Evaluation

danielson2222

Scouts don't even look at averages, they look for "tools". They can tell if a player has what it takes without numbers.

I think it's a combination, they will look at a kid's numbers, especially those that stand out, that being said, they definitely look at tools as well, the difference here would be that sometimes they find a kid that is just a pure athlete and they feel they can mold him into a good college or even pro player. If a kid has good numbers say a high BA or OBP they're gonna look at that, in the course of a season the kid will have faced a variety of talent and a high average shows that over the long haul he is consistently good. This is probably more important for pitchers than hitters.

Another thing that no one's mentioned on here and most may be aware of, colleges have a limited number of scholarships to offer in baseball and generally will split the scholarships. So as an example lets say they have 10 scholarships to offer, they may give half scholarships to 8 or 10 players depending on need and ability and they may only offer a full scholarship to a top pitcher or fielder/hitter. So basically just because a college is fielding say 25 players, there may be 5 of those that are on a full scholarship and the rest are spliting 50% or even 25%.

There has been a bunch of good information that has been posted here that I think can benefit all of us.

I may have made a mistake with the starting post by stating "considering college baseball". May have been better stated by saying which college program.

I tend to agree that some of these showcases are cashing a check. But I don't agree on the stats and accolades. What if a player is injured, or a pitcher has an accident to his foot that does not hurt his arm and misses the season. What if your son plays third base and the team he is on has the best third baseman in the state. Will your son have the playing time and accolades to get noticed? I think not. But it doesn't mean he would not fit in to a program somewhere. I think there are many "what if's" that are to numerous to mention. With all the choices that include, Div 1, Div2, Div 3 , NAIA, Junior College, (did I miss any) wouldn't it be prudent to get evaluated to narrow the choices down to one division?

There has been a bunch of good information that has been posted here that I think can benefit all of us.

I may have made a mistake with the starting post by stating "considering college baseball". May have been better stated by saying which college program.

I tend to agree that some of these showcases are cashing a check. But I don't agree on the stats and accolades. What if a player is injured, or a pitcher has an accident to his foot that does not hurt his arm and misses the season. What if your son plays third base and the team he is on has the best third baseman in the state. Will your son have the playing time and accolades to get noticed? I think not. But it doesn't mean he would not fit in to a program somewhere. I think there are many "what if's" that are to numerous to mention. With all the choices that include, Div 1, Div2, Div 3 , NAIA, Junior College, (did I miss any) wouldn't it be prudent to get evaluated to narrow the choices down to one division?

We took several guys to the showcase at Lee in the fall. There were about 30 colleges there and 120 or more kids. Two of our guys were signed within a month by colleges that attended. There is so much good baseball in Tennessee. If you want to play in college you can do it. Just find the right spot.

I think its smart to figure out the best fit for your son.He has to like the school first. Everyone dreams of playing division one but the reality is very few play at that level. Only 5.8% of all high school student athletes go on to play in college. It's also important to understand the academic requirements of D1, D2, D3. D2 and D3 have higher academic standards. Don't listen to the negitivity about different levels of play. Every parent who has a college student athlete is proud of their kid no matter the level. I would not put a lot of stock in the opinions of parents who have not gone through the process or think they know but have never had a kid sign. Your coach has influence like it or not. You need to start with him and have a good relationship. Remember it's not his job to get your kid into college. He can make some calls or answer other coaches questions but he does not owe it to your kid. It really falls on your shoulders to put your kid out there, do the research, communicate with colleges(assistant coaches or recruiting coaches), Choose your showcases wisely and never turn away an opportunity at any level. Always act like your interested in whatever type of school is talking to you.

Getting unbias opinion of your sons ability can be difficult on a couple of fronts.

1. Next level coaches are careful to not build false expectations.

2. It's not always easy here the truth about your kids ability.

3. unless they see him play over a period of time its only based on that moment in time.

Look for showcases that give you a written evaluation.

