Jason Witten in High School?

WesVLT

I have a question for all you Elizabethton fans out there. What was Jason Witten like in high school? He is so strong and tough to bring down at the college level...how devastating was he in high school? I have no particular reason for inquiring other than sheer interest and intrigue at his level of play. He is a fabulous player, and I bet he did A LOT of damage for the Cyclones.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest caligula

I am not a Lizzy fan, but i witnessed Witten in high school, and it was one of the scariest things I had ever seen. By then he was 6'5" 250 and was running like a 4.6/4.7 or something and I saw him put his kneecap into the helmets of a couple of safties. That is why Maryville barely won that game. He was dominant, one of TN top players. Listen to GCM when I tell you he was unreal!!! When he caught the ball, you were screwed.

Shawn Witten was the guy who put the fear of god in me. Shawn is Jason's older brother. He is a starting receiver at Virginia Tech.

Shawn quarterbacked Elizabethon in 97 and 98. He was scary when a play broke down. He was another Fran Tarkenton. Shawn would scramble out of trouble and hit an open receiver.

Jason played Middle linebacker and tight end. He was a stud also.

I watched my Rebels play against the Witten brothers twice. In 97 MHS won 42-21 at Elizabethon and the score was misleading. Maryville had a hard time in that game. Jason was a sophomore in high school at the time and he burned Maryville on a 50 yd touchdown. I knew then he would be a major division 1 recruit. Shawn drove us crazy with his scrambling.

In 98 MHS won 20-16 on a last second touchdown. MHS was very fortunate to win that game. Elizabethon was a great team that year.MHS won the state championship that night.MHS couldn't run the ball that night because Jason Witten was killing us from his linebacker spot.

• 1 year later...

Let someone that knows the Witten Boys' very well tell you about them!

forget their football skills,Jason,Shawn, and Ryan are 3 of the finest young men in America! Ryan is an excellent football coach and will be a great Head Coach someday! Shawn has finished a very productive career at Va Tech and is now back there working to obatin his degree and possibly be a grauate asst. coach.

Jason is a future Superstar with the Dallas Cowboys! He will do great things in the NFL because I believe great things come to great people!

Coach Thomas one night at Sullivan Central had his whole game plan to stop Witten. He was stilll preaching it as witnessed him carry 3 defenders from the 10 yard line into the end zone. Think he had 2 touchdowns that night & no telling how many tackles. What was really neat was to watch him whip someone's butt, reach down to help them up after the play, & then go do it again. I thought we'd gone back in time.

I'd never seen or heard of the kid until that night, but I never forgot after that. Don't know if I'll ever see a high school player I thought any more of

at knox central we are proud of the fact that we beat jason and elizabethton in 1999 to go to the state championship. honestly elizabethton was better than the team that beat us in the championship(memphis east) i have thought that since we choked maybe elizabethton should of won because they might not have blew it like we did in nashville. that team was very good, they had a tailback #47 that was tough. it is hard to beat a team coached by a genius in the playoffs.

I remember DB vs Elizabethton in 99. It went toElizabethton and it was the biggest crowd I had ever seen at their stadium. This was supposed to be the first time in a long time that Elizabethton would beat DB. They were a heavy favorite as Elizabethton was loaded and DB was in a younger rebuilding stage. Jason looked huge. I had never seen anything like that on a high school field. Jason played well, but DB had too much speed to burn that year. A classic speed vs size matchup that I was a huge upset for DB. I remeber thinking that Jason could have almost played against a team by himself. Never seen anything like him before