Jordan Mincy/ Ridgeway

Jumpshot

GoMab2

Where did you get the idea that Jordan Mincy would be eligible at Mid-term at Ridgeway. Since he transferred to Ridgeway at the beginning of the school year from a private TSSAA school, he MUST sit out for 12 calendar months. This is clearly and plainly spelled out in the TSSAA rules under Section 13 of transfer situations. Ridgeway has been the beneficiary of a number of transfers from all over the city this summer, but according to TSSAA rules, none are eligible with the exception of Rory Lawrence. Believe me, all of the schools that lost players to Ridgeway are monitoring these kids eligibility like a hawk. Don't expect to see Jordan play this yea

I'm not saying I am necessarily correct, but I had sources very close to the subject, and they had told me that Jordan would be eligible 2nd semester. Again, this may be incorrect: it's just what I was told from an inside source.....

Ridgeway does have a number of transfers, including Rory Lawrence, Jordan, Michael Rice, etc......

I don't understand the public-private transfer. Has something changed? I transferred from private to public, and then again a year later from public to private without having to sit out, when I played HS ball. It was my understanding that a public-private transfer did not require sitting out. But this was before the Div-1 and Div-II separation.........

Posted by gomab2:

I don't understand the public-private transfer. Has something changed? I transferred from private to public, and then again a year later from public to private without having to sit out, when I played HS ball. It was my understanding that a public-private transfer did not require sitting out. But this was before the Div-1 and Div-II separation.........

If you move further than across town, you can change from a public to a private or vice versa without sitting out. If, say, I moved from Bartlett to Millington and I was an athlete at ECS or Briarcrest, I couldn't use that change to get me eligible immediately. If I moved from to Jackson and wanted to go to JNS, then I'd be eligible right away.

It works the other way around, too. Maybe they've changed the rules since you played.

I transferred from private to public my senior year (97-98) and really he could be eligble. I was eligible from day one and if they are smart (and if he paid his own tuition at Briarcrest where I went) his parents could say that it is a financial thing like mine did. TSSAA didn't hold it against me and granted me a waiver since technically, everyone is entitled to a free education and if we "couldn't afford it anymore" then the player shouldn't be penalized athletically for that. By the way, I didn't have a change of address because we didn't move.

[Edited by caramelcutiepie on 10-13-02 11:36A]

Posted by caramelcutiepie:

I transferred from private to public my senior year (97-98) and really he could be eligble. I was eligible from day one and if they are smart (and if he paid his own tuition at Briarcrest where I went) his parents could say that it is a financial thing like mine did. TSSAA didn't hold it against me and granted me a waiver since technically, everyone is entitled to a free education and if we "couldn't afford it anymore" then the player shouldn't be penalized athletically for that. By the way, I didn't have a change of address because we didn't move.

[Edited by caramelcutiepie on 10-13-02 11:36A]

Hmm...that's strange. There was a girls' soccer player at Hutchison a while ago that transferred to Bartlett for her senior year because her dad was called to fight in Desert Storm and I'd assume because they couldn't afford it anymore, and the TSSAA ruled she was ineligible.

And they in all honesty couldn't afford it...and that was a horrible decision by the TSSAA.

I believe Mincy will be eligible for the region tournament.

I only say this because I can name players that played at public schools that transferred to private and competed for that private school in the region tournament...I actually know a male and a female that did it last year.

OK Everybody,

The TSSAA rule that applies to Jordan and all other athletes that transfer from a private to a public school...

"A student who attends a member private, parochial, or public school other than the school to which he or she is zoned and participates in athletics cannot transfer to another school within the territory served by these schools without losing his or her eligibility FOR A PERIOD OF TWELVE MONTHS-even though there is a change of residence."

Sounds pretty plain to me...Jordan WILL NOT PLAY this year!!!

The ZONE that is referred to is the Memphis City School zone. There is nowhere they can run and hide. The rule is specific and applies to everybody. It's a shame they couldn't be happy where they were. It will cost them a year now. Young people beware; know the rules and be VERY careful who you listen to.