Steve Logsdon resigns

csemary

Steve Logsdon Resigns As Bradley Wrestling Coach

Bears Won 20 State Championships Under His Leadership

by John Hunt

posted March 11, 2011

There's been speculation for several months, but Steve Logsdon finally made it official Friday afternoon.

He's resigned as the Bradley Bear wrestling coach.

Logsdon, already inducted into the Greater Chattanooga Sports Hall of Fame, had exceptional success as the Bradley coach.

The Bears had a dual-meet record of 382 wins and just 26 defeats in his tenure with 20 state championships.

His team was the state duals champ this year and finished second behind Cleveland in the traditional tournament.

The Bears won both the duals and traditional titles eight times under Logsdon, including 2010, 2009, 2008, 2004, 2003, 2000, 1999 and 1998.

He also had a duals title in 2006 while the Bears also won traditional titles in 2005, 2002 and 2001.

Turner Jackson was the Bradley wrestling coach before Logsdon took the job.

Jackson is now the Bradley athletic director. He was in Murfreesboro on Friday at the Girls State Basketball Tournament when he heard the news.

"I knew he was planning to resign. I just didn't know he was going to do it today," Jackson said during halftime of the McMinn Central-Cannon County semifinal.

"It will be really hard to replace him, but we all wish him the best in whatever he decides to do.

"I was doing it all wrong when I was coaching, but he came along and did everything right. He knew what it took to be the best.

"He was a dedicated wrestler and later a dedicated coach. What more can you say about the guy? Check the books. His record speaks for itself," Jackson added.

Logsdon, 44, was Bradley's first state champ in 1984. He knew what it took as a competitor and he passed along what it took as a coach.

"It's strange and wierd all at the same time. It's emotional, knowing I just ended my high school coaching career.

"I was just out of college when I got the job, but the sport of wrestling has really played a vital role in my life.

"It gave me an identity when I was in high school and it got me to college. It helped me have the insight that I wanted to be an educator and coach.

"I'll get to spend more time with my wife Rhonda and more time on my mountain bike. Just to be able to come home in the afternoon and have time to myself will really be nice," Logsdon added.

"I'm sure I'll miss it, but the bond I've created with my kids through the years has been really special.

"I can be a fan now, so there's not nearly as much pressure," Logsdon added.

Cleveland coach Eric Phillips was a teammate of Logsdon at UTC. Phillips was the 158 pounder while Logsdon wrestled at 167. They were often training partners.

"I'm sad for the sport of wrestling, but I'm happy for him if that's what he wants to do," Phillips said late Friday afternoon.

"You can't find a better high school coach. It's a grind and it wears us out and keeps us up late at night, but he was totally dedicated to it for a long time.

"We used to wrestle his teams when I was the coach at Northwest Whitfield and we've had a great rivalry since then.

"Of course, the stakes got a little higher when I got the job at Cleveland.

"The good news is that we competed against each other for all we were worth, but still remained good friends off the mat," Phillips added.

Soddy Daisy coach Steve Henry is another one who has battled Logsdon's Bradley teams for a long time. He too has an utmost respect for the guy.

"It makes me sad for sure. My teams have competed against his teams for a long time, but I guess it's time we close the book on his career.

"He's definitely made an impact on the sport of wrestling in Tennessee and the Southeast. He's a good guy and he's always been one to stand by his principles.

"Steve was as good a motivator as anyone in the business. There have been times when I wish I could motivate my kids like he did. He's done a great job at Bradley.

"Turner (Jackson) built the foundation, but Steve took it and ran with it. He'll surely be remembered as one of the great coaches in the sport," Henry added.

Alan Morris is now the wrestling coach at Walker Valley. Both of his sons wrestled for Logsdon at Bradley and Morris was highly involved as the coach of the Kids Club and also president of the Bradley Booster Club.

"I knew he was going to resign. I just didn't know when it would be official," Morris said.

"I've known him since Turner was the coach. He did a lot for my kids and he's one of the best high school coaches I know.

"He was one of those coaches who expected a lot from his kids and they gave a lot in return. He also put in a lot of hard work, but the results speak for themselves.

"I hope that he'll still come around, but if he wants to move on and do other things, I'm happy for him.

"Steve's given a lot to the sport. I'm sure that the folks at Bradley will miss him," Morris added.

Nobody's name has officially been given as a possible successor to Logsdon, but many folks in local wrestling circles expect long-time Bradley assistant Ben Smith to get a shot.

There have been 35 wrestlers at Bradley who won at least one individual state championship.

Matt Keller won four and later earned NCAA All-America honors while competing for UTC.

(Email John Hunt at tnmoose2002@aol.com)

I know that most people wish Steve the best in whatever he decides to do with the rest of his life. Did we not just go through this a few years ago only to have Steve return to coaching? Will he take a couple of years off and return to the Bradley wrestling room again?

I know that most people wish Steve the best in whatever he decides to do with the rest of his life. Did we not just go through this a few years ago only to have Steve return to coaching? Will he take a couple of years off and return to the Bradley wrestling room again?

I don't think he willcome back this time 2 reasons, 1- last time he was replaced by someone out of the Bradley loop so to speak, this time it's likely to be Ben Smith who is a "Bradley Guy" as they say and 2- the middle school teams are not as strong and with the feeder system being dilluted by another system it will weaken their pool just not as much to work with not sayingthey wil be bad jsut saying they might not get as many kids as before.

I don't think he willcome back this time 2 reasons, 1- last time he was replaced by someone out of the Bradley loop so to speak, this time it's likely to be Ben Smith who is a "Bradley Guy" as they say and 2- the middle school teams are not as strong and with the feeder system being dilluted by another system it will weaken their pool just not as much to work with not sayingthey wil be bad jsut saying they might not get as many kids as before.

Are you saying that Steve is getting out of coaching because Bradley does not have enough talent at the feeder schools to win a state title?

Are you saying that Steve is getting out of coaching because Bradley does not have enough talent at the feeder schools to win a state title?

It may have seemed so but no what I mean is that all things considered he felt like it was the right time for him, if Smith takes the job he should be a good fit, I would never count the bradley boys out of anything on the mat, but it does take alot of time to develope a program and be the man in charge maybe he felt he is leaving the program in good hands and good shape, I don't know but it his choice, his decision and his life, besides what does he have left to prove, by Bradley being so good so long it helps other public schools have to raise thier expectations to compete and this year should prove it.