• FRA
    • Ezell
    • Webb
    • MJCA
    • DCA
    • Riverside
    • Kings Academy
    • Zion

Dca lost by 1 point at Davdison on a DA touchdown and 2 pt conversion with 25 seconds left in the game? Dca controlled the entire game and should have went up 17-7 with 3 minutes left but instead they turned it over and Williams had about 75 yards that last drive. Since when is a "down year" making it to the state semi-finals?!? Unless your Alcoa that is a really good year. As for Webb, they are HUMAN. Davidson beat them 2 years ago without Williams. Dca played them close that year losing 14-3. And FRA had a chance to beat them at Webb this year. I do think it will be very hard for a team to beat webb but it IS possible. Webb is for sure the favorite going into next year looking for the 3-peat.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dca lost by 1 point at Davdison on a DA touchdown and 2 pt conversion with 25 seconds left in the game? Dca controlled the entire game and should have went up 17-7 with 3 minutes left but instead they turned it over and Williams had about 75 yards that last drive. Since when is a "down year" making it to the state semi-finals?!? Unless your Alcoa that is a really good year. As for Webb, they are HUMAN. Davidson beat them 2 years ago without Williams. Dca played them close that year losing 14-3. And FRA had a chance to beat them at Webb this year. I do think it will be very hard for a team to beat webb but it IS possible. Webb is for sure the favorite going into next year looking for the 3-peat.

To me they just seemed a far shot from the team of last year. Did't really seem to dominate anypart of the game, but give em props for somehow scoring when they needed to. An they only beat southern baptist to get to to the semi finals because they seeded so well for beating Riverside,MJCA,Ezell, and SAS haha. The schedule itself was pretty weak overall other than DCA and Webb.

Also i think Webb will be even better this year because their new ,but already good, Oline will have more experience, plus the brothers will be better as well. I see them dominating and even keeping the Maryville game close :popcorneater:

To me they just seemed a far shot from the team of last year. Did't really seem to dominate anypart of the game, but give em props for somehow scoring when they needed to. An they only beat southern baptist to get to to the semi finals because they seeded so well for beating Riverside,MJCA,Ezell, and SAS haha. The schedule itself was pretty weak overall other than DCA and Webb.

Also i think Webb will be even better this year because their new ,but already good, Oline will have more experience, plus the brothers will be better as well. I see them dominating and even keeping the Maryville game close :popcorneater:

I think webb will be good and will probably win state again but i dont think they will be better then last year.

Here is a question, if webb wins state the next 2 years which would give them 4 straight in D2A, would they move up in the next classification period? There is a small chance TSSAA changes the numbers and forces them up but if not, i wonder if Webb would choose to play against the schools that are more similar to them in size and $$ in D2AA

I think webb will be good and will probably win state again but i dont think they will be better then last year.

Here is a question, if webb wins state the next 2 years which would give them 4 straight in D2A, would they move up in the next classification period? There is a small chance TSSAA changes the numbers and forces them up but if not, i wonder if Webb would choose to play against the schools that are more similar to them in size and $$ in D2AA

Knox Webb was 0-5 in Region games in 2008, their last year in D2-AA. Since moving down to D2-A in 2009, Webb has lost only 1 game, with back-to-back state championships. Hopefully, they will get tired of beating up on schools that barely have 100 boys in grades 9-11 (St. George's, the Memphis school that Webb beat in the finals last year, has far less than half the enrollment of Webb). Size of school isn't everything in High School football, but there is some critical mass which must exist to field a truly competitive team. Several of the schools in D2-A have 25 or less senior boys in the entire class in any given year, which makes it hard to compete against schools like Webb, with about 250 boys in grades 9-11. Webb is certainly entitled to stay where they are, but in my opinion, TSSAA should lower the enrollment numbers for D2-A and put Webb back playing against schools of comparable size. For the record, Webb has a larger enrollment than both Ensworth and Brentwood Academy.

