Alcoa vs. Kingston

alcoadaddy

You very well may be right, but there are a number of factors in the mix. 1st, there has been a growing trend of teams going to a more open offense and less traditional groud / pound offense. If that trend continues, there will be a larger and larger chance that one of the more open offenses will be in the hunt for multiple state championships. We both agree that a strong defense is a must to win championships, but history has shown that it doesn't necessarily have to be a dominant defense. The key offensively is putting points on the board, and having some strategy to run clock when playing with a lead. You could make the opposite point about a ground and pound offense, that they have to have a strategy to deal with playing from behind!

Things change in football at all levels, Pro, college, and HS. The NFL is far more pass oriented than years ago. Not many college teams running the veer, and not nearly as many HS teams running the wing T. It is a mistake to assume that what has happened over the past 25 years in HS football is what is bound to happen in the future.

Most of the nation's top high school teams throw the rock. If you have real athletes you put them outside and give them a chance to go get it. I cant remember the last stud wideout in east tennessee. If there was one they probably converted him to QB or running back.

Yes I do agree everyone should have the right to voice their opinions but there is a time and a place. No I dont like the fact that anyone would yell at a coach or a player on or off the field. I have heard of the rumored "comment" that was made and heard of the rumored result for that person making the comment. Its none of my business though and I dont care. Coaches will handle themselves and the team the way they feel appropriate and the fans should do the same as well.

Again, i dont believe me not liking the play calling is "questioning" the Coach. Just because I was raised and enjoy a more pro style/west coast offense compared to the run first types doesnt mean I dont like Rankin or what he's done. As for that, as F5 said, Im moving on to another topic. I hope we get much needed rest and get healthier as we get into the stretch run for the playoffs.

Hey goddard, I played ball with an alcoa back up Qb a while back. I was amazed with how easily he was cramming a bball. Why not throw it up and give him a chance to go get it a few times? Seems like the rest of the wideouts have problems catching the rock.

Most of the nation's top high school teams throw the rock. If you have real athletes you put them outside and give them a chance to go get it. I cant remember the last stud wideout in east tennessee. If there was one they probably converted him to QB or running back.

Randall Cobb? How would you not be able to remember that guy? He was a QB but you said you "can't remember" which means period.

Steven Isom and Kyrus Lanxter were "stud wideouts" as well.

Randall Cobb? How would you not be able to remember that guy? He was a QB but you said you "can't remember" which means period.

Steven Isom and Kyrus Lanxter were "stud wideouts" as well.

My point exactly. Great wideout converted to Qb. Isom plays college ball at a option school. Lanxter was a solid wideout, but not a stud athlete. Maples is the closest to a stud athlete and he could not cut it D1A. Thanks tho.

Edited by mactruck61

My point exactly. Great wideout converted to Qb. Isom plays college ball at a option school. Lanxter was a solid wideout, but not a stud athlete. Maples is the closest to a stud athlete and he could not cut it D1A. Thanks tho.

[/

Although Randall was Mr. Everything at Kentucky, his main role was at the receiver position. Not to bash Maples, but he was nowhere even close to the level of Randall Cobb at any position....

Edited by F5seekshelter

Again, my point was stud athlete receivers of high schools in east tenn. They are converted to Qb or Rb..

I could be wrong, but I don't think Randall was converted to QB at Alcoa. Sure, he could have played the receiver position. However, I'm glad he stuck with the QB position. I think by doing so it made home a better all around athlete. There isn't a skill position that I wouldn't trust him to fill..

Billy Williams was a stud wideout. There are several more, but he is the first to come to mind. That 1989 Alcoa team was loaded!!!!!

Edited by F5seekshelter

Hey goddard, I played ball with an alcoa back up Qb a while back. I was amazed with how easily he was cramming a bball. Why not throw it up and give him a chance to go get it a few times? Seems like the rest of the wideouts have problems catching the rock.

Not sure who said person was but he might not be able to catch LOL...Seems like there's a lot of that in people now days. Ive actually got great hands but I couldnt jump 5 inches off the ground and you'd have to time my 40 with a Calendar. At the same time I know people that run 4.5-4.6 (ish) and couldnt catch a cold naked in Alaska! :roflol:

Again, my point was stud athlete receivers of high schools in east tenn. They are converted to Qb or Rb..

Hey Mac, have you seen #25 and #16 for CAK? Both are studs and both are being recruited by D1's. Good size, good to great speed, good hands, and great with the ball after the catch. I'm not trying to compare them to anyone, just saying they are as good as any true receivers playing that position in high school that I have seen in a very long time. And they get lots of practice catching the ball at CAK. #25 (Josh Smith) is ranked #3 in the NATION in all classifications in receiving right now by unapproved website.

Edited by FootballDad

Hey Mac, have you seen #25 and #16 for CAK? Both are studs and both are being recruited by D1's. Good size, good to great speed, good hands, and great with the ball after the catch. I'm not trying to compare them to anyone, just saying they are as good as any true receivers playing that position in high school that I have seen in a very long time. And they get lots of practice catching the ball at CAK. #25 (Josh Smith) is ranked #3 in the NATION in all classifications in receiving right now by unapproved website.

Yep, #25 Smith is the best WR I've seen in a while!