Oneida vs. Coalfield

Well a night has passed & while the sting is still there the emotions have been tempered a little. First things first, let me say to both teams I'm proud of the effort. Coalfield, congratulations. Y'all showed up & handled your business, you ran a very effective passing attack that was impressive. Congrats again & best of luck the rest of the way. Oneida, I'm proud of you boys. Played your hearts out but came up short to a quality opponent, no shame in that. All I can ask is this. Ask yourself if you left it all on the field, you know did you give your all for Oneida football? If the answer is yes the congratulations, you did your best & nothing more can or should be asked of anyone. If the answer is no then do some soul searching & prepare this week to give your all this Friday night. There's still football to be played this year, PCC.

You don't pour salt on an open wound, and Coalfield just opened a gasher. I am going out on a limb here and say that might have been the finest line play I have ever seen by a Coalfield Football Team. Not only did the QB NOT get sacked....he vary rarely even got knocked down. The difference in this game boiled down to two things (and yes, I am ignoring the 4 turnovers): Coalfield was dominant at the line of scrimmage and Oneida's pass defense was never on the same page. I asked that question to Smash because it concerned me that a good team might expose us....it is not an overstatement that Coalfield did that. I still say the ingredience are there, but the recipe will have to change quick with Sunbright coming to the reservation.

One more small detail.....if your gonna dance the dance on the yellow jacket, you better back it up! :blush:

Edited by rufusbass

You don't pour salt on an open wound, and Coalfield just opened a gasher. I am going out on a limb here and say that might have been the finest line play I have ever seen by a Coalfield Football Team. Not only did the QB NOT get sacked....he vary rarely even got knocked down. The difference in this game boiled down to two things (and yes, I am ignoring the 4 turnovers): Coalfield was dominant at the line of scrimmage and Oneida's pass defense was never on the same page. I asked that question to Smash because it concerned me that a good team might expose us....it is not an overstatement that Coalfield did that. I still say the ingredience are there, but the recipe will have to change quick with Sunbright coming to the reservation.

One more small detail.....if your gonna dance the dance on the yellow jacket, you better back it up! :blush:

Oneida danced on the Yellow Jacket? And their fans are calling Coalfield players classless...

Maybe danced isn't accurate. They huddled at mid-field. I wouldn't say they danced, so much as assembled. I wouldn't think it was classless....just not lost on the opponent. My post was more to reflect that you have to be ready to play when you go to another teams house. Obviously, we weren't.

You won't find Oneida and classless used in the same context very much. Beat on another horse Shock-O.

<_<

Some of you anti-Coalfield folks are hilarious on here. You can't accept that Oneida got beat fair n square so you blame it in refs...etc. Just man up and admit you got smoked by a far superior team that was better coached, more physical and tougher in every respect. And by the way I wouldn't have mentioned all this if there wasn't so much whining go on.

PS - Oneida did more than dance on the Jacket they spit and stomped at it...so in return Coalfield stomped them.

Kaz thinks PapaJoe is exzggerating a little. I'm not sensing Anti-Coalfield talk at all. They were prepared and handed our boys their hats....I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I left very impressed with that ball team. I hope they do well the rest of the way....my guess is they will surprise someone that takes them lightly in the play-offs. Under the right cercumstances they could go very deep. Remember Keith Henry has coached in a State Championship Game, so he knows what it feels like, and I bet he'd like that feeling again. Time will tell.....they will have to catch some breaks.....it's not easy.

:thumb: Kazanity :thumb:

Kaz thinks PapaJoe is exzggerating a little. I'm not sensing Anti-Coalfield talk at all. They were prepared and handed our boys their hats....I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I left very impressed with that ball team. I hope they do well the rest of the way....my guess is they will surprise someone that takes them lightly in the play-offs. Under the right cercumstances they could go very deep. Remember Keith Henry has coached in a State Championship Game, so he knows what it feels like, and I bet he'd like that feeling again. Time will tell.....they will have to catch some breaks.....it's not easy.

