Quality of Referees this year

OldSoccerFan

I have watched a lot of games this spring and the quality of referees in East TN seems to have taken a sharp nose dive. There seems to be a lot of younger refs who do a very marginal job. Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?

You are spot on! What do we expect. Pay a couple bucks pass a test and you are a ref. The good refs are getting out because of being paired with incompetent peers. This ultimately is hurting the players. There stil is no consistency in officiating in East Tn.

You are spot on! What do we expect. Pay a couple bucks pass a test and you are a ref. The good refs are getting out because of being paired with incompetent peers. This ultimately is hurting the players. There stil is no consistency in officiating in East Tn.

I readily concur with these previous assessments. We had a shot on goal directly deflected by the keeper straight over the nets and the keeper was awarded a goal kick - even with the linesman pointing directly to the corner! It has become increasingly more difficult to remain silent while on the sidelines watching very poor officiating. With that said, I do want to thank everyone who is trying to officiate this year in East Tennessee because you are doing something I do not want to do. So thank you. You have my appreciation and respect - even with the poor calling that has marked most of this season. I would like to give a shout out to one "young" official who I think works very hard and is improving every game - Bryan McCarter. Thanks BMAC for all you do! To all the other officials who have endured my displeasure from the sidelines please accept my humblest and most sincere apologies! Perhaps there are some other freshly graduated college students who can be successfully recruited to help sure up the ranks of the High School officials in East Tennessee.

Signed, Trying to be patient! - Luvdagame!

What constructive feedback can everyone provide me? I am not interested in hearing from those who just want to bash some specific ref or refs in general. I am not interested in situations of "missed calls" because that happens with every ref. What I am looking for are instances where there was a blatant misapplication or no application of the rules of the game, unethical or potential unethical conduct on the part of a ref or team of refs, etc. Also, I would like to hear constructive suggestions for improving the officiating with an eye on improving the game.

I readily concur with these previous assessments. We had a shot on goal directly deflected by the keeper straight over the nets and the keeper was awarded a goal kick - even with the linesman pointing directly to the corner! It has become increasingly more difficult to remain silent while on the sidelines watching very poor officiating. With that said, I do want to thank everyone who is trying to officiate this year in East Tennessee because you are doing something I do not want to do. So thank you. You have my appreciation and respect - even with the poor calling that has marked most of this season. I would like to give a shout out to one "young" official who I think works very hard and is improving every game - Bryan McCarter. Thanks BMAC for all you do! To all the other officials who have endured my displeasure from the sidelines please accept my humblest and most sincere apologies! Perhaps there are some other freshly graduated college students who can be successfully recruited to help sure up the ranks of the High School officials in East Tennessee.

Signed, Trying to be patient! - Luvdagame!

Seriously, you're complaining about a referee botching whether it was a corner kick or goal kick. That happens often in soccer, even if he was obviously wrong, there are bigger referee mistakes you should complain about. If this is it, then the referees are doing a fine job.

What constructive feedback can everyone provide me? I am not interested in hearing from those who just want to bash some specific ref or refs in general. I am not interested in situations of "missed calls" because that happens with every ref. What I am looking for are instances where there was a blatant misapplication or no application of the rules of the game, unethical or potential unethical conduct on the part of a ref or team of refs, etc. Also, I would like to hear constructive suggestions for improving the officiating with an eye on improving the game.

As a coach we certainly don't see things from the same angle, so there will always be disagreements in regards to calls. My main complaint is consistency. Many of the coaches we have played against, we all have the same issue. Call it the same the whole game. Once the players know what is a foul, a handball, etc. they will just play. Don't let it start loose and physical then try to pull them back in with cards. Talk to the players (not in a condescending maner) in the course of play and I think that helps keep the game moving smoothly.

My last issue are the equalizers. The ref that decides that foul in the box is a PK since the score is 3-0 and it will even things up. If you wouldn't call that PK in a 0-0 game in the last 5 minutes, it's not a PK ever. Call the game consistently, that will make most matches go smoothly.

As coaches we certainly don't expect perfection. Be consistent. Be fit (PLEASE keep up with play and if you can't don't make a call from 45 yards away). In return we as coaches do need to give you all a break. Advantage, your angle or ability to even see a foul when your view is blocked are all part of the game. Honestly how many games as coaches can we really blame on the official? It is a fast paced game and to expect you all to be perfect for $60 is kind of unrealistic. However, you do have to realize that $260 for a full varsity and a JV crew is most likely $100 more than I will make at the gate, so we certainly want your best effort for 80 minutes.

I've had great refs and awful refs. I've coached well ... and I've done awful too. We all just need to realize that we should spend more of the game focussing on the quality of the play versus the refs.

Just my .01. Pretty sure it isn't worth much more than that.

Edited by wiser
  • Upvote 1

Those who complain that this happens in high school, only need to go look at the Champions League... the whole article on Sports Illustrated soccer site was Cristiano Ronaldo complaining about the refs.

Human error, or bias, exists as long as there are humans involved. This is why Fifa is looking at goal line technology.

On the general question of quality of refs my only observation would be that yes we seem to be seeing younger referees. I can't say if they are making better or worse calls. I don't envy them. It seems to me that both players and coaches talk back to referees a lot more today then they did even eight years ago.

I do respect and appreciate the ref's efforts even when I'm bemoaning the fact they just missed a call that was obvious to me cause I'm watching one thing and he was watching another.

One question:

Is there a site to review what red or yellow cards were given in a particular game?

I wasn't able to attend the Bradley vs Ooltewah game on 5/4 at Bradley. Second hand I've heard that the Bradley coach was asked to leave the area of play and play did not resume until he had driven away. Does that mean he was given a red card?

On the general question of quality of refs my only observation would be that yes we seem to be seeing younger referees. I can't say if they are making better or worse calls. I don't envy them. It seems to me that both players and coaches talk back to referees a lot more today then they did even eight years ago.

I do respect and appreciate the ref's efforts even when I'm bemoaning the fact they just missed a call that was obvious to me cause I'm watching one thing and he was watching another.

One question:

Is there a site to review what red or yellow cards were given in a particular game?

I wasn't able to attend the Bradley vs Ooltewah game on 5/4 at Bradley. Second hand I've heard that the Bradley coach was asked to leave the area of play and play did not resume until he had driven away. Does that mean he was given a red card?

I know in Alabama there is not a website where anyone can go and see what cards were given. The referees do report them in their game reports, especially red cards.

If the game did not resume until he was driven away, I would presume he got red carded.