Top Teams in TN the Past Five Years

footballace1

I copied this from an unapproved website...

1. Maryville

Classification: Division 6A

2010 record: 14-1

Record last five years: 56-4

Opponents' W-L: 432-286

2. Alcoa

Classification: Division 3A

2010 record: 15-0

Record last five years: 58-2

Opponents' W-L: 453-274

2. Montgomery Bell Academy (Nashville)

Classification: Division II-AA

2010 record: 9-3

Record last five years: 41-10

Opponents' W-L: 368-226-1

4. Brentwood Academy

2010 record: 10-3

Record last five years: 37-14

Opponents' W-L: 360-234

5. Ensworth (Nashville)

2010 record: 10-2

Record last five years: 39-7

Opponents' W-L: 304-227

6. Smyrna

2010 record: 13-2

Record last five years: 38-15

Opponents' W-L: 403-220

7. Memphis University

2010 record: 7-4

Record last five years: 40-8

Opponents' W-L: 320-238

8. Oakland (Murfreesboro)

2010 record: 8-3

Record last five years: 35-14

Opponents' W-L: 349-221

9. Farragut (Knoxville)

2010 record: 7-5

Record last five years: 39-12

Opponents' W-L: 360-235

10. Riverdale (Murfreesboro)

2010 record: 9-4

Record last five years: 36-13

Opponents' W-L: 333-235 .

I agree with most of it. But im not sure if BA should be so high if we're just looking at the past five years.

All of the programs listed are very strong and have had great leadership for a number of years. It would be difficult to truly list the teams is any specific order unless there was a way to determine strength of schedule. When you have some teams going out of state to play the top teams in the USA and others staying local it becomes difficult to determine the top teams unless they play in head to head competition.

May I suggest Webb School of Knoxville? 44 wins; 14 losses; three state championships (2006,2010,2011), one perfect season, average scoring differential the last two years of 4:1 and 5:1 (approx).

I am very much aware of the classification issue (2006-2009 was a different the "larger school league"); unfortunately Webb has no input on classification. It would be interesting if all of the listed teams could play in a "super classification" if that were an option. And for what its worth, the Spartans are stepping into a lions den with Maryville and Ensworth as their first two games in 2011.

May I suggest Webb School of Knoxville? 44 wins; 14 losses; three state championships (2006,2010,2011), one perfect season, average scoring differential the last two years of 4:1 and 5:1 (approx).

I am very much aware of the classification issue (2006-2009 was a different the "larger school league"); unfortunately Webb has no input on classification. It would be interesting if all of the listed teams could play in a "super classification" if that were an option. And for what its worth, the Spartans are stepping into a lions den with Maryville and Ensworth as their first two games in 2011.

All have been exceptional teams, though I know far less about those from the east than I do about those from the middle of the state and MUS. Webb has been impressive lately as well. I do feel compelled, however, to correct a fairly significant inaccuracy in your post. Webb does have "input" on its classification. BA , Ensworth and BGA, all of which have enrollments substantially smaller than Knoxville Webb, would all technically be classified in DII-A, but have all voluntarily chosen to play in DII-AA. I have no problem with Webb not choosing to do so, but I do think it important to clarify that your implication that Webb is prohibited from doing so is dead wrong. Props to Webb for stepping up to play Maryville and Ensworth this year.

Edited by RedRobin

All have been exceptional teams, though I know far less about those from the east than I do about those from the middle of the state and MUS. Webb has been impressive lately as well. I do feel compelled, however, to correct a fairly significant inaccuracy in your post. Webb does have "input" on its classification. BA , Ensworth and BGA, all of which have enrollments substantially smaller than Knoxville Webb, would all technically be classified in DII-A, but have all voluntarily chosen to play in DII-AA. I have no problem with Webb not choosing to do so, but I do think it important to clarify that your implication that Webb is prohibited from doing so is dead wrong. Props to Webb for stepping up to play Maryville and Ensworth this year.

I post the below out of complete respect for The Big Red. Your athletic program is beyond compare. Your constant contribution to big time Division 1 football programs is very, very impressive.

I implied nothing what you have clearly inferred. I am correct as to from where we start. And that is at the sole judgement of the TSSAA. After that, a realistic assessment of our position size and depth must be taken into consideration. It makes for difficult football if you play every week teams that dwarf you in both categories. I guess Sugar Ray Leonard (welter weight boxing champion) could have boxed Muhammad Ali or Big John Tate, but does that make SRL less of a champion?

Again, nothing but respect for MBA. I have too many friends and kinfolk from there to consider otherwise. If I lived in Nashville, that would be the school of choice.

A lot of great programs listed there.

Milan and Henry County had some good runs in the past 5 years. If my math is correct, which it usually is not, Henry County is 54-12 in past 5 years and Milan is 51-6 in the past 4 years.

To say Webb has "no input" on their classification is not accurate. They are classified as D2-A and they do not make the choice to move up and play AA like some other schools choose to do. The choice is there so they have some input. This is not meant to be disrespectful because that is their choice to make and Im sure the school thought it through and had their reasons.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Lets be fair. Its kind of a catch-22 for Webb. As a Webb fan I understand we are not going to be able to compete every year in football in D2AA...take away school sizes and all we all know that d2AA is the best cassification in the state. Your asking a school to compete with what can essentially be labled as something better than 6a competition every year. Webb doesnt get the athletes MBA, Ensworth, McCallie, BA, MUS, CBHS does on a yearly basis for a number of reasons. Every once in a while they will have some good teams like BGA, but we will see how many state title runs BGA will realisticaly have in d2AA...they seem like this year they have a good team, but lets just see. So getting on webb for not jumping up to play in what is essentially 3-a school to play in 6-a on a yearly basis is not very fair. I will say this...Webb does have a better program than farragut and would probably of gone at least 3-2 against them in the past 5 years.

Not to mention there are more sports than football that the school has to make a decision about. Can webb only move up in football or is it a all or nothing deal? Webb is very similar to BGA. Can BGA and other qualifying schools Move down in certain sports? Bc if it was a pick and choose im pretty sure Webbs womans bball team would have choosen to stay up. Just a thought.