New or old Playoff System?

FridayMainEvent

Old system vs. New playoff system.   

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer current system with District 1st and 2nd/wildcards or the old four top teams in the region advance system?

• Orginal region alignment playoff format
    • New District Champ/ wild card system?

Three years ago, the TSSAA pulled a fast one on us claiming new system would reduce travel....As many can attest, that was horse hockey. We used to have a real good idea who our opponents would be through to the championship game by week 5. Now, who knows. We used to never be able to see a region 1 and 2 place team match up until quarter-final. Now it could happen in first round. Anybody truly like the current system?

Edited by FreeAgent11

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Going from five regular season classes to three did reduce travel. In this area teams like Ooltewah played teams like Oak Ridge, and Grundy traveled to Madisonville. There will always be playoff travel.

I still wish they would take a good look at 4 classes for football, basketball, baseball and softball, and not necessarily have the same groupings in each. As it is now some teams have fewer in their districts because of no football, and it also reduces the number of football playing schools in Class A (1A and 2A playoffs).

Going from five regular season classes to three did reduce travel. In this area teams like Ooltewah played teams like Oak Ridge, and Grundy traveled to Madisonville. There will always be playoff travel.

I still wish they would take a good look at 4 classes for football, basketball, baseball and softball, and not necessarily have the same groupings in each. As it is now some teams have fewer in their districts because of no football, and it also reduces the number of football playing schools in Class A (1A and 2A playoffs).

For every example you site, large travel examples can be given for the current system. Just two years ago, Cascade and Forrest were thrown in the two quad with the Chatanooga teams. Bottom line is travel wasn't the main reason for changes. Six classifications meant more gate money for the T$$AA. THAT was the reason for the change.

Edited by FreeAgent11

I like the old playoff system the best. I would love to see Gordonsville, TC, Friendship Christian, and South Pitt in the same playoff system. South Pitt and TC have it too easy, they each meet up with 1 maybe 2 good teams in the playoffs and that is it.

yeah sp, and tc have each won what 15 - 20 state titles in a row now

I like the old playoff system the best. I would love to see Gordonsville, TC, Friendship Christian, and South Pitt in the same playoff system. South Pitt and TC have it too easy, they each meet up with 1 maybe 2 good teams in the playoffs and that is it.

I voted neither because I like the A, AA, and AAA system of 93 and earlier best. However, if you can't beat SP or TC, how do you plan on beating them both? :roflol:

Edited by rlh

Not really. For 1 or 2 schools it did but for most it is the same or more. SP lost Copper Hill but have been playing Polk County for example. The are going to play Grace in K-ville instead of the one in Chattanooga.

How about this, for most, maybe all, it reduced travel in region games :roflol: The TSSAA has little influence on anyone playing or not playing local, medium travel, or far off non-region games but the region games seem to be far more reasonable distance. The South Pittsburg/Chattanooga regions probably would have been still combined had Marion and Boyd not moved down from Class AA.

Edited by Indian

I thought this is what they should have done in a similar fashion as the A, AA, AAA system.

I agree, it would put about 75 in each of the four classes if you didn't include non-football schools like Arts and Sciences in the mix. Cutoffs would be about 500, 825, 1250.

Edited by Indian