The Demise of Grundy County

Truth69

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grundy has its fair share of troubles with football as does alot of programs....to single out a coach,player,school or anything ,is wrong. there are several big things that cant be fixed over night....or may never get fixed. With no middle school and no desire to build one will hold grundy sports back decades behind the rest. With the pee wee leagues playing 7th and 8th graders to win the harvest bowl , will never help the ms program. Coaching, i think there should be some changes, not meaning the entire staff.

How are 8th graders playing on an 11-12 team? Some 7th graders could be young enough but not 8th. Are these coaches supporting the middle school program? If so why have they had 3 coaches in 3 years? The first two did well and then they are gone. Are your coaches going to the little league games and Big 8 games? Are the coaches helping players who want to try to play at the next level? If you want a community to support a coaching staff then that staff needs to support the kids before and after their time in high school.

Community is more than one family.

How are 8th graders playing on an 11-12 team? Some 7th graders could be young enough but not 8th. Are these coaches supporting the middle school program? If so why have they had 3 coaches in 3 years? The first two did well and then they are gone. Are your coaches going to the little league games and Big 8 games? Are the coaches helping players who want to try to play at the next level? If you want a community to support a coaching staff then that staff needs to support the kids before and after their time in high school.

Community is more than one family.

Opie I absolutely agree..there is no reason why 7th and 8th graders should be playing pee wee football or big 8 basketball..if our school board doesn't want to create a middle school that is fine.but put restrictions on what grades can play pee wee football and what grades can play big 8 basketball..they outta make pee wee football and big 8 basketball k-6 and make the 7th and 8th graders be on Jr jacket teams for football basketball and baseball..that's the only way we could ever really be good. Or have our county come out with two high schools..kids from altamont Palmer gruettli an part of coalmont go to north Grundy and have kids from Tracy pelham monteagle and part of coalmont go to south Grundy..we would have to go to 1A ball but who cares north Grundy hates south Grundy and south Grundy hates north Grundy so it wont make a bit of a difference..atleast then the pee wee football and the big 8 basketball. Would finally. Make little bit more sense but id make the 7th and 8th graders be in the high school just like they do at south pitt. Plus it would make for one heck of a rivalry game between north and south bigger then the Jasper game.lol..what does everybody else think of this..

Opie I absolutely agree..there is no reason why 7th and 8th graders should be playing pee wee football or big 8 basketball..if our school board doesn't want to create a middle school that is fine.but put restrictions on what grades can play pee wee football and what grades can play big 8 basketball..they outta make pee wee football and big 8 basketball k-6 and make the 7th and 8th graders be on Jr jacket teams for football basketball and baseball..that's the only way we could ever really be good. Or have our county come out with two high schools..kids from altamont Palmer gruettli an part of coalmont go to north Grundy and have kids from Tracy pelham monteagle and part of coalmont go to south Grundy..we would have to go to 1A ball but who cares north Grundy hates south Grundy and south Grundy hates north Grundy so it wont make a bit of a difference..atleast then the pee wee football and the big 8 basketball. Would finally. Make little bit more sense but id make the 7th and 8th graders be in the high school just like they do at south pitt. Plus it would make for one heck of a rivalry game between north and south bigger then the Jasper game.lol..what does everybody else think of this..

jacket 18,let me correct you if i may, you may be one of the few that is left that is still holding on to a north vs. south attitude. if you are, you have no business saying you are a grundy fan. you are a moron for saying north grundy hates south grundy and south hates north. look at the little bulldogs...half the team is from coalmont,gruetli.but something you and alot of people dont understand,coalmont,gruetli,and palmer are south grundy. dont believe me? put a crosshair in the center of the county..gruetli and palmer are southeast grundy. still dont belive me? ask the southeast grundy county rescue squad.(gruetli-lagger and palmer fire dept. combined}so, part of the problem may not be 7th and 8th graders playing pee wee ball, it just might be closed minded people like you that still live in the 50's and try to keep our county from uniting :thumb:

jacket 18,let me correct you if i may, you may be one of the few that is left that is still holding on to a north vs. south attitude. if you are, you have no business saying you are a grundy fan. you are a moron for saying north grundy hates south grundy and south hates north. look at the little bulldogs...half the team is from coalmont,gruetli.but something you and alot of people dont understand,coalmont,gruetli,and palmer are south grundy. dont believe me? put a crosshair in the center of the county..gruetli and palmer are southeast grundy. still dont belive me? ask the southeast grundy county rescue squad.(gruetli-lagger and palmer fire dept. combined}so, part of the problem may not be 7th and 8th graders playing pee wee ball, it just might be closed minded people like you that still live in the 50's and try to keep our county from uniting :thumb:

