Soddy Daisy wins Tandem tournament

PHargis

LA, to one degree or another fans have little to do with what you have posted but if what you have explained is something that is happening all over the State, I am traveling in different circles.

Yes, I have seen fans stomp the stands to make noise. I have seen fans make a lot of noise. I have seen students yell foot fault sometimes. I have seen a TSSAA Official call to the attention of a home team asst coach of the fact and the home team coach go to the visiting students about it and tell them not to yell during play. I have seen home team students and fans go out in front of the stands in the same match almost to the court sidelines making noise. The up official made no effort to calm it. Horns are not allowed in matches but people are ingenius enough to be able to make horn noise at a match. As long as it is done outide of play or follows rules, everything would seem to be all right.

Now, Volleyball players aren't creampuffs and so fragile they can't expect some of this and, by the way can be shown how to handle this ,not only in a dignified way but in a way, if needed, to shut the noise down permently for that match. Certainly, fans should be able to express their thoughts between points and enjoy themselves at a match.

All of this is to say that this Sport seems to be going thru a period that needs some fan education as to what can be allowed and what cannot be allowed within the time of play. Three years ago, this site had some information given as to fans reaction and crowd control and who did it. For a while, at sporting events, a security officer and a security team met in front of the scorers table and discussed security issues before the match. Some may think this is not needed but it may be.

Education needs to be given to players concerning their rights and how they should handle situations concerning noise in play. While it was determined three years ago, noise control was at disgression ot the officials, handing it off to a coach who would handle the situation. This site used to have someone who came on the site and explained the issues to fans and the penalties. Now this deals with fan control.

Issues involving conduct of the game is being handled by officials calling the matches.

Now about issues concerning line judges, players and fans. These too may be disgressionary items. The handling of these calls or any inappropriate actions may need to be educated.

Officials will not handle situations the same thru the State. With schools and parents moving sometimes the length of the State,its obvious that some education needs to be given which likely does or does not have anything to do with the match. Crowd control is important and we are getting close to the Tournaments. it is obvious that a lot of fans and others do not know the crowd noise rules and it needs to be explained.

Edited by PHargis

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like the cheering and yelling that go on at basketball and softball games.many times i've seen someone holler as a player shoots a free throw. and i've seen the softball doing chants. parnets and fans stomp the bleachers. sound like spectators not aware of etiquette. parents of sofball and basketball are use to hollering at refs and being loud. VB coaches need to explain the difference to parents. sound like the admiral is a little fustrated with those trojans. :popcorneater:

Edited by OHS80

sounds like the cheering and yelling that go on at basketball and softball games.many times i've seen someone holler as a player shoots a free throw. and i've seen the softball doing chants. parnets and fans stomp the bleachers. sound like spectators not aware of etiquette. parents of sofball and basketball are use to hollering at refs and being loud. VB coaches need to explain the difference to parents. sound like the admiral is a little fustrated with those trojans. :popcorneater:

80, you are very perceptive in your post. A number of years back I had a lot to learn in the etiquette of volleyball and the more I watched it at College level and on TV, it was a different game than some of the purist made me believe. High School is different only becasue its high school. I have been a tennis player in the past so the relationship between tennis and volleyball is simular. Volleyball seems to be louder and with less respect than tennis. Volleyball took a downturn a few years back and started a return and on its return, it looks to have an education of its own as to the way its run. Some want it like it used to be. I want it to be the way a fan is comportable with it. Some of the sport needs to be left alone and it will change at its will. But with crowd behavior changing in athletics, one has to be concerned with behavior and the way things are done.

The way I explained what I have just seen, on I think, two weekends make me think the player needs to have some input on the organization of play. A lot of the rules, in high school are at an officials opinion. That's all right but you see softball at 2:00 and cheer and at 5:00 you see volleyball and you cheer. Put the opinion on paper and tell the fans what it is. No one wants to do that because how strange it will sound. But common courtesy is always right even if a fan is hyper in the way "pulling for your team" is interpreted to mean. Three years ago that way was looked at and I thought resolved but it has evolved even more and it again needs to be put on paper.

We are where we are with a Female Sport that is important to many but common courtesy needs to be retained.

No frustration at all with the Trojans....the team played well and the admirals were off...a few weeks prior it was a different game, end of story. Admiral fans have been known to be loud, so that was not the point of my comments.

Look, I have no dog in this fight. I was at the match, and responded to the comments of a coach or fan who said she wasn't (but oddly had tape of the match) that blamed the loss on the SD fans. That simply wasn't true. I saw nothing out of line. Come to an East Ridge v Boyd B pr a GPS vs Baylor match sometime to see some loud fans.

It bothered me that the loss was blamed on these fans. If that is the case, and the team and coach are that fragile, how are they ever going to win a tournament game?

Also, my comments about "weak" and "slow" was not meant to be critical against the girls. I read these threads, and Farragut fans/players/or coaches get on here and really play up how well you are doing. I simply expected more. The offense is really slow compared to what we see in Chatt. Also, the lack of blocking will keep you from being competitive in the tournaments. I loved your OH and setter, but then Admiral Glascow gets on here and criticizes the setter for not spreading the sets around. My response, in defense of her, was she did what she should be doing and that is getting the ball to the best hitter? Thats volleyball.