Edited by RedRobin

Knox Webb was 0-5 in Region games in 2008, their last year in D2-AA. Since moving down to D2-A in 2009, Webb has lost only 1 game, with back-to-back state championships. Hopefully, they will get tired of beating up on schools that barely have 100 boys in grades 9-11 (St. George's, the Memphis school that Webb beat in the finals last year, has far less than half the enrollment of Webb). Size of school isn't everything in High School football, but there is some critical mass which must exist to field a truly competitive team. Several of the schools in D2-A have 25 or less senior boys in the entire class in any given year, which makes it hard to compete against schools like Webb, with about 250 boys in grades 9-11. Webb is certainly entitled to stay where they are, but in my opinion, TSSAA should lower the enrollment numbers for D2-A and put Webb back playing against schools of comparable size. For the record, Webb has a larger enrollment than both Ensworth and Brentwood Academy.

They also have about 100 more kids than BGA who plays in D2AA.

Ill go ahead and tell you what the Webb people who post on here will say.. They argue that its fair because of the 460+ kids they have, most are there for academics and not athletics. Which is a stupid thing to say because even if its true, the same goes for every school in D2A. I dont think athletes are beating down the doors to go play for Riverside, Zion and MJCA. Those schools have roughly 40-60 boys in the ENTIRE high school, grades 9-12. I can promise you their kids are not there for athletics.

Does Webb play any D2aa teams this year? they haven't really played any with the Blance brothers, I'd like to see them against Ensworth or Brentwood Academy. Any one have their schedule?

They also have about 100 more kids than BGA who plays in D2AA.

Ill go ahead and tell you what the Webb people who post on here will say.. They argue that its fair because of the 460+ kids they have, most are there for academics and not athletics. Which is a stupid thing to say because even if its true, the same goes for every school in D2A. I dont think athletes are beating down the doors to go play for Riverside, Zion and MJCA. Those schools have roughly 40-60 boys in the ENTIRE high school, grades 9-12. I can promise you their kids are not there for athletics.

The statement that most students attend primarily for academic reasons rather than for athletic reasons is also true for the schools in D2-AA as well - clearly, the academic programs are the raison d'etre for each of these schools. I am sure that Webb has a fine academic program, as well as a wonderful fine arts program, etc. Having said that, I am also sure that these programs are no better than (and in fact may have a hard time keeping up with) those at Ensworth, MBA, Harpeth Hall, Baylor, McCallie, MUS, etc. Thus, this "argument" is a non-starter. Clearly, Webb is entitled to be where they choose to be athletically - I have no doubt that the administration has determined what is best for the Webb student body for a myriad of reasons (none of which are any of my business), but to suggest that they have made this decision due to the quality of their academics relative to other schools is utter nonsense and is quite disrespectful to the other schools in D2-AA.

Edited by RedRobin

webb should move back up but I doubt they will. If they have to play high schools with enrollments less than half there size to win so be it. Everyone wants to beat Knox Webb and this will be the year they do.

I completely agree that they need to move up, but they did play about every 5a school in knoxville including catholic. so give em props for that.

I completely agree that they need to move up, but they did play about every 5a school in knoxville including catholic. so give em props for that.

yea but it doesnt mean anything. they can play maryville, alcoa, central and catholic, lose them all and still win state.

I think with the team they had the last two years, they would have done very well in D2AA.

Webb could have played with ANYONE in DII-AA last year. As for playing 5a teams in knoxville, so what? they may lose a few games but come playoff time they will still be there and hard for any team to beat. I hate knox webb because they beat up on schools half there size, and they are the most cocky team in Tennessee. I wish they'd man up and move up but i can't really blame Webb the TSSAA should make the cut-off closer to the rest of the schools they play.

Everyone in DII-A loves gettitng shot at them though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Webb could have played with ANYONE in DII-AA last year.

We wil obviously never know, but I have no idea why you would say something like that. Due to Knox Webb's schedule, there are very few similar opponents, but in my mind, it is telling that Ensworth beat Smyrna, the Division 1 6A runner-up, by more points (16) than Webb beat FRA and ECS by in both games combined (an aggregate of 12 points). D2-AA runner-up Baylor beat FRA by 3 touchdowns (and could have beaten them by more had they so chosen), while Webb struggled to beat FRA at all.

Webb did have a fine team last year, and should be seen as a prohibitive favorite in D2-A again this year, but I think you are fooling yourself if you think they could have held their own with the top teams in D2-AA.

Edited by RedRobin