Clarksville Girls tonight

Harlow

Good darn question. A few years ago I asked what I considered a good coach about that one time and he said he was working out some kinks, and it was late in the season just like this. Well the way I see it all the kinks are on the bench this time of year. Get them up and work them out and give the work mules a rest. Show a little coaching class.

Clarksville on their way to a 75 to 39 win. Mercy rule in effect. Four starters in at the end of the game. Coach (?) Rush calling timeouts in fourth quarter.

I don't get it. Can someone help me?

This situation,and the way it's percieved has been raising eyebrows for decades.I will not pretend to know what goes through coaches heads to trounce into the ground an inferior opponent(consisting of teenage girls).The traditionial arguement has been "it's nothing personal,my team needed the reps'" which works to a point but get real,if you're 35 points better than them,it's not testing your kids or improving your team.I'll agree with one scenario,dont tell your kids to "back-off" their intensity,but put your subs in,don't press,stop running plays,work on a four corners (stalling) offense...ect.There's no way to validate finishing the game with the same team on the floor that would have been there had it been a six point spread,instead of thirty-six.If the subs had played a considerable amount,and the four in at the end were seniors,fine to be recognised in that manner.A coaches influence on these impressionable young kids is significant,and setting a good example for them should be a higher priority than some display.

Don't worry about what the other team is doing. Worry about why your team is down 35 and what you can do about it. It's better to play against the best, because it helps you to get better. Sure, leaving starters in after a game is decided has possible down sides. Every coach knows that and makes their own decisions.

look at their box scores, they do it every game. they are extremely lucky to not have had an injury to ruin their chances at a state run. couple weeks ago one of their big 3 went down with just an ankle sprain. i think the score was 50-9 when it happened. would hate to see something worse happen, karma has a funny way of finding you. they are a great squad so i guess when you have it, flaunt it.

• 2 weeks later...

look at their box scores, they do it every game. they are extremely lucky to not have had an injury to ruin their chances at a state run. couple weeks ago one of their big 3 went down with just an ankle sprain. i think the score was 50-9 when it happened. would hate to see something worse happen, karma has a funny way of finding you. they are a great squad so i guess when you have it, flaunt it.

Wait and see what kind of draw they get at the state tournament - the "game" knows.