Refs at State

hrdcrwrestler

Saw some great matches come down to the wire! What a weekend! How do you guys and gals feel the refs did? I saw some good and bad calls........ Some times the second ref seemed to be security watch rather than a second set of eyes on the match. (Backpoint man.... backpoints...) Oh well, congrats to CLEVELAND! YOU GUYS ROCK! "130 fifth and sixth was a back breaker." Nick still loves you guys though!!!!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall, the refs at state did a great job. While I did see a handful of questionable calls, overall the calling was pretty solid. The one thing I think we as officials need to do better is to be more consistent in calling stalling. Unfortunately, we do not receive any direct training on stalling; hopefully, we in middle Tennessee can correct that in the near future.

Edited by garnerc

To me, it doesnt seem to matter what training is given to the refs on stalling. There is still a lot of inconsistency in the calls and non-calls alike.

Some guys will call a stall after 10 seconds and some after nearly a full minute. Makes it hard on the wrestlers to know what is a good strategy and what is not. Part of the sport I guess.

Seen some missed calls on the mat with D1 and D2. I also agree that it appeared that two were not refs on the mat, but only one, the other just approved or disapproved. Maybe a refresher course and rules should be reinforced prior to the first day of wrestling at state. Maybe, bring in out of state refs for the matches so there are no bias refs.

Overall, the refs at state did a great job. While I did see a handful of questionable calls, overall the calling was pretty solid. The one thing I think we as officials need to do better is to be more consistent in calling stalling. Unfortunately, we do not receive any direct training on stalling; hopefully, we in middle Tennessee can correct that in the near future.

sounds like a good idea; just don't let jack teach it!

Saw some great matches come down to the wire! What a weekend! How do you guys and gals feel the refs did? I saw some good and bad calls........ Some times the second ref seemed to be security watch rather than a second set of eyes on the match. (Backpoint man.... backpoints...) Oh well, congrats to CLEVELAND! YOU GUYS ROCK! "130 fifth and sixth was a back breaker." Nick still loves you guys though!!!!

Mr. Hardcr, you will be upset with my comments, but that certain 130 match you are referring to, Mr. Maxwell pinned himself several times. Luckily the refs did not call it, keeping the match going. Thank the refs for that. Yes calls were inconsistent, but we get what we get.

Mr. Hardcr, you will be upset with my comments, but that certain 130 match you are referring to, Mr. Maxwell pinned himself several times. Luckily the refs did not call it, keeping the match going. Thank the refs for that. Yes calls were inconsistent, but we get what we get.

Couldn't disagree more... If they would have saw the pin, I'm sure they would have called it! Just hated to see that the score was not moving. I was just glad he placed given all the drama from this year. Nick was glad to just place in that weight class! I too saw the the scramble to get to the side and not expose his back while holding the other kid down as well.... Oh well, you win some and you lose some.... It was a good match!

Stalling was not the same across the board. There would be stalling for a wrestler who was out to the side and there would be no calling for others who rode the hips. It was obvious. Some wrestlers would go out to the side for a second and then go back to the hips and not do anything and nothing would be called.

Saw it called both ways.

garnerc, you need to actually make the training sessions before you talk about what we did or did not do in them.

Believe it or not, the TSSAA is not very good about communicating with first-year officials. The one thing I was told to attend was the rules meeting, and the officials were pulled to the side for no more than 10 minutes after the main meeting was over. Surely you do not believe that stalling is called consistently by all officials? I myself know it is not something I call terribly well. I think the Federation should produce some training videos that show multiple examples of stalling in specific situations. It would be best for veteran officials to review the videos with younger officials, but if that was not possible, there is no reason an online training program could not be offerred.