look forward to the rest of the season.