Other rules questions

mwtfan

You make some very good points and I agree with most. Economics have gotten in the way of doing it the proper way. We can discuss the reasons for that. Time spent in the Boro and cutting fans costs is another.

Right now we are getting closer to finding a way to take care of what you are describing, if the Regionals were handled the way they were in the District I am in and certainly the way the times changed, it may not have been.

We could have used full court for 3 matches and a finals that took 5 hours to play 11 games or we had room to run the courts side by side and take about 4 hours or less to play. Under the first senario due to scheduling, the school traveling brought a very small crowd for a first match which started at 4:00. the other school ws the host but its crowd and opportunity to see the match was down some also. The 5:30 match schools got there jsut barely before play time but the 7:00 match was all right.

You, I can tell, are a purist. And I would say the tradeoff might be the players would rather have the crowd in that senario than to take longer to play. Smaller space is all right up until a point. Many large schools can cut down the seating and get a nice size area and get the patrons in and out. The other thing is this. Players today are used to playing in smaller venues with all of the Club playing going on. A big school gym is larger than that and played 4 months likely after club season is over. Third, quad matches are being played regularly now with 2 sid by sides for economic reasons as the fans seem to think their time is valuable and may not come.

My comments only try to explain why this happened not to condone it but I am a time freak and the last senario fits my schedule better. I have not seen anyone hurt in a side by side. I have seen sprained ankles, cut eyes, broken ankles, which I cant say have to do with a small gym. Of course I may see the first one Wednesday.

Now my first point, the regional setup was not bad, everything at one day. One match at a time. I believe some changed their times and had side by side 2 matches at the same time and the finals, full court. The region wanted to do it that way, They had to drive and had to go to work the next day.

Now back to the State, you may have a good idea but you may not have the votes. This post was too long. This discussion on this matter has been going on for 7 years that i know and someone is just finishing reading this and fixing to say, "It needs to be done on the weekend. It will get more patrons." Your turn to answer that one. I've been there before.

I understand your time/money arguments, and those are well received. In District 2 (8 teams), all matches were played full court. First round was single elimination and matches were played at 2 locations, after that, the 4 remaining teams played double elimination. Took 5 days, with 2 matches per night except for the last night which was the "if" match. I agree that this was a lot of time, travel and of course, expense. However, once you get to Regional play, especially with the "One Night" format, I don't see any reason all matches couldn't be played full court. For sectional matches, your talking 2 teams for one match. Come on! You've proven you are one of the top 16 teams in the state (theoretically of course) and you can't play an unrestricted full court match for your chance to make state? Seems to me that this could easily be mandated by TSSAA. Heck, in years gone by, I've seen schools forced by TSSAA to 'host' sectional basketball games in a neighboring county because the seating capacity of its own gym didn't meet seating capacity requirements for Sectional games. The athletes deserve it.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand your time/money arguments, and those are well received. In District 2 (8 teams), all matches were played full court. First round was single elimination and matches were played at 2 locations, after that, the 4 remaining teams played double elimination. Took 5 days, with 2 matches per night except for the last night which was the "if" match. I agree that this was a lot of time, travel and of course, expense. However, once you get to Regional play, especially with the "One Night" format, I don't see any reason all matches couldn't be played full court. For sectional matches, your talking 2 teams for one match. Come on! You've proven you are one of the top 16 teams in the state (theoretically of course) and you can't play an unrestricted full court match for your chance to make state? Seems to me that this could easily be mandated by TSSAA. Heck, in years gone by, I've seen schools forced by TSSAA to 'host' sectional basketball games in a neighboring county because the seating capacity of its own gym didn't meet seating capacity requirements for Sectional games. The athletes deserve it.

Good post

Announcements

• Recent Posts

• Player of the Year is selected from the state championship team. Mr. Baseball is selected from all teams. 
    • Coach you have a nice prize to wear!         https://fb.watch/sawAhYWhgj/   https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=79!  24011444328424&set=p.7924011444328424&type=3&av=100001589421439&eav=AfadioohtnZNQy-vVnXq06az2GqJPZy3Y9joqOBQqRFGvkVtD2OI7pZhcBy6ixvhG0w&__cft__[0]=AZVNVV5aVzYZ_AMN0gXeHg_JX-gQ7BCacySYGzQG6E7y92gjlBNFlwTT7g_zHH4dbQb9gsKNs5PWEMVTtmCD5FSopv-E7B4CB6qqQFHNCpNZI7JhMJFoJobnRhip-goK8lAHPw2sCJowK0o7uUpF1CEllHEmS5PaKfIrJf4vCXiBCdfUS0OMqZf7zpWsQjCfOGM0QjysLp8ynDd7-dpedtiC6KPF37hKkRM9iG4DrSpvxQ&__tn__=R]-R
    • The people need our help!
    • Lol when was last time they won region or got past the 3 rd round. 
    • Gravedigger gotta finish filling the hole before hitting 40 East. May need a new Yellow Shirt play signaler on the Stones. And apparently a new strength coach now. Cicadas must've got shaken out of the bushes in Donelson. Hopefully the mower man sticks around to keep DG field looking pristine. Maybe new OC can call in a favor to his PGA friends that knows a thing or two about being green during the season. The heat is on soon. Bring in the 2 way freak Iceman and cool things off. He knows a thing or 2 about wildcats. Gotta take our talents South soon for Nationals. Don't step on my blue suede shoes.