That's why I recomended Perfect Game. Good or bad they rate your kid.

Look at Birmingham Southern College. Coach Wiesberg gives you a five tool evaluation of all the kids at his showcase. You can compare your kid to everyone at that event.

Demarini Top 96 will be brutally honest with your kid in the one on ones after the showcase. Saw a lot of sad and shocked faces at that event.

Make no mistake it's going to cost some money. I spent the same money as a couple of friends. One of theirs is finishing his career at vandy, one is at Duke and the other is at Southeast Mo.. Some of the common denominators are listed above. You can complain about it or you can invest in your kid!

In my situation it was worth every dime to watch my kid sign and I look forward to watching him continue to play!

Good luck to you and your son!

I think its smart to figure out the best fit for your son.He has to like the school first. Everyone dreams of playing division one but the reality is very few play at that level. Only 5.8% of all high school student athletes go on to play in college. It's also important to understand the academic requirements of D1, D2, D3. D2 and D3 have higher academic standards. Don't listen to the negitivity about different levels of play. Every parent who has a college student athlete is proud of their kid no matter the level. I would not put a lot of stock in the opinions of parents who have not gone through the process or think they know but have never had a kid sign. Your coach has influence like it or not. You need to start with him and have a good relationship. Remember it's not his job to get your kid into college. He can make some calls or answer other coaches questions but he does not owe it to your kid. It really falls on your shoulders to put your kid out there, do the research, communicate with colleges(assistant coaches or recruiting coaches), Choose your showcases wisely and never turn away an opportunity at any level. Always act like your interested in whatever type of school is talking to you.

Getting unbias opinion of your sons ability can be difficult on a couple of fronts.

1. Next level coaches are careful to not build false expectations.

2. It's not always easy here the truth about your kids ability.

3. unless they see him play over a period of time its only based on that moment in time.

Look for showcases that give you a written evaluation.

That's why I recomended Perfect Game. Good or bad they rate your kid.

Look at Birmingham Southern College. Coach Wiesberg gives you a five tool evaluation of all the kids at his showcase. You can compare your kid to everyone at that event.

Demarini Top 96 will be brutally honest with your kid in the one on ones after the showcase. Saw a lot of sad and shocked faces at that event.

Make no mistake it's going to cost some money. I spent the same money as a couple of friends. One of theirs is finishing his career at vandy, one is at Duke and the other is at Southeast Mo.. Some of the common denominators are listed above. You can complain about it or you can invest in your kid!

In my situation it was worth every dime to watch my kid sign and I look forward to watching him continue to play!

Good luck to you and your son!

Great information for all of us to read Slider. Thanks for the post.

My son received an invite to the Demarini Top 96 but we didn't give it much thought thinking it could be another money hunting showcase. We will have to look into it again, besides true honesty is what we are looking for anyway.

• Upvote 1

I don't know that I'd say small colleges waste their time on average players. They're giving kids an opportunity they might not have otherwise.

Let me rephrase that. I didn't mean "waste their time" thats just the way I talk. sorry. Small colleges will go after the average players because they know that the good ones are already gone to bigger and better schools. Once small colleges learn that a bigger school was interested in them, they back -off and try for the next player. i.e. small colleges were talking to my son every weekend until they learned that a Div. 1 school was wanting him. They could have said to him "if you're still interested in us, please call us". Good luck to you and your son.

I think it's a combination, they will look at a kid's numbers, especially those that stand out, that being said, they definitely look at tools as well, the difference here would be that sometimes they find a kid that is just a pure athlete and they feel they can mold him into a good college or even pro player. If a kid has good numbers say a high BA or OBP they're gonna look at that, in the course of a season the kid will have faced a variety of talent and a high average shows that over the long haul he is consistently good. This is probably more important for pitchers than hitters.

Scouts never even ask what a kids numbers are. The only numbers they look at are time from the batters box to first base and pitch speed for pithers.

Edited by Pantherfan66