Early Bird KIL 8-27 Farragutt

PHargis

Hey guys, I am a grapefruit girl!!!

Funny, but I pictured you more as lemons. Or maybe Fruit Loops if you really think Science Hill and Tennessee High are better than Dobyns Bennett and Sullivan Central.

Better stick to stirring the pot in Knoxville as Central beat SH 3-0 on Tuesday and TN High 3-1 last night.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found out tonight that Farragut won the KIL based on wins and points scored against them.

Whoa. Can't have a winner before the tournament is over.......cuz still playing tomorrow. GPS looked strong; by far looked most dominant in the gym, Farragut hung in there for sure; perhaps most consistent- have lots of talent an experience. DIdn't see all the teams tonight. Most disappointing was Karns from previous years; they lost a lot of players, they and Powell are of the same level. Liked DB even with coaching in changes - team has cohesiveness and Franklin. Lots of very good volleyball considering early season. Coaches are smart to participate and mix it up to decide their lineups. I think it's smart to move kids a round, try different rotations to see what works in this kind of tournament. It's a bit early in the season to make solid rankings. But East Tennessee has some good teams in the collection seen tonight. But the State Tournament will look much different in my opinion.

From what I have heard the Chattanooga teams did well this evening. Each team played 2 matches this evening with the 3rd pool play match in the morning.

Baylor defeated alcoa and morristown west both in 2 games.

Signal mtn defeated oak ridge and db

Gps defeated kars and lenior city

Soddy daisy defeated Gibbs and Hixson

Could have 4 Chattanooga teams in the gold bracket!

Congrats to all the teams and good luck tomorrow

From what I have heard the Chattanooga teams did well this evening. Each team played 2 matches this evening with the 3rd pool play match in the morning.

Baylor defeated alcoa and morristown west both in 2 games.

Signal mtn defeated oak ridge and db

Gps defeated kars and lenior city

Soddy daisy defeated Gibbs and Hixson

Could have 4 Chattanooga teams in the gold bracket!

Congrats to all the teams and good luck tomorrow

sources told me that Walker Valley defeated both karns and lenior city and will play GPS on saturday AM??

any new for tournment in bradley county??

What surprises me k2 is why didn't you mention Soddy Daisy earlier. Or Blackman, you haven't mentioned them a time. The point is now is this, and Districts 3 and 4 may or may not be involved. Two schools will come out of Districts 1,2,3,and 4. Its evident,right now, South will be one of them. The other school is not exactly known nor should it be. You say its Anderson and if you were to see Anderson about a month ago at the Brentwood Team Camp, even you would say its not likely. OK, that was not their team that came and I watched. So the options are Anderson, catholic and Faragut, one will have to play South in the sectionals. The way they are playing which of the three can beat them. IMO, likely any would have a problem but its possible. Catholic and Anderson have had wars all of the way thru AA and now they are going to take it up again in AAA. that series has gone down to the wire to the last time they played. How sure will it be that it won't happen again? Personally it doesn't make any difference but South seems to be one of the most logical surity and thee other schoool will come from the #2 in District 1-2 and the two schools out of 3-4. Soddy is playing good in Distrct 5 and so is Walker of late. And I.m not sure how much you keep up with them but 5, 6,7,and 8 is in the same boat. You say Soddy will be in State and the chances are likely but they will have to beat cookeville. Cookeville plays hot and cold. If they are hot, as you say of teams in your District, they will give anyone a battle, i.e., 6'2" jumper/hitter. New coach, new system, maybe not likely. Then it comes down to Soddy and the #2 playing whoever comes out of likely District 7AAA who will be Blackman, Riverdale or Siegel. Soddy beat #2 Riverdale last year, Riverdale lost a lot but think they are stronger. Right now they're hurt but they could beat one of those teams. Blackman is better and might do all right. Siegel is capable of beating either if things fall right. The top 4 teams in 7AAA are on par with 5AAA but not on par with 11AAA. just because someone wins a Tournament this time of the year does not mean they are a sure in for anything. I am sure Coach johnson, the coach at Ooltewah, the coach at Walker and others would say the same.

