Possibly be the worst call in the history!

smeagle1

Okay my kids just told me how the SM vs Whitwell game ended tonight and I must say I’m stunned. This has to possibly be the worst call in the history.

Whitwell scored to tie the game on a last second shot. After the horn had blown and the players were headed to their benches for OT the SM player carrying the ball slammed it in frustration. The Refs called a technical foul which should have been called for slamming the ball, but it’s what happened next. The refs got together and apparently the Whitwell coach was lobbying them to count the shots and not go to OT. The refs talked about it and called the Whitwell player out and when he made the first one they called it the game. Apparently at this point the SM coach got in the face of the refs but to no avail they had called the game and weren't going to change it and they weren't going to call anyone for a ruling. I have confirmed with several other people that were there that this is accurate. I was even told by a couple that the Whitwell coach when leaving told them we should be playing OT now.

How can 3 refs make such a mistake in High School Basketball? You would think one of the three would know how to handle this. Heck, I think recreation ball refs would have gotten this one right.

Don’t post much on B-ball but just thought I would share. If I hear anything else I will post an update. But if I don’t post you will know the TSSAA let it stand.

Okay my kids just told me how the SM vs Whitwell game ended tonight and I must say I’m stunned. This has to possibly be the worst call in the history.

Whitwell scored to tie the game on a last second shot. After the horn had blown and the players were headed to their benches for OT the SM player carrying the ball slammed it in frustration. The Refs called a technical foul which should have been called for slamming the ball, but it’s what happened next. The refs got together and apparently the Whitwell coach was lobbying them to count the shots and not go to OT. The refs talked about it and called the Whitwell player out and when he made the first one they called it the game. Apparently at this point the SM coach got in the face of the refs but to no avail they had called the game and weren't going to change it and they weren't going to call anyone for a ruling. I have confirmed with several other people that were there that this is accurate. I was even told by a couple that the Whitwell coach when leaving told them we should be playing OT now.

How can 3 refs make such a mistake in High School Basketball? You would think one of the three would know how to handle this. Heck, I think recreation ball refs would have gotten this one right.

even if it is wrong the TSSAA will let it stand I believe

Don’t post much on B-ball but just thought I would share. If I hear anything else I will post an update. But if I don’t post you will know the TSSAA let it stand.

TSSAA will let it stand I do believe... Edited by riverdaleman

It was probably the right call I was not there but if overtime had not started the techical was part of regulation because if clock stops in game and a T called it is shot before game resumes.

What? The clock had expired there was no time left. The game was not over it was going to an overtime period. What should have happened is the same thing that would have happened if a team had gotten a technical before the game started or between first and second period or at halftime or between the third and fourth period, which is starting the new period out with the team shooting free throws and getting the ball.

Were you one of the Refs? lol Last time I checked overtime was part of the game as soon as regulation ended in a tie.

Let me say again for clarification, regulation ended in a tie the teams were walking off the floor when the ball was slammed down. A technical called during a dead period is enforced at the beginning of the next period. Its really pretty straight forward and the fact that 3 Refs didn't get it right shows what a joke these officials were.

What? The clock had expired there was no time left. The game was not over it was going to an overtime period. What should have happened is the same thing that would have happened if a team had gotten a technical before the game started or between first and second period or at halftime or between the third and fourth period, which is starting the new period out with the team shooting free throws and getting the ball.

Were you one of the Refs? lol Last time I checked overtime was part of the game as soon as regulation ended in a tie.

Let me say again for clarification, regulation ended in a tie the teams were walking off the floor when the ball was slammed down. A technical called during a dead period is enforced at the beginning of the next period. Its really pretty straight forward and the fact that 3 Refs didn't get it right shows what a joke these officials were.