SD does it? GPS does it? You only have one power hitter, and she is really strong, why shouldn't she get the most sets? Thats how you win.

SD's fans did not cost you this match, nor were they inappropriate.

I agree! Soddy has fantastic fans.

I reread this thread and am hot that some of the posts have been delated. I did not start this. I am not from SD but thought it was low class to blame this loss on the fans. Then this Admiral Glascow talks about reviewing tape? Is this guy, or gal, for real? Has to be the coach. AG then blamed the setter, who I really liked.

I am done on this subject. Just a note that I still defend the SD fans, and the setter. Maybe the reason your daughter isn't getting the sets is because she can't do anything with them?

The setter was not why they lost. They lost because SD is simply a better team.

Just a question, is Farragut a school with a lot of rich kids? If so, that explains alot!

I agree! Soddy has fantastic fans.

I reread this thread and am hot that some of the posts have been delated. I did not start this. I am not from SD but thought it was low class to blame this loss on the fans. Then this Admiral Glascow talks about reviewing tape? Is this guy, or gal, for real? Has to be the coach. AG then blamed the setter, who I really liked.

I am done on this subject. Just a note that I still defend the SD fans, and the setter. Maybe the reason your daughter isn't getting the sets is because she can't do anything with them?

The setter was not why they lost. They lost because SD is simply a better team.

Just a question, is Farragut a school with a lot of rich kids? If so, that explains alot!

Sorry about the deletes, thats not me. Evidently something was said that was not allowed so someone with the authority to do so deleted it but if it was deleted and the post was against the rules, I likely would have done the same thing. Hope you understand. Personal things involving coaches and players not of a positive nature are usually not left on the site.

Hey EASTRIDGER!

No one is blaming the loss on the fans. Both myself and loyaladmiral both noted that the Farragut team knew they had not played their best and they learned a valuable lesson about keeping up the intensity in tournament play. The only comments made about the fans were directed towards the unsportsmanlike conduct of the SD parents, and I won't back off of that. For the record I have no problem with noise-making in the stands. As a former athelete I know what its like to hear the crowd going crazy and get that chill down your spine telling you its "game time", and I wish there were more of these atmospheres in district play.

And why does having access to a tape make you think I'm a coach? Alot of people film the matches. I can assure you I am not a coach. If I were my team would have beat the brakes of off Soddy Daisy.

Hey EASTRIDGER!

No one is blaming the loss on the fans. Both myself and loyaladmiral both noted that the Farragut team knew they had not played their best and they learned a valuable lesson about keeping up the intensity in tournament play. The only comments made about the fans were directed towards the unsportsmanlike conduct of the SD parents, and I won't back off of that. For the record I have no problem with noise-making in the stands. As a former athelete I know what its like to hear the crowd going crazy and get that chill down your spine telling you its "game time", and I wish there were more of these atmospheres in district play.

And why does having access to a tape make you think I'm a coach? Alot of people film the matches. I can assure you I am not a coach. If I were my team would have beat the brakes of off Soddy Daisy.

Since i have looked thru the District records and seem to be getting a number of answers, what is Farraguts current district record, not overall, but District.

Hey EASTRIDGER!

No one is blaming the loss on the fans. Both myself and loyaladmiral both noted that the Farragut team knew they had not played their best and they learned a valuable lesson about keeping up the intensity in tournament play. The only comments made about the fans were directed towards the unsportsmanlike conduct of the SD parents, and I won't back off of that. For the record I have no problem with noise-making in the stands. As a former athlete I know what its like to hear the crowd going crazy and get that chill down your spine telling you its "game time", and I wish there were more of these atmospheres in district play.

And why does having access to a tape make you think I'm a coach? A lot of people film the matches. I can assure you I am not a coach. If I were my team would have beat the brakes of off Soddy Daisy.

The more I think about the remarks made about the Soddy Daisy parents, the more rediculous they sound. I was sitting in the third row behind the service line

and I heard nothing from the Soddy Daisy parents or the Soddy Daisy fans, other than cheering for their team. I did hear a few Farragut fans chanting "Farragut, Farragut, Farragut" when the Soddy Daisy servers were serving. I had no problem with the Farragut fans chanting and the Soddy Daisy players had to problem with it. I would like to think, the Soddy servers, concentrated harder. I know the Soddy team didn't miss many serves.

The remark made about a Soddy Daisy parent kicking a ball at a Farragut player and calling her a name was totally "bull."

Volleyball is a high school sport and like most sporting events, there will be noise. Hopefully the athletes will learn to handle the crowd noise. If the players

can't handle noise from the stands, they are going to really struggle when raising children.

My last issue; The statement about beating the brakes off Soddy. Give me a break! This has got to be another "ex-could have been" spouting off.

I've seen Farragut, Anderson, Soddy Daisy, GPS, Blackman, Riverdale, Baylor, Ooltewah, Walker Valley, Brentwood, and Seigle. On any given night, any

of these teams could win over the other.

Volleyball has come a long way in Tennessee. I wish the fans could catch up.

Announcements