Tennessean Talks District 11

mackbrown

Welcome back District 11 fans (if there are any out there?) football is almost here and as part of the High School Football Preview with what the Tennessean is doing this week they released their thoughts on D-11.

They of course picked the usual Brentwood and Franklin in the #1 and #2 spots, respectively, the only real question is why are the other schools not improving? Why is their such a lack of power outside of Brentwood or Franklin? Each year 3rd place is just there for the taking and usually promises a berth in the playoffs. I guess you can say it is just not as exciting as it used to be, having Ravenwood and Brentwood duking it out like in the early part of their rivalry, or Franklin and Independence fighting for what used to be a rivalry, now taken by a joke to most Franklin players, students and fans. Or Centennial having their one flash of greatness in 2008 only to be denied a good run by of course Brentwood. Is their hope of something different happening in 2011?

Can Centennial be on the right track to be a top team? Brian Rector, former Ravenwood HC, coming back to coach in Williamson County this time as a Cougar this time trying to rebuild a program to compete with the Bruins and Rebels. Returning with some knowledge at the college level, maybe his 42-22 record with the Raptors can give Centennial's new program hope of a future with contending. Centennial also now having two former HC's as Cordinators adding to exprience with coaches Tom Shuman and Jason Eubanks (who are two coaches that are better off cordinating).

Ravenwood on the other hand trying out yet another HC from Indiana Joe Rietveld, where he went 51-48 another mystery hire by the Raptors in hopes to find that spark they need to get back to contending, on the bright side their offensive line looks to be stacked with 3 seniors and 5 linemen over 6-5 280 pounds.

Don't get me started with Independence and Hillsboro. Indy still trying to bank on Kevin Dyson being the kind of coach they need, its a shame to say what everyone knows "He is a great guy just trying to give back to the sport..." But he isn't the right guy for the job, as of now at least but Dr. Todd Campbell is to blind to see that. Who knows maybe he'll have a better bunch of kids this year that actually want to win and win big, seeing how this years schedule is child's play compared to last years. It's also kind of sad to see in the Players to watch column seeing Independence's only player is Landon Foster... their PK/P. At least Cent, Rav, and Hillsboro had main position players on the list but thats not a good sign Dyson.... So Hillsboro well yeah good luck Amiri Hawkings, you'll need it.

Leave your predictions, expectations, big game watches, ideas, players to look out for this district below and hopefully we'll see some magic or maybe a couple of upsets happen in the district this year.. Eh I doubt it. Have a great season, peace.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brentwood and Franklin at 1 and 2 is a no-brainer, the past few years in this district have taught us that. I was surprised to see them ranked in the top ten in the state in some of the preseason polls, seeing as they don't even have a set starting quarterback and lost a ton of seniors to graduation last year. Franklin should have a strong defense and passing attack, but their lack of experience in the backfield and on the offensive line is a major question mark. I don't know what to think of Centennial, my prediction is that they will be a .500 team, an improvement from last year. Indy will have a great defense (and kicker) but struggle to put points on the board, their goal should be to get in a field range. Hilsboro, as always, will have athletes but won't produce much on the field. Ravenwood has a new head coach (again), and a lot of size, but will most likely be mediocre again. The final week of the regular season should determine the district champion, as Franklin and Brentwood square off at FHS. I will give a slight edge to the Rebels here because they have more experience back, notably at QB.

My predicted order of finish:

1. Franklin

2. Brentwood

3. Centennial

4. Independence

5. Hilsboro

6. Ravenwood

Has anyone else heard that FHS's numbers are really down and that they have pulled freshman to varsity that will see significant playing time?

I have no idea if this is true or not, but have heard about it from two different places.

Our overall numbers are down. Blame that on Williamson County clever "re-zoning".

1.BHS

2.IHS

3.FHS

4.RHS

5.CHS

6.HHS

Is the franklin qb really good as advertised? Chs always seems to have talent but never do to much with it

1FHS

2BHS

3CHS

4IHS

5RHS

6HHS

and yes, he is. Great arm, and great mobility in the pocket to buy extra time...not exactly a scrambler, although he can do that too when needed. As his offensive line improves over the season, he will as well because he'll be able to make more throws from the pocket. Already has a D1 offer, and many more are expected to line up and start offering if he plays as expected this season