elizabethton no hieght

jeffs

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just love it when someone that likely hasn't even seen a team play provides expert commentary on what they need. It's no secret that the Lady Cyclones lack height. There have been few games this year when EHS did not have a height disadvantage. At times that has created match-up problems for them. However, that deficiency has also been an asset at times against bigger teams. The Lady Cyclones lost tonight because of poor execution and not playing up to par, not because of lack of height. The girls were somewhat lackadaisical on D and didn't get good position to rebound. CAK played a very good game and deserved to win. The Lady Cyclones were 15 of 30 at the line and missed at least a half dozen chippies. You can't expect to beat a quality opponent with a performance like that. EHS played very well a few weeks back and beat CAK by 30 at home - same teams with the same personnel on different nights. I'm disappointed they lost as I'm certain they are too. However, I hope this will be a learning experience for the girls and coaches and will ultimately help them during the tournaments. Time will tell. Go Lady Cyclones!

Tonight was the first game I have seen EHS play this year. They are a very good team but nowhere near as dominant as their record indicates. Its no secret that District One is down except for EHS. District Two is more competitive and although EHS swept SG and Gville this year, that wont mean much in two weeks, just like their blowout of CAK two weeks ago didnt mean anything tonight. And Chucky Doak is very good in D2. The Region One tourney will not be the EHS Invitational like some may have thought. On the other hand this takes some pressure off EHS and may actually help them get down the road. It does show they are beatable though.

I think Region Two took offense at EHSs sports information director Fritzs article in the JC paper a week or so ago which stated that Region Two was way way down this year and Region One should have two teams in the Boro this year. Yep that article made its way to several teams in Region Two. Remember Glenn Fishers boy coaches at Fulton.......

The bigger they are the harder they fall

Tonight was the first game I have seen EHS play this year. They are a very good team but nowhere near as dominant as their record indicates. Its no secret that District One is down except for EHS. District Two is more competitive and although EHS swept SG and Gville this year, that wont mean much in two weeks, just like their blowout of CAK two weeks ago didnt mean anything tonight. And Chucky Doak is very good in D2. The Region One tourney will not be the EHS Invitational like some may have thought. On the other hand this takes some pressure off EHS and may actually help them get down the road. It does show they are beatable though.

I think Region Two took offense at EHSs sports information director Fritzs article in the JC paper a week or so ago which stated that Region Two was way way down this year and Region One should have two teams in the Boro this year. Yep that article made its way to several teams in Region Two. Remember Glenn Fishers boy coaches at Fulton.......

The bigger they are the harder they fall

I can see why you might come to some of your conclusions after having seen just one game. It is no secret that District 1 is down this year. District 2 is more competitive from top to bottom. I certainly realize that the blowout win over CAK a few weeks back didn't mean much tonight, but if you had seen that game you would likely have a different opinion about EHS. EHS is not unbeatable (as was proven tonight) but they are very good and have earned every win they got this year. I know CAK beat Betsy tonight, but ask the CAK coach who is the best team he has played this year. To imply EHS is not as good as their record is a little misleading. I would agree that R2 is down from years past. That doesn't mean anything at tournament time. Neither rankings nor records win any team a ballgame. The kids have to decide the games on the court. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you don't have to be the best team to win, just the best team on a particular day. BTW, the bigger they are, the harder they are to make fall too!!

I don't claim to be a basketball coach, but I have seen every CAK game this season including the CAK / Elizabethton game at ETown. Betsy is the best team CAK has seen this year IMO. In the first match up, ETown had an incredible shooting night. #33 (I think) was 7 of 8 from 3 point territory and I think the team had around 16 - 18 3pointers. Betsy was really on that night; I have never seen anything like it. While they are the better team, their incredible shooting night did skew it a bit. I don't think 30 points would separate these teams on average if they played 10 times.

CAK played their best game tonight so far this year. Overall, they are a young team and had a very good night. Hammaker (8th grader) is the real deal, as was proved tonight with 32 points. Elizabethton will be fine in district and region play, in fact, this may be a good wake up call to get their attention. CAK had a very good game plan, which allowed them to hang with and eventually defeat an outstanding team.

I have really enjoyed the nice rivalry that has developed between these 2 fine schools, both football and basketball. Nice pizza party after the games were completed, open to everyone! I hope our friends from ETown had a safe trip home and have a great run in the region!

.PS: #33 is the best 3 point shooter I have seen this year, male or female

Edited by Govolsknox

Where was Hammaker zoned to play?

I don't claim to be a basketball coach, but I have seen every CAK game this season including the CAK / Elizabethton game at ETown. Betsy is the best team CAK has seen this year IMO. In the first match up, ETown had an incredible shooting night. #33 (I think) was 7 of 8 from 3 point territory and I think the team had around 16 - 18 3pointers. Betsy was really on that night; I have never seen anything like it. While they are the better team, their incredible shooting night did skew it a bit. I don't think 30 points would separate these teams on average if they played 10 times.

CAK played their best game tonight so far this year. Overall, they are a young team and had a very good night. Hammaker (8th grader) is the real deal, as was proved tonight with 32 points. Elizabethton will be fine in district and region play, in fact, this may be a good wake up call to get their attention. CAK had a very good game plan, which allowed them to hang with and eventually defeat an outstanding team.

I have really enjoyed the nice rivalry that has developed between these 2 fine schools, both football and basketball. Nice pizza party after the games were completed, open to everyone! I hope our friends from ETown had a safe trip home and have a great run in the region!

Very good post - your analysis is accurate. During the first matchup, EHS was 15 of 23 from 3 (#33 had 7 and #30 had 5). I agree the point spread from the first game is skewed. However, if both teams are at their best, Betsy is 15 points better in my opinion. That's no slight to CAK. Overall they have a very young team and no doubt Hammaker is the real deal. She is a future D1 prospect. CAK's game plan was good and EHS's game plan was too conservative. Hopefully this will be a wakeup call to Betsy that games aren't won on paper and that other teams aren't going to just come out and rollover. As an EHS fan and parent, I appreciate the hospitality and well wishes received from CAK. Good luck to you in district and region as well. We may see each other again before the season is over.