So what does all of this mean. For District 3 and 4, if South is playing as well as they seem to be "right NOW", there will be 3 schools to play for one spot, one out of District 1 and 2 and 2 out of 3 and 4, your choice. At team camp at Brentwood,

Siegel beat Anderson with very little trouble 12 and 14 if I remember, and it may have been worse than that. That doesn't mean Anderson was bad but Anderson was Anderson that day. Maybe they should have had some of your club work. New coach???....Anderson cannot play like that if that was their team and expect to even think to get to State unless the District is that weak this year. Those two Districts are in your own zone and world. You stopped some years ago trying to get Tournament ready and the rest said good deal. So it looks that someone has hung their hats on Anderson Plan 1 and if that doesnt work out, whats plan 2 and where do you go?? With all of the coaching changes, a school that has few club members, and some stiff graduation losses.............. head to Bristol. Chattanooga will always be there but I hadnt thought of knoxville of being part of the Chattanooga technical people. They are a group by themselves.

I skipped the tournament yesterday to watch golf at Fox Den but I heard there were some good matches on Saturday. Farragut parents and fans were disappointed that the girls tried the tip strategy against AC, this most likely cost them the match. Each game was very close (23-25, 25-20, 13-15) and Farragut had NO big hits and very few attempts. This evens the score between these two teams for the season, so I hardly think there is any foregone conclussion regarding who advances in the post season.

And there is a KIL tournament, and Farragut did win it. It was played this past Monday and Tuesday at Farragut, Bearden, and Catholic but it is a total waste of time especially since Karns chooses to dodge it year after year.

I think that I take your post as it was written and the spirit its written. It certainly is defensive in content but I am not going to argue with you on that. For the past seven years I have tried to help this site provide a better way to bring three parts of the State together by using communication from a lot of fans to promote the game. Glad you mentioned Siegel. Most who have been around for a while already realized that but 7AAA is really my interest.

Secondarily my effort with T is to arrive at a ranking system by using fans thruout the State. I have found that it really is the most accurate way of doing it no matter if they are parents or not. Most are very realistic and tell it like it is and fi they are just promoting a player, it is very obvious. Most of the time its obvious depending on the intensity of the response. First of the season rankings mean really nothing only to say how schools seem to be doing and to determine what it takes to do better. Three times I have posted the reason Anderson did not seem to be a good choice and no one responded except they are going to be good. No one said that it was not their team. It only says now that they do have some track record and things have changed. I did not know you were an adament Anderson Fan until you kept on mentioning them. And then when you mentioned a place to help get players scholarshps at Anderson, I thught it might be part of your business. I emailed the coach at Anderson in july trying to find out when they were playing their preseason. i was going to try to find them. Got an answer from an assistant principal about not being able to pass my email on. SAW their entance into Brentwood Team Camp, watched them, enjoyed the match, could tell it was a great group and fine fans, was not overly impressed and it was history. I really dont think I need to explain all of this. I try to put all of this together and you have a club. you evidently make some of your living with your club. I dont. My preferences have been known for some time, good or bad. Those with strong preferences other than an objective opinion will always disagree. My opinions have more to do with coaches with track records than those with little or none. That is the way this game works.

I am putting together rankings, my own, for the State for each classification. It means nothing except to take all that I have found and seen to see what a starting point is. An example is someone asked about an opinion about Ooltewah. Ooltewah and what they expected was a comparison with District 11 and 7. 7 was to get to State and 11 was to win the state. I told them kindly. K2, in all candor, their coach wants to be at State every year and so do their players. i watched them against Brentwood and gave my opinion. The opinion was that day. I have watched them for over 6 years. I saw you posting two years ago and I know you run a club around the knowville area and compete with the other clubs there and while appreciate your work becasue I watched your teams when they have been in Franklin and they are sound technically. But this is another league and your club is another situation and if all of this is to promote players on your club, count me out. For you to know Andersons record for the last number of years means nothing, For 6 years I have seen it but today with a new coach it means nothing. Post about them as you want but I have to call it like I see it for what is realistic.

i think we now are at a point that I see your point and you are not coaching every team in those two districts and everyone has to have consideration according to what Im trying to do. At least you are not another Oracat who was..............no not going the Oak Ridge route. I scouted them too and got the same result last year.

Edited by PHargis

Soddy-Daisy Wins Gold At Early Bird Volleyball Tournament

posted August 27, 2011

The Soddy-Daisy girls volleyball team walked away from the Early Bird Tournament in Knoxville

without a loss on Saturday.

Soddy Daisy topped Gibbs 2-0 in the opening round Friday with 25-13 and 25-12 scores. Hixson was the next opponent and took one game from the Lady Trojans but Soddy-Daisy won with scores of 25-9, 21-25, and 15-9.

