Big Games in Memphis

kwc

Thanks again,KWC, from your upper West Tennessee neighbors.No Commercial, No TV, No Radio up here so you, Trader B, and others are ourinformation source for Memphis HS football. Anyone there got the Whitehaven, Manassas,and Fairly scores?

I attended the classic kinda of late so I don't know what the outcome of the Westwood game. However I believe Fairley def. Hamilton 20-6. And the Whitehaven/Hilcrest game was a massacre. I left at hafttime. Whitehaven was up on Hilcrest 45-0 AT HALFTIME! Whitehaven accually played the B-Team midway in the second quarter. I will say that from what I saw of WHS- If the playcalling continues to be aggressive instead of conservative, Whitehaven will destroy people with their offense especially their passing game. THe QB displayed superior accuracy and arm strenth. He (#15) was like 7 of 8 from the field. He scored on the first or second play of each every possession so he didn't have much opportunity to throw more. However, the times he did throw we was VERY affective. Whitehaven's defense will not miss a beat, they are SMART and agressive. Actually, there secondary seems to be stronger (I believe they returned everyone from the secondary).

Now I know this was against inferior competition, but I see the same team from last year's semi-final team. I do not see a drop off in any postion. As I said if they the offensive coordinator continues to MAKE AGRESSIVE CALLS AND NOT BE TOO CONSERVATIVE when he is faced with real competition they have the opportunity to make it to state!

Anyone who attended the game what was the final Whitehaven/Hillcreast game?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I attended the classic kinda of late so I don't know what the outcome of the Westwood game. However I believe Fairley def. Hamilton 20-6. And the Whitehaven/Hilcrest game was a massacre. I left at hafttime. Whitehaven was up on Hilcrest 45-0 AT HALFTIME! Whitehaven accually played the B-Team midway in the second quarter. I will say that from what I saw of WHS- If the playcalling continues to be aggressive instead of conservative, Whitehaven will destroy people with their offense especially their passing game. THe QB displayed superior accuracy and arm strenth. He (#15) was like 7 of 8 from the field. He scored on the first or second play of each every possession so he didn't have much opportunity to throw more. However, the times he did throw we was VERY affective. Whitehaven's defense will not miss a beat, they are SMART and agressive. Actually, there secondary seems to be stronger (I believe they returned everyone from the secondary).

Now I know this was against inferior competition, but I see the same team from last year's semi-final team. I do not see a drop off in any postion. As I said if they the offensive coordinator continues to MAKE AGRESSIVE CALLS AND NOT BE TOO CONSERVATIVE when he is faced with real competition they have the opportunity to make it to state!

Anyone who attended the game what was the final Whitehaven/Hillcreast game?

Whitehaven should, therefore, have ZERO problems destroying Ridgeway!

Whitehaven should, therefore, have ZERO problems destroying Ridgeway!

Each week presents a different challenge when dealing with kids. The Mitchell Westwood game was a ridiculously long with passing every down and a bunch of penalties. I think Mitchell won like 34-12 or something like that. Mitchell continued to throw the ball until all the time was off the clock. Four hours later Fairley was victorious over Hamilton 22-6. Star running back Marcus Holliday was hurt seriously on his first carry as a senior. Prayers go out to him and his family. The Whitehaven game was called at halftime do to weather with the score 53-0. Respect the Haven!!!!

Ok Memphis area high school football fans, it's that time of the year again. It's Week 0 and there are plenty of Big Games to be played. If you've seen my posts in recent years, you know how we do this. I'm going to list what I think are the big games in the Memphis area and then I am going to try and prognosticate those games. This is an open thread where you the reader are implored to join in the fun as well. It's just some good ole clean fun. I'm sorry for not posting this earlier, but the old saying of "Better late then never!" applies in this case ... LOL!

If you would like to add a game to the list, you are more then welcome. I do not try to list every game being played on any particular week end. I list what I think are Big Games.

P.S. The number by a team is their Commercial Appeal Dandy Dozen ranking.

That being stated ... let's do this!

BIG GAMES IN MEMPHIS .... WEEK 0

(1) Ridgeway vs. White Station

Time/place: 7 p.m. at Halle Stadium

(5) Wooddale at (4) CBHS

Time: 7 p.m.

Ensworth at (2) MUS

Time: 7:30 p.m.

(9) Olive Branch at Madison Central

(10) Arlington at Murfreesboro Oakland

Trezevant at Melrose

Time: 7:00 p.m.

Southwind vs. East at Fairgrounds

Brighton at Murfreesboro Riverdale

With this being the preseason ... this makes these predictions much more difficult. With that disclaimer being proclaimed ... here goes ...

