West Knox program best in the state

FutbolCzar

Simple question...

Who is the better coach? Which school has the better program? I believe championship rings are tied 3-3 in last 10-15 yrs? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I have watched soccer in the area for many years and enjoy the brand of soccer here - much different than my hometown in TX. After attending the game last night and while reading Coach Turner's comments in the KNS this morning, I got to thinking... which one among these two are the elite? Turner was quoted to say, success "ebbs and flows" between the two programs. While they are clearly the elite in the area, one has to be better.

Cast your vote on coach and program, then state why. Friendly discussion! Does anyone know if Turner or Culbreth visit CoachT... I am new to the site, recently heared about it from my nephew (he plays at a local school) and I love the idea of high school message boards - good, healthy fun for young people - and some older :). I'm sure someone will tell Turner and Culbreth about this "online debate" and please know I only intend this for entertainment purposes, just as the TV guys analyze collegiate and professional programs. Both of these guys are top of their class, surely they can handle a little scrutiny! I hope both men are coaching when my son and daughter get to high school... 3 & 5 short years away! Although it appears Hardin Valley might be on the rise.

Thanks to all for your comments.

-Futbol Czar

Farragut has 4 championships since '03 ('03, '04, '07, '09)

Bearden has 3 since '01.. ('01, '02, '06)

Both, are usually ranked nationally according to different spring rankings. The fact that both are in the same district, so close to eachother, and happen to be bitter rivals, just adds to it.

Both have a "national championship"... I think they are according to espnrise? I think Bearden's was '02? and Farragut's was '04?

If you want to include private schools into the discussion, CAK is certainly the best in the area out of them (private schools).

For what it's worth, I'm not sure on the date so someone can chime in on that, but before maybe '05? only 1 team advanced from the region tournament? Meaning, if Farragut and Bearden played in the region tournament championship, only 1 would advance. Since they changed it to both teams in the championship advance, Farragut and Bearden have played in the state championship game. Farragut won 5-4, in one of the most exciting, intense, nerve racking games I have ever seen. It was nice this season the teams played multiple times, as they usually do every year. I can't exactly remember the scores, but I believe this is how it went down. Bearden won the regular season game, Farragut won the district tournament game, Bearden won the Region tournament game, and Farragut won the state championship game 5-4. So, they tied the series that year 2-2. So, just comparing championships doesn't really make another better than the other, because they do play multiple times, it usually just comes down to who wins when it counts. Granted that is what makes a team good.

Personally, I think Farragut is better, but that's because I went there.

From a totally non biased approach, I just don't see either one being better than the other honestly. From what I have noticed, people seem to praise the talent for Farragut's success, where people seem praise the coach for Bearden's success.

Edited by ihavenofriendzz
  • Upvote 1

CAK :rolleyes:

:ph34r:

Be nice.

To me, it isn't that they have won. It is that they both have done it with more than just one great class. 2003-2009 and 2001-2006 is a big span.

Both have a way of getting the most out of their players at the best times. VERY different approaches.

And coach Turner is right. Soccer does ebb and flow. Especially with new schools being added in, and club soccer talent on the rise here in Knoxville. With the addition of a new semi pro team, I hope that the interest in soccer will get even bigger, and we'll see the Knoxville area blossom.

ihavenofriedzz I believe it was 02 was the last year they did 1 team advancing from regions. Only reason I remember that is we got upset my senior year in the region finals, and the next year I remember being mad cause they changed it to the top 2 teams from the region go to sub state.

I would not even try to say which program is better, but I do think these programs have done a great deal of good for Knoxville area soccer. Both programs have raised the bar for other high schools. More money is being spent on local soccer, there is more community interest and better coaches are being hired. All this does nothing but make Knoxville area soccer better. While soccer is still an after thought at many high schools, it is not as much in the back ground as it was. More schools provide transportation to and from games, they give money to improve fields and help with equipment and supplies. The local media is more aware of what is happening with soccer as well. There is nothing better then to have a game and see reporters and photographers there and then see the pictures and stories in the paper the next day. The success of the West Knox programs have helped us all. While Bearden and Farragut have set the standard in many cases, CAK has also done its share to advance local soccer. I don't know how you would fairly determine who is better, but I do know that the success they have had has helped all of us.

AlcoaDad

:motorbike:

ihavenofriedzz I believe it was 02 was the last year they did 1 team advancing from regions. Only reason I remember that is we got upset my senior year in the region finals, and the next year I remember being mad cause they changed it to the top 2 teams from the region go to sub state.

Thanks, I knew it was definitely in the '00s..

I would have thought this would be a more talked about topic? Maybe people are just tired of hearing about FHS/BHS.