Foul Play

shombody

Yes.. The refs were bad.. Yes.. They missed many calls which favored N. Greene.. I saw two missed calls that favored Loretto.. If the game was close I would say the refs were the deciding factor... However, N. Greene played Clock ball the last 1.5 periods and Loretto couldn't force a turnover. Not to mention they couldn't throw it in the ocean during the second half if it wasn't from the charity stripe. N. Greene deserved the win and Loretto deserved the loss. Congrats to Loretto on a great season. Come back next year with the memory of this game and feed off of it!

Good luck to N. Greene.. You're going to need it against Wayne Co. They should be heavily favored going into the Championship game.

This is a sincere question, but why should Wayne Co. be heavily favored. Being from the far East I don't know much about Wayne County, but when I checked their schedule they were beaten by Loretto twice. Yes, I'm sure that Loretto didn't play their best but I think NG defense had something to do with that. NG hasn't played to their potential at state, and I'm sure their nerves have gotten to them. So again, why should Wayne Co be favored?

This is a sincere question, but why should Wayne Co. be heavily favored. Being from the far East I don't know much about Wayne County, but when I checked their schedule they were beaten by Loretto twice. Yes, I'm sure that Loretto didn't play their best but I think NG defense had something to do with that. NG hasn't played to their potential at state, and I'm sure their nerves have gotten to them. So again, why should Wayne Co be favored?

Loretto didn't show up at all. N. Greene is a great defensive team; however, loretto has faced far better and hasn't turned the ball over like they did today. They played the best team in the state (all classifications) in Riverdale. And they played Lawrence Co twice. Riverdale made them look silly but they are just flat out talented. Loretto wasn't making their shots (other than free throws) and they made many mental mistakes. Yes, you can say your defense caused loretto to look so bad. However, say that to anyone who has seen both teams play and they will tell you that is false. Loretto was way off today. I'm sure you are aware that Rival Schools usually play tough games regardless of who has the better team on paper. Loretto and Wayne County have been rivals for decades. So they will almost always play each other close. This is why Loretto Split the year at 2 and 2 w/ Wayne Co.

With that said. I don't see Wayne County having an off day tomorrow. Which is exactly what N. Greene needs. And N. Greene won't be able to work the clock against Wayne County if they find themselves with a lead after the half. Like i've said all along. The only team in the State Tourney that had a shot at taking the State Title from Wayne County was Loretto. A lot of that has to do with the rivalry. And this is coming from a Loretto fan. Not a Wayne Co. fan.

Edited by mas1821

I agree. The most redicolous call they made was the technical foul on Jackson county before the game even started. That was about a 4 point difference that Jackson county never really recovered from. Our coach wasn't even allowed to stand up and coach during the game. That referee should be ashamed to make a call that could influence a game before the kids have even taken the court. The call is redicolous. The call was made because our girls came out in two lines instead of one single file line. We have done that every game for years.

I am sure there is more to the story than what you posted here.

I did not see what happenend but is it possible, due to your reference of coming out in 2 lines, that when they entered the court they split into 2 lines around the opposing team's end of the floor? Again, I did not see this but just making an assumtion based on your post.

If they actually did this, it is an automatic technical foul (no judgement).

I am sure there is more to the story than what you posted here.

I did not see what happenend but is it possible, due to your reference of coming out in 2 lines, that when they entered the court they split into 2 lines around the opposing team's end of the floor? Again, I did not see this but just making an assumtion based on your post.

If they actually did this, it is an automatic technical foul (no judgement).

No they didnt split around the floor but they did get close to the other team. The main problem was the other team came out first and they were supposed to come out second so our team didn't really know where to go. So the other team should have got a technical for coming out of the dressing room in the wrong order if they were gonna give our team a technical for coming out in 2 lines.

The main thing is a these are young girls playing at a new arena why would you make a call like that in a game of this importance. I would be ashamed if i was the referee.

Interesting..I would like to have heard the referee's explanation to the coach.

I can also understand giving a little "leeway" considering the circumstances, unless it was something obvious like running around or through the other team.

Also, did you say the coach had to sit for the entire game because of this technical?