(1) Ridgeway vs. White Station:

Last year, White Station didn't follow it's 2009 tittle as they had hoped. This is a new year and a chance for getting back to being a dominant FB team in Memphis. To be the best, you have to beat the best ... and last year, RW was the best. RW lost an assistant coach to become the new head coach at Wooddale ... what kind of domino effect will that have on RW? Even though all of the preseason talk has been about RW ... don't sleep on WS ... they always have talent. Has the RW team been reading their clippings and started to think they will win just because they are being touted as the best? All of this makes you go ... Hmmmmmmm ...

I really don't know, but since I started this thing I'm going to pick a team ... and that is RW.

RW ... 28, WS ... 21

(5) Wooddale at (4) CBHS:

Wow ... another delima. Wooddale has three players to already commit to D1 schools already. They have Jovon Robinson ... let me repeat that .... they have Jovon Robinson. (If you haven't seen him play in person, you are doing yourself an injustice). Wooddale also has a brand new head coach, who was an assistant at RW last year. CBHS on the other hand is ALWAYS fundimentally sound and loaded with talent. I read in the CA where CBHS is young at most of it's positions, except at QB ... and that speaks volumes. To beat Wooddale ... you are going to have to eat clock and keep JR off of the field. My pick is .... CBHS.

Wooddale ... 14, CBHS ... 21

Ensworth at (2) MUS:

I'm of the same mindset as the MUS head coach and that is, if Ensworth is coming to town, you better believe that they think they have the talent to win! MUS didn't respond to their back to back titles like they would have liked last year. They have experience and they scrimmaged both Ridgeway and Whitehaven this summer to get prepared for the season. I'm just going to be a homer in this one and go with MUS.

Ensworth ... 17, MUS ... 24

(9) Olive Branch at Madison Central:

Well, OB is up to it's old tricks again, and that is recruiting players from Memphis programs. They hit Melrose pretty hard by stealing four players. (Oops ... did I types that? ... those were all legit transfers) Anyway, recruiting aside, will OB have enough to defeat MC is the question. I'm not convinced.

Olive Branch ... 21, Madison Central ... 35

(10) Arlington at Murfreesboro Oakland:

In an attemp to prepare Arlington for the post season, the coach has scheduled some non district games against some tougher opponents than it has in the previous seasons. I commend that move and I believe it will pay off in the long run. Beating a bunch of inferior teams will tend to give a team an over inflated sense of self. Oakland is an excellent program.

Go here and check out their history (2010 & 2009): http://www.coacht.com/tennessee/inside/schedule.cfm?SchoolID=380&SportID=1&SeasonID=149

I think Arlington loses ... but they will be better prepared for the post season as a result of the newer, tougher schedule.

Arlington ... 14, Oakland ... 28

Trezevant at Melrose:

Trezevant played in the state championship game last year in 3A. They looked horrible in that game ... but they played in it just the same. Melrose, on the other hand, had a horrible season last year, compared to Melrose standards. They have a brand new coach. They just lost four of their players to Olive Branch. I don't know about you, but I think Melrose could be on the brink of a sharp decline if things continue to spiral downward. Melrose should win this game, but who knows what to expect from them this year. I'm going to pick Melrose, but I wouldn't be surprised if Trezevant won.

Trezevant ... 21, Melrose ... 35

Southwind vs. East:

Southwind has been quietly improving on each season as they go along. East didn't have the season last year that some felt that they should of had. Both have potential to be really good this season. I know some of you are wondering why I selected this game. I just think both teams are going to do better this year then they did last year. I just can't put a finger on it. Southwind is the bigger school and they have a proven coach. I'm going with SW in this one.

Southwind ... 28, East ... 21

Brighton at Murfreesboro Riverdale:

Brighton is in the same boat as Arlington. They had a tremendous season last year, but their quality of opponents was lacking, IMO. They have beefed up the non district part of their schedule with Riverdale! Good step coach. I think they play well ... but this will be a Riverdale victory. Brighton will be all the better for playing this game however.

Brighton ... 14, Riverdale ... 35

Well ... that's it for me. What do you guys think?

White Station came out strong ... I missed that one by a mile ... not only did RW lose ... they got HAMMERED!

CBHS won like I thought, I thought WD's 'D' would be a tid stiffer.

MUS lost and I took one for the team because of my homerism. Oh well, you win some and you lose some.

Olive Branch beat Madison Central ... I missed that one!

Arlington lost to Oakland like I thought, but that was a good loss in my book.

Melrose beat Trezevant like I thought ... but I still don't know what to think of the Golden Wildcats.

East beat Southwind to start the season with a bang. I missed that one.

Riverdale absolutely KILLED Brighton ... oh my goodness. That was embarrasing ... but, now they know.

Well ... I was 4-4 on my picks ... at least I was at 0.500!

Edited by kwc