Baylor's Manley Approaching Mat Milestone

bbb

From his first win in his inaugural varsity match as an 103-pound, 8th grader in front of a full house at Soddy Daisy to a 6-0 mark at last weekend’s prestigious The Clash National Duals (Minn.), Baylor senior Alex Manley is on the verge of putting his name in the history books.

The seasoned veteran of more than 200 wrestling wars, he is 209-13 in four plus seasons in a Red Raider uniform and is 11 wins from being Tennessee’s all-time wins leader.

With coaches input from across the state, research shows nine Tennessee wrestlers have 200 or more wins with former Overton two-time state champ Charles McTorry heading the list at 219.

Manley and teammates wrestle in the Science Hill tournaments this weekend in Johnson City and the 2010 state champ could pick up six to seven victories, thus passing former Baylor national high school champion Jordan Leen (214), currently second on the all-time list.

The 200 Wins Club:

219 - Charles McTorry, Overton

214 - Jordan Leen, Baylor

213 - Brett Usary, Science Hill

212 - Ty Cody, Science Hill

209 - Alex Manley, Baylor

207 - Bo Usary, Science Hill

207 - Casey Brewster, Overton

206 - Bond Davis, Franklin

202 - Tim Voiles, Lookout Valley

In Saturday’s Fandetti-Richardson Brawl, Manley is the top seed at 135 as his toughest competition should come from second seed Kaleb Baker (Christian Brothers), No.3 Kevin Cooper (Simon Kenton, Ky.; 2010 state runner-up) and No.4 Javier Tapia (Science Hill). Manley edged Baker, 7-6, in last season’s state finals.

If Manley passes Leen this weekend, then a win against Ooltewah on Tuesday puts him within reach of the record when Baylor competes in the Southeaster Prep Slam in Atlanta next weekend.

“Longevity and durability are definitely the keys for me to have more than 200 wins,†said Manley. “I have been fortunate to have avoided serious injuries the past five years.

“Helping Baylor win state team titles and winning an individual title myself last year are so important, but to have a chance at being the all-time leader in career wins is pretty special.â€

Special is a good description of the Manley career as his mat biography points, in part, to an individual state title, a trio of first place medals at the prestigious McCallie Invitational and at last year’s Southeastern Prep Slam in Atlanta, a win against defending champ and the tournament’s 2009 outstanding wrestler Chris Caton of North Carolina who had beaten Manley at the 2009 Slam.

For the last five years Alex has been a tremendous asset to the Baylor wrestling program,†said first year Baylor head coach Ben Nelson. “His win total and state finishes speak for themselves.

“The truly impressive thing is his ability to balance his athletics with an incredibly demanding academic load, and be so successful at both. I think Alex epitomizes what we in the Baylor wrestling program expect; citizenship, a commitment to academics, and the desire to be your best on the mat.â€

Along with the rigors of a demanding wrestling season, Manley has also posted impressive numbers in the classroom with a 33 on the ACT and a 3.7 grade point average.

The 18-year-old Baylor tri-captain (along with Stuart Doster and John Mackey) has hopes of wrestling in college – top two choices are Stanford and Indiana (has been accepted) – followed by medical school.

In additional to having his name atop the wins column, the Manley name is already another prestigious list.

A handful of state champs later have seen their sons also stand atop the medal platform on a Saturday night, but for a dad to have two sons with gold medals is rare.

Manley’s brother, Spencer, was a two-time state champ and 2003 D-II state tournament outstanding wrestler for McCallie, while their dad, Tim, was an East Ridge state champ in 1980.

Brian Dunning (Hillwood) and his sons Raymond and Whitt (both at Father Ryan) also won state titles as did Christian Brothers products Tom Marable (father) and sons, Nick and Michael.

“My dad coached me in grammar school with the Harrison Wrestling Club and he still helps me with match strategy,†said Manley, self-described as “solid, but not the best youth wrestler on the teamâ€, who claimed youth area titles at Sunny Hill Elementary, Hunter Middle and Baylor Middle.

“He can watch an opponent just one or two times and can come up with a great plan for me. Having a dad and older brother who really know the sport was vital to my success early on.â€

And that success has continued through middle and high school as he is now within reach of an impressive numbers game.

Baylor Notes:

Manley’s Toughest Opponents: He lists Daniel Baucke (Christian Brothers), Chris Caton (N.C.), Michael Hooker (McCallie), T.J. Mitchell (Collins Hill), Brandon Westerman (McEachern).

Young And Good: Baylor coaches Ben Nelson and Schaack Van Deusen noted that a Mark Hall, a seventh grader at Apple Valley High School was 5-1 at 130 this past weekend at The Clash National Duals in Rochester, Minn., where Baylor was 4-2 and Manley, 6-0 … Hall had three pins and two major decision wins … only loss was to Rossi Bruno (Brandon, Fla.), 5-3 … Bruno was 6-0 and Brandon placed second to Apple Valley.

