referees

cascadebbmom

Most of them try I think. Some miss alot more than others. What bugs me most are those that let their emotions get involved and make obviously bad calls or no call when obviously should just to anger a fan/player/coach when everybody in the gym knows the correct call, yet they cheat the young athletes and causes a different outcome of the game in some instances & nothing can be done about it. The person with the striped shirt can do what they want. Refs should avoid their own emotions & call the game as fair as possible & be consistant about it.

Don't feel singled out in you district, it is all over the state. I haven't seen a game all year that was called fairly either way. I don't think they call the walk in girls HS ball anymore and you can forget about the 3 second violation, kids can not onlyhave lunch but dinner too in the lane and not get called. It's terrible all over, I saw a ref the other night looking at his watch and then score board the whole game, like he didn't even want to be there.

Don't feel singled out in you district, it is all over the state. I haven't seen a game all year that was called fairly either way. I don't think they call the walk in girls HS ball anymore and you can forget about the 3 second violation, kids can not onlyhave lunch but dinner too in the lane and not get called. It's terrible all over, I saw a ref the other night looking at his watch and then score board the whole game, like he didn't even want to be there.

I watched the num 1 ranked AAA girls team in the state two weeks ago. They had a ref that went to the scorers table at every time out and checked his phone. Looked like he even sent a couple texts in the process.

If your coach/athletic director does not feel as though the officials were professional and handled their "business" in a professional manner, they should send an official complaint to the assigning officer or supervisor of the officials association. Sending text during the game is 100% NOT ACCEPTABLE !!! We had some officials doing that and they were reprimanded and dealt with swiftly. There is no place for that in the game AT ALL.

If you are not sure of the supervisor/assigning officer that handles your area , send me a private message and I will make sure that you have their contact info. The un-professional behavior MUST STOP !!!

I watched the num 1 ranked AAA girls team in the state two weeks ago. They had a ref that went to the scorers table at every time out and checked his phone. Looked like he even sent a couple texts in the process.

I must have missed that game...I do not think refs cheat or favor 1 team or the other I also understand putting new refs on some district games but i wish they wouldnt put the inexperienced official when you have the top 2 teams going at it...we had an official that struggels during the middle school games and then this official was on Riverdale Blackman...needless to say i wasnt the only one complaning about officiating...i know they got to get their feet wet but i think we can do a better and which game they get their feet wet in

Why can't we ever get any decent refs in 9A????

Interesting note cascadebbmom. As recent as two seasons ago there was a young lady referee that worked in games in District 9a. I believe her last name was Womack. Turned on the TV last night and there she was on the big stage in Knoxville calling the UT v FL womens game.

The good ones move on!!!

Interesting note cascadebbmom. As recent as two seasons ago there was a young lady referee that worked in games in District 9a. I believe her last name was Womack. Turned on the TV last night and there she was on the big stage in Knoxville calling the UT v FL womens game.

The good ones move on!!!

They complained about her when she was in 9a

I often feel that refs have 'agendas' in games (I watch 15A), but I actually feel better about our refs now that I know some others are checking TEXTS... Wow... that's horrible.

Some of my pet peeves:

* If one team plays aggressive defense and presses, yes they are going to foul you more. I've watched several games this year where the opposing team was pressing and the refs would call 4 or 5 quick fouls on them (rightly so), but then the refs start looking at the scoreboard and try to 'even up' the fouls - and so our girls begin getting called for 'touchy' fouls or even NON fouls. And it seems that the calls against us end up being shooting fouls.

* I've been lucky to have two daughters on very good teams this year (one in Middle & one in HS). I've seen both these teams punished for being ahead in the 2nd half of MANY games. Refs 'calling the scoreboard' drives me CRAZY. Just because a team is down 10+ points does not mean you should stop calling fouls against them or allowing them to travel, camp in the lane, etc.

* If it isn't on the court, the refs should not be concerned with it (barring foul language or items being thrown on the court). I've witnessed refs having arguments with students and fans... if the student/ fan is being beligerent (cursing, etc.), have them removed and move on with the game. Don't stand there and argue with them.

* I have witnessed a referee follow a player all the way to the bench - one end of the court to the other - after calling a foul on the player. The player was angry because he thought the call was incorrect, but he was moving toward his own bench as the coach was removing him from the game. A referee should never follow the player all the way to the bench just waiting for the player to do something worthy of a technical (baiting the player into saying something). He should have stopped at the scorer's table and reported the foul, then moved on with the game.

WHEW... it felt good to get those off my chest LOL... I hope the tournament refs are better than some that I have seen this year. It may seem like 'sour grapes,' but I really feel that bad officials CAN affect the outcome of a game... and I'm not just full of anger or bitterness - my two daughters' respective teams have only lost one game among them this year and I don't blame the one loss on refs.