William Blount Defeats Oak Ridge

GovMan

In a signature win for the Lady Gov's program, WB built a lead on Oak Ridge and was able to hold on at the end to win 48-47 and move on to the second round of the region. Here's some observations:

*Incredible to me that such a storied girls program such as OR wouldn't have any more fan support. Although the game was at OR, it was almost as if the Lady Governors had the home court advantage with fans. Especially the student sections, WB's was larger and much more into the game than OR's.

*OR's post, Armeka Booker, is real good. To hold her to 21 points was actually a pretty good effort by the WB girls. Last night, Booker just didn't get a lot of help.

*One of the refs, short kind of flat-top dude, is the Ted Valentine of high school basketball. Wasn't the first time I've seen him. He's all about "being seen" and "drawing attention to himself."

*Great night for District 4 girls ... all four teams in region (Knox West, Farragut, WB, and Maryville) win first round games. Congratulations to all.

*Oak Ridges basketball facility is incredible. What a great gym. One minor problem ... the bathrooms are too far away from the gym. You have to walk a mile. For an ol man like me, that's not good! := :roflol:

Edited by GovMan

In a signature win for the Lady Gov's program, WB built a lead on Oak Ridge and was able to hold on at the end to win 48-47 and move on to the second round of the region. Here's some observations:

*Incredible to me that such a storied girls program such as OR wouldn't have any more fan support. Although the game was at OR, it was almost as if the Lady Governors had the home court advantage with fans. Especially the student sections, WB's was larger and much more into the game than OR's.

*OR's post, Armeka Booker, is real good. To hold her to 21 points was actually a pretty good effort by the WB girls. Last night, Booker just didn't get a lot of help.

*One of the refs, short kind of flat-top dude, is the Ted Valentine of high school basketball. Wasn't the first time I've seen him. He's all about "being seen" and "drawing attention to himself."

*Great night for District 4 girls ... all four teams in region (Knox West, Farragut, WB, and Maryville) win first round games. Congratulations to all.

*Oak Ridges basketball facility is incredible. What a great gym. One minor problem ... the bathrooms are too far away from the gym. You have to walk a mile. For an ol man like me, that's not good! := :roflol:

Yes ... GovMan ... I am happy for the Lady Govs. They have played great throughout the tournament.

They have stepped up their play in the end (just like last year). The Lady Govs were my "pick up" team

last year after the Lady Panthers lost. I went to all their games throughout last years tournament. They

did great last year. I hope they go far this year. Good Luck !

Yeah, ... I don't understand the fan base at some of these venues. Lenoir City Panthers (girls & boys) travel

well with a great fan base (I think). Sometimes ... this year we almost out numbered the fans on our away

games. I was amazed at some times. I noticed that William Blount (girls & boys) travel well too with a good

fan base. I think that is good for both teams. It shows the athletes that people do care about the game and

the players. I do think sometimes that the students kinda get out of hand during the games, but most of

the time it is funny and in good spirit.

About the newspaper thing ..... I agree with your observation about the stories. Yes, ... more attention should

have been given to William Blount Lady Govs for their win. I think they gave more credit to Maryville Lady Rebels

because of Hardin Valley's # 1 ranking. Because Maryville Lady Rebels was ranked # 4 and Hardin Valley was ranked

# 1 , ..... the story was # 4 beat # 1. Not taking away from Maryville Lady Rebels win . I am happy for them. That is

my observation.

Yes, .... I went to Oak Ridge last year for the Lenoir City Panthers vs Oak Ridge boys in the tournament. I was

totally blown away at the facility. It was like a small college gym. WOW ! Everyone needs to see that gym before

building a new one at their place. Yes, ... I remember that the bathrooms were a long walk away ... LOL - Funny.

Well , .... that's it for me. Good Luck to the William Blount Lady Govs this year. My "pick up" team this year is

the Maryville Lady Rebels !

GO MARYVILLE LADY REBELS ! ......... GO LADY REBELS !

..... Tommy Geer

Edited by TGNLC