Best players in the NBA from TN

cdm2003

I do not see how anyone can even argue or dispute that Shawn Marion is the best player from Tennessee in the NBA right now. He is right at a 20 and 10 guy. Hardaway had a good start...but he has done nothing for the better part of 4 years now. Ron Mercer? He never did anything to be ranked ahead of Marion...he is a decent pro...that will stay in the league a while based on his ability to come off the bench and score. What about Lorenzen Wright? He is a very solid pro. I believe he averaged about 13 Points last year...and right at double digit rebounds. Trenton Hassell won't be a star in the league...ever IMO. He will be a good player who will get good time. I assume he will be relegated to the bench this season...as Jay Williams and Jalen Rose will be the starting guards(I could be wrong Rose COULD be a SF).

The Bucks think very highly of Haislip. I am not saying he is the reason they traded Robinson...but he made them feel MUCH better about getting rid of him. He had a good game tonight...FWIW. I keep thinking Yarborough will break out...he has a lot of tools...but who knows.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how you could say that Trenton Hassell is better than Mercer at this point in his career. I mean Hassell hasn't done anything yet really. He had some good times last year and look good at times but I mean he just hasn't done anything to be compared with Mercer yet though. Why do you say Hassell was why they traded Mercer? I thought it was so they could get a guy like Jalen Rose with as much talent as Mercer but also a good point guard in Travis Best. I wish Hassell the best of luck though, I just don't think he could be ranked higher than Mercer though.

You guys have to be kidding me?!?

At this point, you have to say the best player to come out of TN is Penny Hardaway. Marion is second, and could eclipse Penny, but right now, Penny is the CLEAR answer......

-Penny has the highest career scoring average of any TN player (17.6 ppg-and that even includes his last two frustrating years)...

-Penny is a 4 time All Star, compared to no All Star selections from the others...

-Penny has the highest single season scoring of any TN player (21.7 ppg, to 19.7 for Mercer, to 19.1 for Marion)...

-Penny destroys the competition on Playoff Scoring with a career playoff average of 21.5 ppg, compared to Marion's 10.8 ppg and Mercer's 7.8 ppg...

-Penny also chips in a TN-high 5.8 carreer APG, with 4.8 rpg...

1-Penny (17.6 career ppg, 5.8 apg)

2-Marion (16.3 career ppg, 9.4 rpg)

3-Mercer (16.5 career ppg, 2.5 apg)

4-Delk (8.9 career ppg, 12.3 single season high ppg)

5-Wright (8.7 career ppg, 12.4 single season high ppg)

6-Hassell (8.7 career ppg, 8.7 single season high ppg)

-Also, Penny has done all of this while playing on better teams, which he defferred some of his stats to teammates, while a player like Mercer was often a go-to-guy on a terrible team, inflating his stats. Penny has more Playoff games than all of the others combined (54 games to 47 for all of the other TN players).....

Anfernee Hardaway is the best player (at this point) to have ever come from TN and play in the NBA......

[Edited by gomab2 on 10-13-02 1:20A]

was the best player right now. Maybe I misunderstood. If you base it on the best player from Tennessee for his career that is playing in the NBA it is definately Penny. That career PPG will take another hit this year for Penny...I just don't understand what happened to him.

If these were all time...surely someone else can be in those rankings. Admittedly no one comes to mind :0...but SURELY there is...

right now the two hottest are Marion and Hassell. If i can find the link i will post it but. Hassell's stats and defense for the bulls were very good.

all-time penny's beginning was good but he has faded fast. my tops would be:

marion

hassell

delk

mercer

hardaway

honorable mention all-time(todd day, elliot perry, david vaughn, vincent askew, charles davis, dontae jones, and anybody i forgot) it takes a heckuva lot to get to that level so all guys should be recognized.

this is based solely on last years performance.

as far as yarborough and haislip until they play we can't even consider them.