Seventh grade varsity wrestling is nothing new for coach Nelson as he was a seventh grade, 103-pound state qualifier for Wayzata High School (Minn.) … Nelson lettered six years and was a three-time state medalist.

contact B.B. Branton at william.bBranton@comcast.net

Edited by bbb

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From his first win in his inaugural varsity match as an 103-pound, 8th grader in front of a full house at Soddy Daisy to a 6-0 mark at last weekend’s prestigious The Clash National Duals (Minn.), Baylor senior Alex Manley is on the verge of putting his name in the history books.

The seasoned veteran of more than 200 wrestling wars, he is 209-13 in four plus seasons in a Red Raider uniform and is 11 wins from being Tennessee’s all-time wins leader.

With coaches input from across the state, research shows nine Tennessee wrestlers have 200 or more wins with former Overton two-time state champ Charles McTorry heading the list at 219.

Manley and teammates wrestle in the Science Hill tournaments this weekend in Johnson City and the 2010 state champ could pick up six to seven victories, thus passing former Baylor national high school champion Jordan Leen (214), currently second on the all-time list.

The 200 Wins Club:

219 - Charles McTorry, Overton

214 - Jordan Leen, Baylor

213 - Brett Usary, Science Hill

212 - Ty Cody, Science Hill

209 - Alex Manley, Baylor

207 - Bo Usary, Science Hill

207 - Casey Brewster, Overton

206 - Bond Davis, Franklin

202 - Tim Voiles, Lookout Valley

In Saturday’s Fandetti-Richardson Brawl, Manley is the top seed at 135 as his toughest competition should come from second seed Kaleb Baker (Christian Brothers), No.3 Kevin Cooper (Simon Kenton, Ky.; 2010 state runner-up) and No.4 Javier Tapia (Science Hill). Manley edged Baker, 7-6, in last season’s state finals.

If Manley passes Leen this weekend, then a win against Ooltewah on Tuesday puts him within reach of the record when Baylor competes in the Southeaster Prep Slam in Atlanta next weekend.

“Longevity and durability are definitely the keys for me to have more than 200 wins,†said Manley. “I have been fortunate to have avoided serious injuries the past five years.

“Helping Baylor win state team titles and winning an individual title myself last year are so important, but to have a chance at being the all-time leader in career wins is pretty special.â€

Special is a good description of the Manley career as his mat biography points, in part, to an individual state title, a trio of first place medals at the prestigious McCallie Invitational and at last year’s Southeastern Prep Slam in Atlanta, a win against defending champ and the tournament’s 2009 outstanding wrestler Chris Caton of North Carolina who had beaten Manley at the 2009 Slam.

For the last five years Alex has been a tremendous asset to the Baylor wrestling program,†said first year Baylor head coach Ben Nelson. “His win total and state finishes speak for themselves.

“The truly impressive thing is his ability to balance his athletics with an incredibly demanding academic load, and be so successful at both. I think Alex epitomizes what we in the Baylor wrestling program expect; citizenship, a commitment to academics, and the desire to be your best on the mat.â€

Along with the rigors of a demanding wrestling season, Manley has also posted impressive numbers in the classroom with a 33 on the ACT and a 3.7 grade point average.

The 18-year-old Baylor tri-captain (along with Stuart Doster and John Mackey) has hopes of wrestling in college – top two choices are Stanford and Indiana (has been accepted) – followed by medical school.

In additional to having his name atop the wins column, the Manley name is already another prestigious list.

A handful of state champs later have seen their sons also stand atop the medal platform on a Saturday night, but for a dad to have two sons with gold medals is rare.

Manley’s brother, Spencer, was a two-time state champ and 2003 D-II state tournament outstanding wrestler for McCallie, while their dad, Tim, was an East Ridge state champ in 1980.

Brian Dunning (Hillwood) and his sons Raymond and Whitt (both at Father Ryan) also won state titles as did Christian Brothers products Tom Marable (father) and sons, Nick and Michael.

“My dad coached me in grammar school with the Harrison Wrestling Club and he still helps me with match strategy,†said Manley, self-described as “solid, but not the best youth wrestler on the teamâ€, who claimed youth area titles at Sunny Hill Elementary, Hunter Middle and Baylor Middle.

“He can watch an opponent just one or two times and can come up with a great plan for me. Having a dad and older brother who really know the sport was vital to my success early on.â€

And that success has continued through middle and high school as he is now within reach of an impressive numbers game.

Baylor Notes:

Manley’s Toughest Opponents: He lists Daniel Baucke (Christian Brothers), Chris Caton (N.C.), Michael Hooker (McCallie), T.J. Mitchell (Collins Hill), Brandon Westerman (McEachern).

Young And Good: Baylor coaches Ben Nelson and Schaack Van Deusen noted that a Mark Hall, a seventh grader at Apple Valley High School was 5-1 at 130 this past weekend at The Clash National Duals in Rochester, Minn., where Baylor was 4-2 and Manley, 6-0 … Hall had three pins and two major decision wins … only loss was to Rossi Bruno (Brandon, Fla.), 5-3 … Bruno was 6-0 and Brandon placed second to Apple Valley.