I'm only speaking the truth busgus..maybe you don't see it and I know where Palmer and gruetli are located..but that is considered the north end of the county..and yes parents from gruetli an coalmont and God knows where else from in the county bring there kids over to play for south Grundy..I know that I just said a simple solution to fix a long time problem that will and has set our sports back away from being as good as neighboring counties..Grundy has an opportunity to be fabulous at sports the talent is there..but if we don't have a middle school that has 7th and 8th grade kids playing for a Jr high or playing on a Jr jacket team that has coaches that are commited and are going to stay longer then 1 year then don't expect better then a team to finish. 500 or better..I'm not ok with being mediocre nor have I ever been..maybe ur the one that needs to open up an stop being one side minded..I was in high school few years back and I know the hatred I played football I know north hates south and south hates north..you can't say they don't because you see it in big 8 all the time..we need a middle school or just make two high schools they have talked bout doing it before an I wouldnt mind of they did..and there is a problem with 7th and 8th graders playing football for pee wee..of course we are always going to look good when we have kids that are twice as big as our oppenents..then people wonder why workin struggle at the high school level..when they do reach the high school level they are technically a year behind if not two years behind from all other local high schools..take south Pitt for example both 7th and 8th grade kids go to the high school and they all play at a middle school level..that means they have been together as a team for two years before they even start on high school ball..which means when they graduate high school they've played together for 6 years.. where as ours we are lucky for 4 years..call me a moron sure I don't care..but your the one lookin like moron buddy..I've not held no grudges against north or south I'm just ready to see a state championship team come through the county like there could be..I want to see a change..I didn't say the big 8 had to go just have it to where only 6th and below can play it..

Before you say anything about me being from Sequatchie County, let me say.....I went to school At Grundy County High school Class of 89'. Gus if you don't think there is a line planted right down the middle between North and south, then I am not sure you know what you're talking about.....maybe it is not as dangerous as it once was but there is still a somewhat friendly rivalry there.........jacket 18 you in my opinion are dead on, if those kids don't get together before high school there will NEVER be any consistent teams coming from GCHS...... most freshmen are just learning the ropes, some play but not many, if you are lucky those boys get three good years to play together...... My boys all played or play for SCHS now, my oldest played with some of his teammates 6+ years not only do they know eacher on the field, they have a bond. You need all these factors put together to be consistently good (that is). These kids go from rivals to the same team overnight(some with no experience on the football field). So don't throw the word moron around too loosely, you may not agree with everything jacket18 says, but don't insult him because then you are just one of those "closed minded people".

A middle school would help part of the problem but you have to convince people of academic benefits not just athletic benefits. Academically a middle school would provide more opportunities for all students. The North vs. South debate will continue to no one’s benefit. Does it help matters that most of the coaches are from the south end and that one family controls football and boys basketball? Can two high schools compete against SP or Jasper? One high school struggles to compete.

What is more detrimental North vs. South or Nepotism? Or is this the same thing in this case?

A middle school would help part of the problem but you have to convince people of academic benefits not just athletic benefits. Academically a middle school would provide more opportunities for all students. The North vs. South debate will continue to no one’s benefit. Does it help matters that most of the coaches are from the south end and that one family controls football and boys basketball? Can two high schools compete against SP or Jasper? One high school struggles to compete.

What is more detrimental North vs. South or Nepotism? Or is this the same thing in this case?

grundy politics

Two high schools with both having a 7th and 8th grade attached would be the best for Grundy not only for sports but for academics as well..would mean instead of having 30+ Kids to a class you would have about 15 or so..which would mean a lot better teacher to student ratio and the kids would be able to get better attention from their teachers..sports wise yea we might struggle for the first two or three years but every program struggles right off the back starting aknew unless your signal mountain..but after two or three years both programs could be very successful in all sports..and it would make for a very good rivalry game between the north and south..but like I said before we would need a new school board and have people who can convince the county its what's best for em..I would prefer to see a middle school built instead but the other part of me would like to see two high schools instead..either way there needs to be a change in something before we are set further back then what we are..Grundy has the talent and the potential to make it big one day just takes commitment from all sides besides the coaches and players the whole county has to want to make the change