Perry County how do they rank

judgesmales

Are you sure about the 97 team beating the AAA runner up?

Some of PC's best teams were in the 80's with Nat Dixon, Barry Cunningham, and Keith Beasley...they just had the unfortunate task of having to go through Knox Webb and Memphis Westside. Those teams may have played up to their potential more than any other PC team. Those teams played effortlessly and smooth...Barry Cunningham may be one of the most under appreciated players in PC history. This is a fun topic to talk about because each decade has had great teams and great players

50's (Ellison),

60's (Dave Rhodes)

70's (Mike Rhodes)

80's (Dixon,Cunningham,Plunkett,McCaig)

90's (Haston...too many others to list)

00's (Chase Richardson)

10's (current)

That is a lot of basketball history and it sure brings back some good memories...we should all appreciate the history because its impossible compare which team is better and just enjoy adding to the tradition.

Im not sure that they did but I can definitely find out.

Perry co has an incredible history on the hardwood, stretching from the 1950's to present day. 6 state titles, 1 runner up, and who knows how many state tourney births, district and region titles. But the team that has to stand out above and beyond all others is the 97' team. When you've got 3 kids on the bench 6'5+ who would start on any other team probably in the state all classifications you've got a good thing going. I believe they still hold the record for widest margin of victory in a state title game over columbia academy and it could of been a lot worse. I remember them beating the AA state champion that year by 15+ and that was with a couple of the studs sitting a large portion of the game with foul trouble. This team was probably the best to ever play in class A in tssaa history. As for this team they rank way down the list of best teams in county history, but in Perry counties case that is not necessarily a bad thing.

I remember them beating the AA state champion that year by 15+ and that was with a couple of the studs sitting a large portion of the game with foul trouble.

I thought they won on a last second shot by Carroll? Might want to check that. 97 Team was awful good however 77 wasn't too shabby either. 97 had more depth 77 had the best player. Those two teams played two totally different styles 77 was uptempo and 97 wanted to play a little more half court to get it to Haston. It'd sure be fun if we could have watched those two teams slug it out.

I thought they won on a last second shot by Carroll? Might want to check that. 97 Team was awful good however 77 wasn't too shabby either. 97 had more depth 77 had the best player. Those two teams played two totally different styles 77 was uptempo and 97 wanted to play a little more half court to get it to Haston. It'd sure be fun if we could have watched those two teams slug it out.

I think the game you are talking about was against waverly, who was pretty tough that year.

I remember the 97 team haston was good but in my opinion he wasn't even the best player on the team chris jones was he was unstoppable that kid could play

Yeah Jones was a great player but the late Cory Brown was one of the best , most versitle players and made Haston and Jones better.

I had the opportunity to play against Haston, Corey/Nicholas Brown, Chris Jones, Brad Cothan,Rhodes(Mitchell/Bryant), Hamm, Brad Cotham, Mitch ??, etc. IMO, the 97 team is the best to ever come through class A ball. This team was stacked with talent and should have won more than 1 state title. Any class A team that goes 6'9, 6'7, 6'3, 6'7,and guards at 6'1 is simply dominant. Question for the PC faithful. Was Slatten a good coach or was he surrounded with talent...alot of talent?

I had the opportunity to play against Haston, Corey/Nicholas Brown, Chris Jones, Brad Cothan,Rhodes(Mitchell/Bryant), Hamm, Brad Cotham, Mitch ??, etc. IMO, the 97 team is the best to ever come through class A ball. This team was stacked with talent and should have won more than 1 state title. Any class A team that goes 6'9, 6'7, 6'3, 6'7,and guards at 6'1 is simply dominant. Question for the PC faithful. Was Slatten a good coach or was he surrounded with talent...alot of talent?

Slatten's one of the best coaches we've ever had ,in my opinion, next to Willie Hudson of course.

He took our boys to State 4 of his 5 years and The 94 team wasnt that great with a 18-14 record. Got state Runner-up 96(lost by 1) and went 30-2 and 97 were 37-0 of course. The 98 team should've won it but Howard had a car wreck and we got upset in Region semis. His record over 5 yrs was like 138-26 at PC