Mr Basketball Thread

CoachT

why are you talking about Mercer in the Mr. Basketball thread?

Well I felt like it. But if you want me to get back on topic, I can. I haven't seen Hughes play, but I have seen the Smith brothers. Even though they didn't make it to state, they still have to be a hands down favorite over anyone else.

Well I felt like it. But if you want me to get back on topic, I can. I haven't seen Hughes play, but I have seen the Smith brothers. Even though they didn't make it to state, they still have to be a hands down favorite over anyone else.

Law, this is like playing cards with my sister's kids

I realize my username might be a misnomer, but at least it isn't as bad as sportsguru15. Man, what have you been smokin?!!! I've only seen the Smith twins play 4 times, but it was obvious the talent was there. Congrats to Perry Co., but to call those boys the choke twins is WRONG. They have done nothing but prove their worth for the last four years; AND they DO have a championship ring to show for their efforts.

Oh, and akaGlazed, why are you glazed over? It's getting so old to here you guys from the West cry about the East teams being weak. Check the record Book, but I think that over the last twenty years the West holds only a 12 to 8 lead in State Championships in Class A. And right now, the top 3 teams in AAA are from the East. So step off. The West has loaded up Class A with private schools that DO recruit and I will admit the West is stronger. But, it's just like watching the NCAA brackets tonight, the system is set up to give teams that aren't the strongest the opportunity to experience the glory of playing at a level that brings those boys the feeling of jubilation they get to pass on to their kids, grand-kids, etc. And that shouldn't be taken away because the West has a higher number of schools that get to go out entice players to come play for their program because of academic excellence, better facilities, improved collegiate opportunities, etc. I realize private schools have more to offer and if I could afford it, or if my kids could secure scholarships, my children would attend private institutions. But, this does give them an advantage over public schools and the West is loaded with private schools.

I am a supporter of Oneida High School athletics and I remember in 1994 when we went to the final four of the state only to lose to Battle Ground Academy. In the other semi-final game, Summertown lost to private school Goodpasture who was led by future NBA player Ron Mercer. From what I understand, Mercer was not from anywhere near the Goodpasture school(great recruiting, I guess). I can still remember that Friday night going out to eat with our coach, Bill Hall, and the head coach from Summertown and discussing the fact that we should find a gym and play the public school state championship somewhere on Sunday. Ha! Ha! But that has happened several times over the years where the public schools have had to watch the championship game from the stands, while it's all private schools in the championship game.

Anyway, I digress. Hughes is a great player and would be a fine choice for Mr. Basketball, but the award isn't based on whose team goes the furthest. It would be nice if they could give co-Mr. Basketball awards this year in Class A. Probably won't happen, but the Smith twins deserve it.

By the way, go Hampton and Cloudland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by coachjeffers

I realize my username might be a misnomer, but at least it isn't as bad as sportsguru15. Man, what have you been smokin?!!! I've only seen the Smith twins play 4 times, but it was obvious the talent was there. Congrats to Perry Co., but to call those boys the choke twins is WRONG. They have done nothing but prove their worth for the last four years; AND they DO have a championship ring to show for their efforts.

Oh, and akaGlazed, why are you glazed over? It's getting so old to here you guys from the West cry about the East teams being weak. Check the record Book, but I think that over the last twenty years the West holds only a 12 to 8 lead in State Championships in Class A. And right now, the top 3 teams in AAA are from the East. So step off. The West has loaded up Class A with private schools that DO recruit and I will admit the West is stronger. But, it's just like watching the NCAA brackets tonight, the system is set up to give teams that aren't the strongest the opportunity to experience the glory of playing at a level that brings those boys the feeling of jubilation they get to pass on to their kids, grand-kids, etc. And that shouldn't be taken away because the West has a higher number of schools that get to go out entice players to come play for their program because of academic excellence, better facilities, improved collegiate opportunities, etc. I realize private schools have more to offer and if I could afford it, or if my kids could secure scholarships, my children would attend private institutions. But, this does give them an advantage over public schools and the West is loaded with private schools.

I am a supporter of Oneida High School athletics and I remember in 1994 when we went to the final four of the state only to lose to Battle Ground Academy. In the other semi-final game, Summertown lost to private school Goodpasture who was led by future NBA player Ron Mercer. From what I understand, Mercer was not from anywhere near the Goodpasture school(great recruiting, I guess). I can still remember that Friday night going out to eat with our coach, Bill Hall, and the head coach from Summertown and discussing the fact that we should find a gym and play the public school state championship somewhere on Sunday. Ha! Ha! But that has happened several times over the years where the public schools have had to watch the championship game from the stands, while it's all private schools in the championship game.

Anyway, I digress. Hughes is a great player and would be a fine choice for Mr. Basketball, but the award isn't based on whose team goes the furthest. It would be nice if they could give co-Mr. Basketball awards this year in Class A. Probably won't happen, but the Smith twins deserve it.

By the way, go Hampton and Cloudland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOO, 'glazed just got smoked! We E Tn, cake walkers kinda got tired of messn with him!

Love the post!

Edited by uknoit2