:thumb: Kazanity :thumb:

No exaggerations here Kaz - I'm mainly referring to Smash and the others talking about so called "cheap shots" Coalfield "supposedly" dished out and then saying the refs are from Coalfield. It's silly, besides are these guys in the 5th grade? Is that the best explanation they can give for their teams?

What # was the Coalfield kid just woundering if it was one of the kids that took cheap shot's at the Wartburg QB the week before

Easy there Old School-I questioned some of the cheap shots Coalfield threw a few weeks ago and about got run out on a rail :rolleyes: Nah, seriously, Coalfield might have done some late hitting lately, but their also hitting on all cylinders now so I think their getting in playoff form now! By the way, old44, I looked at the box scores in the paper today at Wartburg's win against Jellico last night and I didn't see Laymance's name. Was he held out for injury or what? Did he play?

No exaggerations here Kaz - I'm mainly referring to Smash and the others talking about so called "cheap shots" Coalfield "supposedly" dished out and then saying the refs are from Coalfield. It's silly, besides are these guys in the 5th grade? Is that the best explanation they can give for their teams?

What I am talking about is last year, the CB from Coalfield took a cheapshot on an Oneida Reciever who was defenseless in the air, attempting to make a catch. The illegal hit broke his ribs. He was out for the rest of the year. (15 yard penalty vs 3 games)

NOW, a kid from Coalfield singles out the kicker from Oneida and cheap shot him 40 yards away from the play. The KICKER! Are you kidding? (15 yard penalty)

These are not "supposedly" hits. These were flagged penalties.

Not to mention, two late hits and a horse collar on our QB which were never called? (no penalty)

I am not making any excuses. I was pretty sure Coalfield would win, I though Oneida would score more but that's a credit to Coach Henry. If Oneida did "dance" on Coalfield's field, shame on them. You dont go to someone else field and call them out unless you got some serious guns.

All the refs at all the Oneida games are from Morgan or Roane Co. How is that fair? How would you like to come to Oneida knowing 4 of the Refs on the field played at Oneida?

Either way, I played in diferent time and place. Hits like that demanded a response. Which leads down a very dark path. So, I'm just gonna leave the rest of my comments back in 1988.

Edited by SmashMouth

You know, I could care less who wins or looses! I have seen powerful teams loose and I have seen weak teams rise up and win. The lesson of football are what matter.

Is anyone surprised Coalfield pounded Oneida this year? No! You could see this coming from a mile away. Oliver Springs would have been more sucessful than 7 points with a better passing attack. Sunbright is gonna be another tough matchup for Oneida this year.

What matters is the game is played with a level of honor and integrity. That is unquestionable! I'm not saying be a choir boy. It's only holding if you get caught. But certain penalties, bad choices....all this late hitting, chop blocking, cheap shot hits....that's wrong in any era.

I firmly agree that illegal plays should be flagged. As to what happened last year or in 88 I wasn't there. As to the play in question from last night as it happened I know Coalfield didn't cheer it...I was right in the middle of the crowd from start to finish.

Your comment about about horse collars and late hits should be made for us not Oneida. I clearly saw a horse collar against our RB (not-called) I saw at least 2 hits on our players when they had already stepped out of bounds (not called) & I saw one blatant kick (not called) against our best lineman forcing him out of the next play.

So I guess those home cooking refs did a disservice to Coalfield as well huh? Besides if all these refs were from Roane & Morgan counties(which I'm certain all weren't & none were former students)...why would they help us? We're despised, disrespected and disregarded by most in the football world. From major print media, Knoxville radio & others. But that's OK I think Coalfield is happy to be the underdog.

I totally agree with your statement "What matters is the game is played with a level of honor and integrity. That is unquestionable!" You're absolutely right!

My point is, that we do a disservice to these kids if we imply things like: the opponent always cheats, the refs are paid off...etc. Kids today need to learn the lesson of manning up when beaten and grace if victory comes our way.