Maryville @ Bearden

mack6

I don’t think anyone is denying that Bearden is a great soccer team, mack. In fact, I am almost certain that Olif is a Bearden supporter, and he was simply commenting on the contrasting styles of the two teams.

When juxtaposing the two teams you will find, like Ned said, two talented sides with two different approaches to the game: Bearden focuses on keeping their defensive shape and catching opponents in transition, while Maryville tries to keep the ball and make their opponents chase. Both teams’ philosophies have looked flawless at times, yet both have looked vulnerable as well—Maryville was exposed at Bearden, and Bearden looked susceptible against Catholic.

With that said, I don’t think anyone in this area continues to denounce Coach Turner’s philosophy as unattractive or “boom ball.†In fact, I think Bearden’s method is one of the most effective and enjoyable brands of soccer to watch. They form an impervious blockade of defenders in the middle of the pitch, disallowing any form of solid penetration. All shots against Bearden are going to be low percentage shots, and if a team is tricky enough to slip behind their back line or give a good service in the box, the ball is going to undoubtedly be contested or rather won by Bearden. What is even more impressive is how quickly they counter, forcing their opponents to chase, panic, and lose their shape.

After Jose Mourinho’s Inter team sent Barca packing in last year’s Champion’s League semifinal, he was asked to comment about how lopsided the possession battle was. Mourinho ostentatiously claimed that it was all part of a plan and that his Inter side didn’t want the ball because they never wanted to lose their shape. I think Mourinho is a downright liar; I think Inter was outmatched and pulled the win out of their back side. Bearden, on the other hand, knows exactly what they are doing, and they play an attractive and remarkably effective brand of soccer.

Very well said, dins8.