Seventh grade varsity wrestling is nothing new for coach Nelson as he was a seventh grade, 103-pound state qualifier for Wayzata High School (Minn.) … Nelson lettered six years and was a three-time state medalist.

contact B.B. Branton at william.bBranton@comcast.net

Amazing wrestler does anybody know where TJ Duncan is as far as wins and Manley family is impressive but I was reading something and the Marable family is also impressive having Tom Marable as a two time state champion his brother Chris was a two time state champ and both of Toms sons Nick and Michael were both Two time state champs and nick was a Fargo national champ all very impressive.... State will be very exciting hopefully seeing people be the first 5x State Champ and 5x State placers

Amazing wrestler does anybody know where TJ Duncan is as far as wins and Manley family is impressive but I was reading something and the Marable family is also impressive having Tom Marable as a two time state champion his brother Chris was a two time state champ and both of Toms sons Nick and Michael were both Two time state champs and nick was a Fargo national champ all very impressive.... State will be very exciting hopefully seeing people be the first 5x State Champ and 5x State placers

Not sure on T.J. Duncan's career wins .. but he is probably close to 170 or so ... as an eighth grader, he did not wrestle a varsity match until right before Christmas (McCallie Invite) and placed third ...

Thanks for the good note on the Marables: 8 state titles in one family, impressive ... Simpsons are probably the only family to top that with 11 .. four sons of Frank Simpson (MBA) - Philip (4), Patrick (3), William (2), John Michael (2) ...

The Doster family (Baylor) has 7: David (1), Stokes (1), Reed (2), Stuart (3) and going for a fourth in Feb.

Edited by bbb

What is Mr. Zach Watson up to these days? I know he is not very likely to break this due to an injury from last year. I do not however believe he has lost a high school match, in Tennessee, and that for one could be a record of it's own.

None the less congratulations to Alex Manly, a great wrestler and an even better young man. It has been a privilege watching this young man develop over the years.

And memhpiswrestling171, there have been 5x state placers, but never has there been a 5x state champion. What an accomplishment by Mr. Duncan if he is able to stay healthy and win yet another state title this year.

PRT iii :flower:

Edited by PRTiii

Who are the 5x state placers

none in D-I ...

Jordan Leen (Baylor) - 5-1-1-1-1

Ryan Scott (McCallie) 3-1-1-1-1

there could be others ..

b.b.b.

in the old Mid South Conference (prep school conference) . a guy named Lou Hudson of McCallie lost 3 matches in four years (1963-66), but none to a Tenn. wrestler . Lou did not wrestle in the state but beat 6-7 state champs and beat three guys who won national titles and he won a national prep title as a senior .. he lost to two guys from The Hill School at the national tourney and a guy from Darlington (Rome, ga.) who he beat later on.

he was about 65-3 or so .. and later won a Big Ten title at Michigan

wrestlers in the TSSAA, Zach is on a short list

Randy Faires wrestled 2 1/2 seasons at Red Bank in mid 1960s and undefeated.

What a good review of the accomplishments of excellent wrestlers present and past! Another name to add to the discussion is that of Randy Weinberg of Baylor. What follows is my memory from forty years ago; so I request that BBB check my facts for accuracy. I believe that, like Bill Harlow, Randy was a five time Mid-South Champion. I'm pretty sure that in the eighth grade he lost twice to Ken Whitworth of East Ridge, who was a senior and a state champion, and that his only other losses occurred at the national tournament at Lehigh University. He entered that tournament four times, grades nine through twelve, and finished second, third, first, and second. All of this in addition to being president of his class and valedictorian of his class. A memorable wrestler and person.

Thank you BBB and Oldster. There is no doubt that the collective IQ of the wrestling board just peaked with this thread.

yes, you are correct on Randy Weinberg. so he had maybe 4-5 losses at nationals ... believe he wrestled at nationals all five years ... lost to Kenny W. as an eighth and ninth grader ... but of course no shame at that. kenny is one of the great lightweights in any era ..

Alec Roberts (Baylor, 63-67) is another to look at ... lost to Lawman Wells 1-2 times as an eighth grader and maybe to others ... but from 9-12 lost only to Lou Hudson as a soph. in Mid South finals of '65 and only other losses were at nationals .. so maybe 4 losses in last four years .

and Charlie Moore (Baylor) might have gone three years with only a loss or two at nationals (60-62) but not sure he was on varsity in '60 ..

yes, you are correct on Randy Weinberg. so he had maybe 4-5 losses at nationals ... believe he wrestled at nationals all five years ... lost to Kenny W. as an eighth and ninth grader ... but of course no shame at that. kenny is one of the great lightweights in any era ..

Alec Roberts (Baylor, 63-67) is another to look at ... lost to Lawman Wells 1-2 times as an eighth grader and maybe to others ... but from 9-12 lost only to Lou Hudson as a soph. in Mid South finals of '65 and only other losses were at nationals .. so maybe 4 losses in last four years .

and Charlie Moore (Baylor) might have gone three years with only a loss or two at nationals (60-62) but not sure he was on varsity in '60 ..

Lee Connell (McCallie) 5x medalist 1999-2003 4-2-2-1-1