How do you deal with crazy parents?

missinglink

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've about had it with all these parents griping at me about their kid not starting or not getting enough snaps. Before I go nuts this fall does anyone have any answers? Any good resources you can point me to?

Just trying to stay sane.

Just do what you are told and quit griping. Play all the kids at the same time. That to many men on the field rule is silly anyway. For real, hang in there.

I've about had it with all these parents griping at me about their kid not starting or not getting enough snaps. Before I go nuts this fall does anyone have any answers? Any good resources you can point me to?

Just trying to stay sane.

If Dad thinks Johnny is better than Tommy, tell him you will gladly have a meeting to hear him out. However, explain that Tommy and his dad will be invited to the same meeting. That usually takes care of things.

i'd play her kid, even if it got him killed. :roflolk:

Meet privately with this mother...Explain that not only will her child start, but that you are trying to consider which scholarship offers will bring them the most cash benefits and rewards...That, I assure you that brightens Mom's day! (Just hope that the kid is a 9th grader and you can WORK closely with her for the next 3 years! Mom's are particularly enthusiastic when they consider that you might save them 20 grand a year for 4 years!

It's best to clear the air early -- perhaps with a meeting prior to spring practice. Tell the parents you will be happy to discuss ANYTHING about their child EXCEPT playing time. And NEVER should that parent bring up the talents / abilities of another child.

IMO -- here's a perfectly acceptable question from a parent "What does my son need to do to get more snaps -- work harder in the weightroom, give more effort in JV or on the practice field?"

Unacceptable question -- "My kid was an all-star in junior pro, he's better than that stinking Johnson boy -- what have you got against my son?"

If you really are a coach, take it up with the kids. Tell the kids if they have questions to ask you, and be fair and honest with the kid but gentle. You can't win going at the parents. There are more of them than there are of you. We are currently raising a generation of boys that can't or won't deal with anything themselves....they let their mommies do it for them. This has got to stop. Step up coach, encourage the kids to come to you. You might end up with a better more motivated team.