Farragut Defense 2011

Former44

It is obvious Farragut has issues with depth. There are only about 65 players listed on the varsity. I have been following Farragut football for a long time, and I never remember a roster with that few players. At the same time, Farragut’s enrollment has dropped steadily since 2007.

There is no question that the football program is now fully experiencing the impact of losing so many kids to Hardin Valley, not to mention the four private schools located in West Knoxville.

Furthermore, two quality Nitro’s apparently have left the team. That is really unfortunate. Senior Tyler Haynes was experienced and very solid. I truly believe junior Clint Callahan had the potential to be outstanding. Callahan had excellent size, and he was getting tremendous A-gap push at the end of last season. A critical position that could have had a dominating rotation is now woefully thin.

However, you have to play with what you have. I have always been of the opinion that Farragut’s Achilles heel is getting players in the right position. Here are just a few suggestions I think might get the defense headed in the right direction:

1. Someone needs to get some snaps at Nitro. It is virtually impossible for one kid, in a three-man front, to take on a double-team every single snap. I would like to see #50 get some snaps at Nitro. He appears to have pretty good size. Maybe they could use someone from the OL to provide some depth for a few reps.

2. The linebackers are very inexperienced, and they could use a little more speed on the outside. I would actually like to see Madison Brown get some snaps at OLB. He is rangy and can cover ground. I also think he could be a big asset in coverage. Furthermore, I would like to see #2 get some reps at OLB. I know he will have to be “coached-upâ€, but he has good athletic ability. I hate to see him lost on the sidelines for half the season like Jordan Freeman was in 2010.

3. I would like to see #6 and #7 get more reps at RCB. Johnson and Fain may also need to play some corner as well.

4. Farragut must get the best players on the field, even if it means playing both ways. The days of playing exclusively one-way are out the door and enrolled at Hardin Valley, Catholic, Webb, and CAK.

At any rate, these are just some suggestions based on what I have observed.

Incidentally, does anyone know when Doucette will return?

Edited by Former44

65 kids is no doubt a loss of kids for them. Honestly weather you have 35,65,or 85 you are going to in most cases have the same twenty or so guys that do most of the playing anyways. They should still be successful. I doubt they have went more than about 25 deep anyways when they have more kids. Maybe for a couple of special teams slots. You can win with 11 good football players!

65 kids is no doubt a loss of kids for them. Honestly weather you have 35,65,or 85 you are going to in most cases have the same twenty or so guys that do most of the playing anyways. They should still be successful. I doubt they have went more than about 25 deep anyways when they have more kids. Maybe for a couple of special teams slots. You can win with 11 good football players!

I feel your pain. Oak Ridge used to have close to 100 guys suiting up when i was in school in the mid 90's...now we are lucky to have 75 or so. Numbers have dropped in Oak Ridge as well. Why we havent been dominating like we used to. That and the kids we do have playing just havent had the talent that the OR teams of the past have had. With our Semifinal appearance last year though, it looks like we may have turned the corner. this year at least. With what i have seen from the JV and Frosh so far it doesnt look too great either.