Class 3A & Class 4A Playoff Projections

howdoitknow

I stand corrected. This link clearly shows the first criteria after finishing 1 or 2 in your district is overall wins, as you pointed out. I forgot that the all knowing TSSAA took out any credit for how you finish in your district and instead give an incentive for schools to schedule the easiest schedule they can. It doesn't make sense to me but that's what we've got to work with.

TSSAA playoff criteria

I can not get that link to take me anywhere.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom of page 3 in the 2011-2012 TSSAA Football HAndbook....

"Priority for seeding once the teams have been placed in their geographic quadrants shall be as follows:

1. Teams finishing 1st in their district will receive priority.

2. Teams finishing 2nd in their district will receive second priority.

3. Teams who do not finish 1st or 2nd in their district and qualify based on their position in the football play-off standings shall receive last priority.

In 3A Quad 2, when all is said and done, it will likely be..

The following is all specualtion, conjecture, having fun with "what ifs"...

1. CAK/Alcoa winner

2. Polk (they should clinch 1st against Sequoyah next week)

3. CAK/Alcoa loser

4. Sweetwater (2nd behind Polk)

If Polk were to run the table, which would include wins over Signal Mt and Sout Pitt, they could take the top seed over Alcoa (8-2 vs 7-3), but not CAK if CAK runs out.

I could see Bledsoe moving east to quad 2 and slipping in to the 3rd or 4th spot as a District #2, if Meigs ends up 5-5 and misses the Wildcard.

Edited by Charlie Murphy

well last year, Martin Westview won their district at a 7-3 record. Milan was in the same district at a 8-2 record and still got a better seeding in the playoffs..district play doesnt even matter

Incorrect...Milan was 9-1 at the end the of regular season last year. And I thought Milan was seeded 2nd but I honestly don't remember 100%.

And GoVolsKnox, I'm not sure if your statement was directed at Milan or in general, but Milan is only playing 3 out of district games this year....and all 3 are huge long running traditional rivalries in west Tennessee and the entire state. Hearing about Milan having an easy schedule is getting to be as annoying as hearing about the open districts at Alcoa! Milan can't help their schedule....with a district as large as they are in, all you play is district games! Luckily they have split it to east and west, so that teams and schools can keep some of their long running rivalries going! And honestly, those 3 games, aside from the Trenton game, have given Milan their best games of the season! (Assuming that the game Friday vs. Huntingdon is going to be a good one....I'm sure I'm not gonna be wrong on that one!) So maybe that's what TSSAA keeps in mind...because they sure aren't letting our district get away with a winning season outside of district play!

Incorrect...Milan was 9-1 at the end the of regular season last year. And I thought Milan was seeded 2nd but I honestly don't remember 100%.

And GoVolsKnox, I'm not sure if your statement was directed at Milan or in general, but Milan is only playing 3 out of district games this year....and all 3 are huge long running traditional rivalries in west Tennessee and the entire state. Hearing about Milan having an easy schedule is getting to be as annoying as hearing about the open districts at Alcoa! Milan can't help their schedule....with a district as large as they are in, all you play is district games! Luckily they have split it to east and west, so that teams and schools can keep some of their long running rivalries going! And honestly, those 3 games, aside from the Trenton game, have given Milan their best games of the season! (Assuming that the game Friday vs. Huntingdon is going to be a good one....I'm sure I'm not gonna be wrong on that one!) So maybe that's what TSSAA keeps in mind...because they sure aren't letting our district get away with a winning season outside of district play!

No, I didn't have a clue about Milan's schedule. My frustration is directed a little closer to home. CAK had to call over 80 teams, many / most of which are in larger classifications to complete a schedule for this 2 year cycle. We still ended up with 2 games that are a 3 + hour drive each way to have 10 games. This is because the current playoff criteria puts such an emphasis on overall wins without much emphasis on quality of opponent. The end result is that it is making scheduling very difficult for teams that are viewed as a really tough opponent. (This is by no means unique to CAK.)

If overall wins are to stay as a primary criteria for seeding in the playoffs but at the same time have a concern for travel, I would like to see some cross region play (adjacent regions) being mandated by the TSSAA for the regular season just as inter district play is mandated. It is getting to be ridiculous for teams like Alcoa, CAK, and others to complete a reasonable schedule.

As for the TSSAA link, here is the corrected version. TSSAA standings with criteria at top of page