If N.Greene is allowed to hand check , slap, foul at will and play with 8 players like today, they will win. If not; GO MIGHTY WILDCATS (lady wildcats) ONly bad thing about intentional foul was it was 3 Qtrs. too late.Loretto played too nice.

If the loose play was allowed for 4 quarters, the Loretto coach should have adjusted...I'm sure by the end of the first half, it was evident how the refs were calling it. Is the Loretto team not used to physical, high intensity basketball? NG plays all 4 AA Greene County teams and I can guarantee they are accustomed to tough physical play. If the refs are gonna call it loose, Coach Buchanan will take advantage of it. Instead of whining about the refs, might be a good idea to question how Loretto responded (or not) to the challenge.

If the loose play was allowed for 4 quarters, the Loretto coach should have adjusted...I'm sure by the end of the first half, it was evident how the refs were calling it. Is the Loretto team not used to physical, high intensity basketball? NG plays all 4 AA Greene County teams and I can guarantee they are accustomed to tough physical play. If the refs are gonna call it loose, Coach Buchanan will take advantage of it. Instead of whining about the refs, might be a good idea to question how Loretto responded (or not) to the challenge.

Yay, I'm so glad you're on here Barb, I was beginning to feel like I was the only person who knew anything about NG. I can't imagine there is another team there who has more heart than these girls or a coach with more class than James Buchanan. These girls hang in there with three very good AA Greene County teams. South Greene should have made it to state, and if you want my opinion I think the refs were a factor in their substate game. This was a two point game in overtime though and not 54 to 39 or whatever it was. I have been very disappointed at how NG has been overlooked. They were there last year, you would think that someone would realize they are very talented. I would just like to see credit where credit is due. I agree with Barb that the Coach should have adjusted to the way the game was going. I hope that NG can pull it out tomorrow. I know they have the ability whether anyone else does or not.

Interesting..I would like to have heard the referee's explanation to the coach.

I can also understand giving a little "leeway" considering the circumstances, unless it was something obvious like running around or through the other team.

Also, did you say the coach had to sit for the entire game because of this technical?

Yes the whole bench wasn't allwed to stand during the game. Our coach has been coaching for 17 years and we have been to the tournament 10 times and he says he has never seen that called.

I think I may have a solution to the less-than-stellar officiating that always seems to plague the state tournament. I propose that Tennessee, Georgia and Alabama (or any other combination of states)swap officials for the tournaments in such a manner that no two states' referees officiate each other's games. For example: Tennessee's refs officiate Alabama's games, Alabama's refs officiate Georgia's games and Georgia's refs officiate Tennessee's games.

Something has to be done about the officiating. I've seen it year after year and in games where I was completely impartial. I was at the 'boro a couple of years ago watching a single-A game (my team is double-A) So, I had no dog in the race. I was disgusted at how one team (from upper east TN) got completely ripped-off. There are so many examples. I'm sure you all have many more to add.

I think I may have a solution to the less-than-stellar officiating that always seems to plague the state tournament. I propose that Tennessee, Georgia and Alabama (or any other combination of states)swap officials for the tournaments in such a manner that no two states' referees officiate each other's games. For example: Tennessee's refs officiate Alabama's games, Alabama's refs officiate Georgia's games and Georgia's refs officiate Tennessee's games.

Something has to be done about the officiating. I've seen it year after year and in games where I was completely impartial. I was at the 'boro a couple of years ago watching a single-A game (my team is double-A) So, I had no dog in the race. I was disgusted at how one team (from upper east TN) got completely ripped-off. There are so many examples. I'm sure you all have many more to add.

If you read the HS boards in GA and AL, you'll realize quickly that fans think they are getting hosed everywhere. Perhaps we expect too much from these part-time employees. Shoot the pay ain't great, the training is spotty and the standards aren't enforced uniformly. Maybe time for TSSAA to reevaluate the whole officiating program across the board.

• Upvote 1

If you read the HS boards in GA and AL, you'll realize quickly that fans think they are getting hosed everywhere. Perhaps we expect too much from these part-time employees. Shoot the pay ain't great, the training is spotty and the standards aren't enforced uniformly. Maybe time for TSSAA to reevaluate the whole officiating program across the board.

or let the ref's do there jobs have they been the best no but you have to sorta expect it and not blame them for your teams not playing well