Whitwell!? Really. The game shouldn't have come down to that. I thought Signal Mtn was supposed to be the favorite to play CSAS in the region finals. Wow is all I have to say.

from my understanding of the rule and what you are saying this was the right call. I think I was told a couple of years ago by a ref that you could actually win a game by 1 point get a technical and the other team make both free throws and beat you even though the clock has all zero's. As a matter of fact I had a ref almost T up one of my kids after the game was over

from my understanding of the rule and what you are saying this was the right call. I think I was told a couple of years ago by a ref that you could actually win a game by 1 point get a technical and the other team make both free throws and beat you even though the clock has all zero's. As a matter of fact I had a ref almost T up one of my kids after the game was over

I don't know the rule, but this doesn't sound like a correct interpretation of the rule. Once the game is ended, I don't see how an official can call a technical foul. I suppose it wouldn't be the first time the rules didn't make sense though.

I don't know the rule, but this doesn't sound like a correct interpretation of the rule. Once the game is ended, I don't see how an official can call a technical foul. I suppose it wouldn't be the first time the rules didn't make sense though.

A few years back when they were emphasizing the uniform jersey rule (not taking it off until you get to the locker room) it was stated that a ref could give a tech if you took your jersey off even after the game horn sounded and if the outcome of the game changed.....oh well.

officials have hursidiction over the game floor until they actually exit the floor. Like I said last night one of the officials of the game I coached stood at halfcourt and waited for both team to leave the playing floor because one of my kids and a kid from the other team were jawing the official was close to giving them both technicals

Rule 5 - 2010-2011 Case Book Page 42

5.6 Comment B: "If a technical foul occurs after the ball has become dead to end a quarter, the next quarter is started by administering the free throws. This applies even when the foul occurs after the first half has ended. It also applies when the foul occurs after the second half has ended, provided the score is tied. If the score is NOT tied, the free throws ARE administered unless the outcome of the game will NOT be affected. If the outcome is not already decided, the free throws are attempted immediately as if the foul had been part of the fourth quarter. The division line throw-in following the technical foul cannot be carried over to the overtime as the fourth quarter ended with the last free throw." See Rule (5-6-4)

That rule reads "If a technical foul occurs after the ball has become dead to end a quarter or extra period, the next quarter or extra period is started by administering the free throws. This applies when the foul occurs after any quarter has ended, including the FOURTH quarter, provided there is to be an extra period. If there is no way to determine whether there will be an extra period until the free throws are administered, the free throws are attempted immediately, as if the foul had been a part of the preceding quarter."

So, if the score was tied and the fourth quarter had ended, (as per your initial post) and the technical then occurred with the score tied, the officials erred in their decision. The shots should have been taken to start the overtime, and the shooting team should get possession opposite table to start the overtime period. I have been a high school official for ten years, and always find unique rulings interesting. I hope this shines some light on the situation.

Edited by ernieg

Rule 5 - 2010-2011 Case Book Page 42

5.6 Comment B: "If a technical foul occurs after the ball has become dead to end a quarter, the next quarter is started by administering the free throws. This applies even when the foul occurs after the first half has ended. It also applies when the foul occurs after the second half has ended, provided the score is tied. If the score is NOT tied, the free throws ARE administered unless the outcome of the game will NOT be affected. If the outcome is not already decided, the free throws are attempted immediately as if the foul had been part of the fourth quarter. The division line throw-in following the technical foul cannot be carried over to the overtime as the fourth quarter ended with the last free throw." See Rule (5-6-4)

That rule reads "If a technical foul occurs after the ball has become dead to end a quarter or extra period, the next quarter or extra period is started by administering the free throws. This applies when the foul occurs after any quarter has ended, including the FOURTH quarter, provided there is to be an extra period. If there is no way to determine whether there will be an extra period until the free throws are administered, the free throws are attempted immediately, as if the foul had been a part of the preceding quarter."

So, if the score was tied and the fourth quarter had ended, (as per your initial post) and the technical then occurred with the score tied, the officials erred in their decision. The shots should have been taken to start the overtime, and the shooting team should get possession opposite table to start the overtime period. I have been a high school official for twelve years, and always find unique rulings interesting. I hope this shines some light on the situation.

Well there you have it I stand corrected. Can a complaint be filed on this? just wodering