Riverside A, Goodpasture AA & (drumroll, please) Beech AAA State Champs

5-Sport Dad

Not really a story, just an observation. Like most on here I'd read about the changes Beech made for whatever reason and wondered how they'd do against some strong competition at the Soddy tournament. I also wondered about their state of mind. Shouldn't have wondered, first time I noticed their team the whole group was laughing and cutting up on the way into the park, and a couple of other times between games saw large groups of their players hanging out, lots of grins. The word that came to mind was "relieved" and it looks like that attitude helped carry them on through to the title.

I wish high school softball had a song like 'One Shining Moment.' There are good, no, GREAT! stories behind all 3. Let's hear some...

I want to talk about the Riverside Lady Panthers. The biggest difference I see between them and the Beech's, Soddy Daisy's, Riverdale's and Goodpasture's of the world are that are not a perennial state powerhouse, they haven't been in this position before and they don't have a lot of the advantages of the teams I mentioned. Most of the girls are from families who are life long Decatur County residents and they don't get a lot of incoming transfers. If Coach Box is not Coach of the Year then they should do away with the award. This was all about a group of girls who cared about each other, trusted each other and their coaches and who were not in awe of the "powerhouses" and played with a purpose. When ESPN picks their "team" of the year the Riverside Lady Panthers are my choice. Along with the boys team who went back to back this year I can't imagine a more amazing story in high school athletics in 2011 in the State of Tennessee.

RHS CLASS OF 78