After winning their pool on Friday, Soddy Daisy played Oak Ridge Saturday

and won 29-27 and 25-9. The quarter final round was a strong Murfreesboro

team, Blackman. Soddy took two straight with scores of 25-19 and 25-20.

Walker Valley topped Signal Mountain 2-0 in their quarter final round to

advance to the semi-finals against Soddy. The Lady Trojans won 2-0,

with scores of 25-7 and 25-17.

The finals pitted Soddy Daisy against

Anderson County. Anderson County beat the home team, Farragut, to

advance to the finals. Soddy Daisy topped Anderson County 2-0 with

scores of 25-20 and 25-17. Soddy Daisy is now 9-0 for the season.

Soddy Daisy Scores and Stats:

Soddy-Daisy defeated Gibbs 25-13, 25-12

Soddy-Daisy defeated Hixson 25-9, 21-25, 15-9

Soddy-Daisy defeated Oak Ridge 29-27, 25-9

Soddy-Daisy defeated Blackman 25-19, 25-20.

Soddy-Daisy defeated Walker Valley 25-7, 25-17

Soddy-Daisy defeated Anderson County 25-20, 25-17

Combined Stats:

Sara Davis: 9 aces, 2 kills, 62 digs

Kelsey Nunley: 5 aces, 34 kills, 51 digs, 1 block

Cassidy Hackney: 4 aces, 9 digs, 40 assists

Olivia Holden: 7 aces, 3 kills, 40 digs, 84 assists

Megan Ware: 4 aces, 29 digs

Rachael Shaughnessy: 18 aces, 51 kills, 19 digs, 13 blocks

Laura Jenkins: 12 kills, 2 blocks

Alex Schafer: 26 kills, 13 digs, 2 blocks

Becca Johnson: 24 kills, 10 digs, 6 blocks, 8 assists

Haley Reynolds: 2 blocks, 1 kill

Baylor Scores and Stats:

Baylor vs Alcoa 25-14 25-18

Baylor vs Morristown West 25-18 25-22

Baylor vs Hancock Co 25-6 25-10

Baylor vs. GPS 25-12 20-25 13-15

Baylor vs. Farragut 23-25 20-25

Combined Stats

Rachel Travis 29 kills, 27 digs, 11 aces, 2 assists, 1 block

Nicole Sumida 24 kills, 14 digs, 7.5 blocks, 4 aces, 2 assists

Madeline Rose 21 kills, 21 aces, 20 digs, 3.5 blocks

Leah Helton 28 kills, 6 digs

Lindsey Yates 46 assists, 17 digs, 3 aces

Megan Kaylor 41 assists, 5 digs, 3 aces

Braleigh Angel 11 digs, 3 aces

Rachel Ford 4 aces, 2 kills, 2 assists

| Breaking News | Sports | Opinion | Happenings | Classifieds | Obituaries |

| Dining Out | Business | Movies | Focus | About Us |

| Church | Living Well | Memories | Outdoors | Real Estate | Student Scene | Travel |

Edited by PHargis

We had a GREAT time at a pretty well run tournament. The gym was hot as...well you know.

After seeing the top 8 it looked like many teams had a hitter or a hitter and a setter or maybe even 2 hitters.

My thoughts of last day...

Soddy was dominate. Big middle, good setter and 2 other real hitters. Just a very well rounded team overall. Being that my child plays for Walker Valley I see them all season and Soddy doesn't have many off nights.

AC is good but could have been beat by Farragut. It was a good game.

Baylor has the talent and and on their day could have won the whole thing.

Walker Valley has no real hitters. The highest flyer is a sophomore that doesn't play much and her timing is not what it should be next year. They seem to do it with the serve and their ability to place the ball and cover very well.

GPS has a high flying hitter that hits as hard as anyone I have seen but hits into the net or out alot. After her they are good but an average team.

Signal is big in the front row but doesn't hit as hard as most and are not as fast on coverage as the other top 8.

I never saw Blackmon play.

All this could change from week to week,Congrats to all the young ladies. Should be alot of fun at Choo-Choo this weekend!!!

Good post and if you will analyze defense of schools. In the end, with however many hitters there are, that will be the determining point at this level. net and back row. Seemed to learn that from many Chattanooga teams over the years.

Edited by PHargis

Announcements