Running up the score POLL

BigG

Running up the score  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What goal total do you consider a "running up the score" amount?

We'll try this out and see how it goes...

This is the first poll we've tried in a while, so we may need to tweak it.

I also left the results as "public" which shows who voted what (which could make things interesting!). We can change that if necessary...

Edited by BigG

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I Love Copy and Paste

GHSA Mercy Rule

National Federation Mercy Rule

If a Team is 7 or More Goals Down at the Midpoint of the first half (20 or Less Minutes Played), the half will end and the Second Half will be 20 Minutes.

If a Team is 7 or More Goals down at Halftime, the second half will be 20 Minutes in Length.

If a team is 10 or More Goals Down in the Second Half, the game will be Terminated.

Here are the decision points considering it is a HS Varsity match:

If you have achieved the 7-goal differential at the 20-minute mark of the first half, the half will end. The second half will be 20 minutes in length unless a 10-goal differential is attained and then the games ends.

If you have achieved the 7-goal differential at the end of the first half, the second half will be 20 minutes in length unless a 10-goal differential is attained and then the games ends.

If the goal differential goes below 7 during the second half, that half is still 20 minutes

If you attain a 10-goal differential in the 2nd half, the game ends immediately

Edited by MVM

Doesn't it really depend on who's playing? If the freshman are playing against someone's varsity it's different than when a D-1 scholarship player scores her 9th goal with 3 assists to make the score 12-4.

Good point coach, and I agree.

The biggest problem is the talent differential in some of the districts. You had to put a plan in place before the game got out of hand to reign in the scoring.

I tried very hard in my 8 years of coaching to never go into double digits. I think it happened about 4 times in the 160 games, though it did happen even WITH restrictions.

Alot has to do with HOW the team handles itself, as well. Win and lose with class. Always show respect to the opponent regardless of their talent. Know that "your day will come" sometime in your career when you aren't on the top team.

G- Maybe should have added another option to vote on:

"I don't think there is such a thing as Running Up the Score, so no point differential is too much"...

D

I'll try to edit and add it... (not having much luck, however)

So Champs, your saying that you don't think their is a running up the score, or you just want to add that option?

Edited by BigG

As always, this is a sticky situation. Sometimes there is a team, who doesn't want to be there. We ran into that last week. It was 8-0 in 22 minutes. So........what is fair?

Play with your club in the spring, train all summer, work on shooting from 30 yards out, and then get set on the bench because you get 3 goals in the first 5 minutes of the game? Tell your players not to score goals? Isn't that the object of the game that we all love? Then, get dirty looks when you play keep away? Or complete that 10th pass so you can shoot? But only from outside the 18?

I actually told the ref that if the ball didn't come off a head, or a volly, to blow offside or something. He laughed, and said he would think about it.

So, what did I do?

I let them play. It's not our fault. My girls have been stomped into the grass many times before. They know how it is. But they did their best. Which is what I ask for. There will always be "that game" that everyone gets down on the team and the coach about. It is like Death and Taxes.

I have 27 girls. My starters spent most of the time on the bench that day. I felt sick about it. They deserved to play.

Sometimes it isn't even good practice to have a game like that. I was longing for a practice field so I could let my 16 girls that were being benched go and play 8v8 or something.