MLK V.S. HUME-FOGG( Can they both make state?)

hoops317

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This district will be very competitive from top to bottom. I agree Hume Fogg and MLK have very good teams. MLK may be young, but they are talented in every position and well coached. David Lipscomb will be the team to beat...again this year. Portland does have Brewer and Ferguson, but their guard play will be a question. Springfield, a team which nobody has even mentioned, returns all 5 starters. They are very athletic and quick. If Springfield can play as "a team" they can beat any team in this district. East Lit and Greenbrier should be much improved with some young talent. Both MLK and Greenbrier could start as many as 4 to 5 Sophomore's. Macon County lost their two top players, but always play hard and love their basketball. They always play well at home.

Before you start talking about going to the State....you may want to worry about winning the District....one which I think is the one of the toughest in the state in AA. The Region will also be tough. The live, eat, and breathe basketball in District 7-AA.

Practice officially starts a week from Monday. I wish all these teams and their coaches the best of luck. It should be an exciting and competitive year.......from top to bottom! :o

I think the reason no one mentioned Springfield was because they dont play as a team and its hard to believe that they will. They have some of the best athletes in the state of TN and quickness out of this world..Coaching isnt bad either but as far as getting them to play together thats a whole new story.

Good point, Its gonna be hard for all of these teams to go to state for the simple fact of they're all in the same district..Good luck to all of those teams.

TNBall.....Since your from the Clarksville area, maybe you can help me out. We open up with Central this year. I know they lost some key players, but return Burney. Who else do they have and what kind of team are they expecting this year? They beat us (varsity) twice last year, but we were not very good. We did beat them in the JV game with our Freshman last year, but I didn't know what they had as far as upperclassmen returning. We will be very young, (mostly Sophomores) but should be better than the last few years.

We also play Northeast....What can you tell me about them as well?

Thanks

Are you at Kenwood or Rossview? We should schedule a scrimmage in the future.

Hey Coach.I'm actually at Rossview. In any case starting with Mont.Central:

They returned one other starter along with Burney but I cant recall his name. He was one of their set shooters from last years bunch, this year he seems to be able to put it on the floor and pull up or drive. I would say that Central will be down alot. trust me when I say that If you stop Burney then you have them beat. Actually I think that Burney could get his and they still could get beat very handily..When they lost those three seniors (Young,Lehman, and one more other senior).

They will be smarter on thier presses and the offense wont change much other than Burney going with alot of Penetration and dishing/scoring. I would take the ball out of his hands and see how good they are. I'm not sure right now how good they're role players are.

Clarksville Northeast are full of athletes again. but not like last years bunch, they lost a lot as well. They return 6'2 forward Calvin Carter who either led them in scoring or was second. They'll Run and Jump you to death on Defense. Very solid on the half court defense. They're offense is center around the post player (6'5 sophmore Thomas Pfaff). They have two or three legit 6'4s in the post area but the post is young. They should have good guard play in Graylin Tuck and Drake Reed. Be really smart on offense and dont get back doored on D. Last year they ran a lil 1-3-1 but Al Cooper is really stubborn and loves TOUGH MAN defense with lots of denial.

Hope this helps, you are always welcome to call the office at Rossview and get more personally if you need to. We play Mont. Central once and of course East is in our district. Thanks TNBBALL!!

Posted by TnBball:

Yea, well I knew who Corey Brewer was..but someone posted that he was no longer apart of the team..so thats why I posted a question asking where he went..meaning where did he go, how come he got kicked off? Thanks for the response though

I'm not sure what you mean. How come who got kicked off?

Posted by Thunder21:

I thought the thread was about MLK Vs. Hume-Fogg.

I agree that MLK will EVENTUALLY make it, but this year its more likely that Hume-Fogg will go further. They have leadership within the team, behind Senior guard Brandon Harriford and that team is a big time threat. They were only two games away last year. In response to the earlier comments, I agree that Lipscomb should be in the argument, but neither East nor Portland. Hume-Fogg only beat East by 30+ points twice last year and they lost their best player Chase Watson. Likewise Portland lost their best player Corey Brewer I hear. So just like last year I think it will be a 3 way struggle between Hume-Fogg, Lipscomb, and MLK, in that order.

Read this post and you'll see what I'm talkin about.

Thanks Coach. That is what I pretty much expected. I know Coach Young likes to press a little and run some 1-3-1. I know Coach Cooper will have his team ready no matter what he has. They are coming to our place for a game, then we play them, along with Dickson County in a Christmas classic. That will be some good competition for us. Like I said we will be young, but have some better athlete's than we have had in a while at GBHS. This group of Sophomore's is a special group. Our upcoming Freshman are also a good group. Hopefully we can be competitive in the next couple of years.

Again, thanks for your help and I wish you and your team the best of luck this year. :)

Dickson Co will be a very good team as well. They return two starters from last years team..Very methodical and Patient on offense but will press you on defense to get you to turn the ball over..Its funny they spread it out and run lots of high screens on offense and then on defense, trap and press to only slow it down on "O"..Hopes this helps as well. Good luck to you Guys!!

Posted by TnBball:
Posted by Thunder21:

I thought the thread was about MLK Vs. Hume-Fogg.

I agree that MLK will EVENTUALLY make it, but this year its more likely that Hume-Fogg will go further. They have leadership within the team, behind Senior guard Brandon Harriford and that team is a big time threat. They were only two games away last year. In response to the earlier comments, I agree that Lipscomb should be in the argument, but neither East nor Portland. Hume-Fogg only beat East by 30+ points twice last year and they lost their best player Chase Watson. Likewise Portland lost their best player Corey Brewer I hear. So just like last year I think it will be a 3 way struggle between Hume-Fogg, Lipscomb, and MLK, in that order.

Read this post and you'll see what I'm talkin about.

I read the post but it says nothing about getting kicked off. Anyway it sounds like a bunch of he said she said stuff. Cory is at Portland and glad to be there and Portland is glad to have him.