Gaining a medal you did not deserve

hoosierdad

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you do not make weight on Saturday morning, how do you get to walk in the Parade of Champions and get a 6th place medal?

I thought you had to weigh in on Saturday morning to earn the medal?

Have I missed something or has it changed?

well something isnt right with your post.

if you dont make weight,you cant place,PERIOD!!!.so either your wrong or somebody has some explaining to do?

well something isnt right with your post.

if you dont make weight,you cant place,PERIOD!!!.so either your wrong or somebody has some explaining to do?

There is nothing wrong with my post. A wrestler did not make weight, being told .2 over; however, able to walk in the Parade of Champions and accept the 6th place medal.

I heard on another post that a wrestler did not make weight on Saturday at the McCallie tournament; however, he got his 6th place medal.

Has the rule changed?

There should not have been a 6th place awarded. The wrestler was no longer in the tournament after he missed weight. This decision could have an effect for next years seeding. Is he going to be a returning 2011 medalist or not?(not sure if he had placed in prior years).

Placed 3rd at 112 in 2010 according to the brackets.

There should not have been a 6th place awarded. The wrestler was no longer in the tournament after he missed weight. This decision could have an effect for next years seeding. Is he going to be a returning 2011 medalist or not?(not sure if he had placed in prior years).

Yes he did place 3rd at 112 last year. It's a shame Jacob didn't make weight, he's a very good wrestler and it would have been fun to have seen him wrestle again on Saturday. That war he had with Boone was probably the best match of the entire tournament, certainly the most evenly matched.

This should have taken care of at 10:00 on Saturday morning when the wrestler in question did not report to the mat for his consolation semi-final match. The official goes to the coach and then to the head table where he is informed the wrestler did not make weight according to a tournament worker. At this point it should have been a closed book case if the rules are followed that ALL coaches know about not making weight during a tournament. Instead 7 hours later during the parade of champions which has lost its real meaning after this weekend. These actions by state directors and coaches have brought nothing but shame to our sport and will effect this sport for a long time to come. If you would like to check the rule, please check your NFHS 2010-2011 rule book (Rule 10 / Article 7). This is something I would think our state directors would know, especially if your in charge of the officials. This is not something that just slipped under the radar, because it was brought up to the powers that be and nothing was done and will not be done. I for one feel the worst for the 5 other kids that did make weight that morning and wrestled their matches in order to determine their place in the tournament.

This should have taken care of at 10:00 on Saturday morning when the wrestler in question did not report to the mat for his consolation semi-final match. The official goes to the coach and then to the head table where he is informed the wrestler did not make weight according to a tournament worker. At this point it should have been a closed book case if the rules are followed that ALL coaches know about not making weight during a tournament. Instead 7 hours later during the parade of champions which has lost its real meaning after this weekend. These actions by state directors and coaches have brought nothing but shame to our sport and will effect this sport for a long time to come. If you would like to check the rule, please check your NFHS 2010-2011 rule book (Rule 10 / Article 7). This is something I would think our state directors would know, especially if your in charge of the officials. This is not something that just slipped under the radar, because it was brought up to the powers that be and nothing was done and will not be done. I for one feel the worst for the 5 other kids that did make weight that morning and wrestled their matches in order to determine their place in the tournament.

Are you saying the powers that be were aware that this wrestler did not make weight and they still allowed him to walk in the parade and to receive a 6th place medal? If this is true, this would be incredible. Sorry to hear.

Before this angle gets started I have nothing against this wrestler whom I don't know other than watching him wrestle throughout the year at various events. My frustration is not directed at the wrestler rather our state organization, and coaches that knew this had happend and would not come forth to question why this was happening. This wrestler is a good wrestler and he did medal in this tournament by winning his match on Friday night but as state & national rules require that he make weight on Saturday in order to be awarded that medal. I am not taking anything away from the kid who has proven himself to be a good wrestler in previous tournaments, and will agree the mistake was made and nothing can be done at this point and the wrestler should keep his medal. The real issue is for the next 2 seasons when this mistake can really screw up seeding in our state tournament. That can affect several wrestlers from all over the state and in various weight classes depending on which weight the wrestler qualifies for next season. Hopefully this will be resolved and corrected.

Edited by matcat