THS Greg Stubbs Resigns as Viking Head Coach

Cap1

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason, I see TN High keeping it in house, promoting from within, or getting someone who used to be affiliated with the program....then again, TN High people might know better.

I'd say a TON of people know about the job being open.

I wouldn't be surprised if the hired from within either, but they now have the job posted on TSSAA's website.

"04, Bibee was at MTSU in '08 when my son had a visit there. I think he was the Secondary coach. I wouldn't think he would be interested but...just a thought. That would motivate the Viking camp wouldn't it?!

It might, but I'd say he'll probably stay at the college level.

It was strange seeing him as the Baylor coach though.

Who would they give it to and would that cause some issues if more than one guy wanted the job? if one person gets it over the other that could possibly cause some tension.

I can't accurately say whether there would be tension or not. I don't know them that well. I just wouldn't be surprised if they hired from within because they have several coaches who have been with the program for over a decade and a couple of others with head coaching experience. *IF* they hire from within I would say they would either select Wally Proffitt, Mike Mays, or Mike Wampler based on the criteria above. It's pure speculation on my part.

I can't accurately say whether there would be tension or not. I don't know them that well. I just wouldn't be surprised if they hired from within because they have several coaches who have been with the program for over a decade and a couple of others with head coaching experience. *IF* they hire from within I would say they would either select Wally Proffitt, Mike Mays, or Mike Wampler based on the criteria above. It's pure speculation on my part.

From Tricitiessports.com:

by Bucky Dent

TriCitiesSports.com

May 31, 2011

The true glory days of Tennessee High football were about 40 years ago, when the program was winning state championships and even picking up a mythical national championship along the way.

But what Greg Stubbs did during his decade steering the Viking ship from choppy waters into smooth seas can’t be overlooked. Simply put, Stubbs etched his name next to John Cropp – the man who ran the THS dynasty of the early 1970s – as one of the program’s great coaches.

Stubbs’ 94-27 record from 2001-10 includes four outright conference titles, a shared conference crown and three undefeated seasons. Eight times in 10 years, THS won at least one playoff game, advancing to the Class 4A third round in 2001 and the 4A semifinals in 2004.

No THS coach, not even Cropp, won as frequently. Only John Barnhill boasted a higher career winning percentage and he only coached for three seasons. The Vikings finished first or second in their conference for nine straight years under Stubbs before settling for a fourth place showing in 2010.

An assistant for seven years, Stubbs inherited a program which spent most of the 1980s and 1990s hinting at great things but never achieving them . B.W. Holt brought it to its nadir in 1999 when THS missed the playoffs after winding up in the TSSAA slammer for rules violations.

Holt not only broke rules, he also feuded with most media outlets in the Tri-Cities. Other than a devout minority, one of whom classlessly threatened a writer as former THS girls basketball star Rebekah Wilson signed with King in the spring of 2001, few were truly sad to see Holt depart.

One of Stubbs’ first ideas was to bring back one of the program’s proud traditions, restoring the Viking horns to the helmet. The next move was to bring back dominance.

Beginning with a shutout at Sullivan North in 2001, the Vikings won 12 straight games behind a defense featuring the likes of Bart McMillin, Josh Stickley and Ryan Baker. It was such a good defense that it earned a nickname (The Fortress) which Stubbs referenced when talking about future stop units.

Stubbs was a defense-first guy who loved playing Gene Stallings football – get a lead and use a combination of field position and defense to ice the result. Yet THS set single-season school records for rushing yards, total offense, pass completions and points scored under Stubbs.

The Vikings were also sound in the kicking game, as is often the case with well-coached squads. Whether it was a clutch field goal to win a game or a long kick or punt return to break one open, they routinely owned advantages when the ball was booted.

But the biggest thing Stubbs did in his decade of dominance was make a mostly apathetic sports town pay attention. THS turned the Stone Castle into one of the state’s great home-field advantages, winning 16 straight there at one point, and frequently filled it to and beyond its 7,500-seat capacity.

In resigning last week, Stubbs said football is a young man’s game. By that definition, the mustachioed 59-year old’s time had passed.

But by the record book’s reckoning – and by most rational accounts – Stubbs left the bar very high for the young man who succeeds him.

The word i hear is B.W Holt came back from North Carolina last yr cause there was rumors going around about Stubbs health.And he was spotted on the sidelines on a couple of nites this past season and before.Theres a couple of other peoples names that have come up.Daniel boone's head man,Jeffcounty head man,MorrisTownEast head man,Knox west assint,Clintwood(VA)head man,2 guys from the state of Florida,1 from N.Carolina and S.carolina,And 1 from Kentucky.And the person i got this from is a real good source.and he says there still coming in.But right now this were the most notable ones.Should be pretty fun to watch and see how it turns out.Hope they get someone that fits the school and the kids and the city of bristol,tn.Im sure they will,that way NE tenn doesnt loss anything as far as teams.We already catch HECK from everybody else outside of NE Tenn.

The word i hear is B.W Holt came back from North Carolina last yr cause there was rumors going around about Stubbs health.And he was spotted on the sidelines on a couple of nites this past season and before.Theres a couple of other peoples names that have come up.Daniel boone's head man,Jeffcounty head man,MorrisTownEast head man,Knox west assint,Clintwood(VA)head man,2 guys from the state of Florida,1 from N.Carolina and S.carolina,And 1 from Kentucky.And the person i got this from is a real good source.and he says there still coming in.But right now this were the most notable ones.Should be pretty fun to watch and see how it turns out.Hope they get someone that fits the school and the kids and the city of bristol,tn.Im sure they will,that way NE tenn doesnt loss anything as far as teams.We already catch HECK from everybody else outside of NE Tenn.

There are a bunch of good coaches on here. You now they will have some tough choices to make on this one. I heard also that an assistant from Tusculum has applied. That may be another one to throw in the pot.

I heard that Holt has been living in the area as well. One thing going for Holt is that he has had success pretty much everywhere except Tennessee High, a 71-12 record at Rocky Mount which I believe was his last stop. I think only one current coach in Tennessee has more all-time wins than him and only a few have a better win percentage. A couple of things going against him are his age and time at Tennessee. He's older than Stubbs so how long do you think he would stick around this time? And most people around here weren't too crazy about him. During his tenure at Tennessee they were suspended from the playoffs and he managed to even get himself suspended from a couple of games. Would Tennessee High and Holt be willing to overlook all of that?

Edited by THSVikings2004

I heard that Holt has been living in the area as well. One thing going for Holt is that he has had success pretty much everywhere except Tennessee High, a 71-12 record at Rocky Mount which I believe was his last stop. I think only one current coach in Tennessee has more all-time wins than him and only a few have a better win percentage. A couple of things going against him are his age and time at Tennessee. He's older than Stubbs so how long do you think he would stick around this time? And most people around here weren't too crazy about him. During his tenure at Tennessee they were suspended from the playoffs and he managed to even get himself suspended from a couple of games. Would Tennessee High and Holt be willing to overlook all of that?

Rocky Mount,N.C my old stomping grounds.Born and rasied,He did a heck of a job down there.

.Theres a couple of other peoples names that have come up.Daniel boone's head man,Jeffcounty head man,MorrisTownEast head man,Knox west assint,

Well throw out Coach Jenkins, I don't see him leaving to head to TN High.

Jeff County just got a new coach did they not? Hard to believe him going.

Morristown East....now I could see him leaving, but I don't know. All the East fans can pick me apart, but his program has had a lot of athletes acting like thugs on the field...TN High has a lot of exposure and I don't see their fans putting up with that garbage.

Knox West...out of area not a clue but they did have success last year.

The more interesting name is the guy from NC