Karns @ Science Hill

voltnh

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a judgment call on S-Hill's part! Two of the reasons why Science Hill didn't go with Mike Turner. #1 - He had an opportunity to head coach at S-Hill and jumped ship after 2 years. And more important #2 - Age! - - - Mike Turner is only looking at a few more years of coaching left. And S-Hill is hoping to have a good coach for many years.

I am sure some of you will argue - I would rather have 5 years of Mike Turner than 15 to 20 years of Stacy Carter. There again - its a judgment call.

Its easy to be an arm-chair athletic director and or an arm-chair coach.

Actually it is easy. Compair Turner to Carter. Its a no-brainer. And your argument against Turner holds no water. Your athletic director should be replaced. We have a real good one at DB you can have.:)

PowrPlus, Joe Paterno called me this morning and said Turner might have more than a few years of coaching left.

Actually it is easy. Compair Turner to Carter. Its a no-brainer. And your argument against Turner holds no water. Your athletic director should be replaced. We have a real good one at DB you can have.:)

I'm on the outside looking in. How is it a no-brainer? Is it a good thing that somebody comes in and leaves after two years, regardless of how good of a coach? How many Paterno's or Bowden's are there in the world?

I personally think part of the problem is the kids and the mentality they have been brought up believing in the Johnson City system. I agree with Tornado89, that the current crop needs to move out before we can judge things fairly. Here's an example of what I mean, in a made up senerio... If DB were to go down by 21 points, would their kids hang their heads, give up, and start fighting amoungst themselves? When Sullivan South kids got down at least three times in the past few years 21 points, dis they quit? No and No. South won three games (under Carter and Haney) when they got down 21 points that I remember. The DB kids are brought through their system, especially 9th grade and JV in a manner to where they keep fighting and they believe. Same thing for the South kids. Heck, the South kids pretty much win all their games from Optimist age, through Colonial Heights Middle, into high school. Sure, I know South is in a talent dip at the varsity level right now, but you see my point. I guarantee you Carter walked into a situation where many of the kids (and the assistant coaches) were used to being lazy and not believing. Heck, the pure athletic ability of the kids at SHHS should win them 6 games a year alone, but when faced with adversity they cant cope with it yet. I guarentee you they werent ready for the Ranger style practices and no quit attitude. I truly believe if they kids coming up the system right now catch hold of the right attitude, the fire and believe, with the athletic ability that is in the SHHS system, they should be what we all would like to see them be.

I'm on the outside looking in. How is it a no-brainer? Is it a good thing that somebody comes in and leaves after two years, regardless of how good of a coach? How many Paterno's or Bowden's are there in the world?

Just go to cneagles.com and read. Its a no-brainer. You all act like Turner is ready to kick the bucket or something. He's not a old geaser.

I believe Carter is facing the same problems (lack of discipline, etc.) that Pitts faced when he took over the basketball program. If you want a formula for success, just look at how Pitts did it. It was painful for a while (had to find the kids that were commited to his system and way of doing things) but then paid off big in results.

I personally think part of the problem is the kids and the mentality they have been brought up believing in the Johnson City system. I agree with Tornado89, that the current crop needs to move out before we can judge things fairly. Here's an example of what I mean, in a made up senerio... If DB were to go down by 21 points, would their kids hang their heads, give up, and start fighting amoungst themselves? When Sullivan South kids got down at least three times in the past few years 21 points, dis they quit? No and No. South won three games (under Carter and Haney) when they got down 21 points that I remember. The DB kids are brought through their system, especially 9th grade and JV in a manner to where they keep fighting and they believe. Same thing for the South kids. Heck, the South kids pretty much win all their games from Optimist age, through Colonial Heights Middle, into high school. Sure, I know South is in a talent dip at the varsity level right now, but you see my point. I guarantee you Carter walked into a situation where many of the kids (and the assistant coaches) were used to being lazy and not believing. Heck, the pure athletic ability of the kids at SHHS should win them 6 games a year alone, but when faced with adversity they cant cope with it yet. I guarentee you they werent ready for the Ranger style practices and no quit attitude. I truly believe if they kids coming up the system right now catch hold of the right attitude, the fire and believe, with the athletic ability that is in the SHHS system, they should be what we all would like to see them be.

Just to clear this out, the little scuffle on the sidelines got #37 kicked off the team. He had been In 3 fights throughout the season. Over and over he was punished very hard. But there's no excuses for fighting at the biggest game of the year or fighting at all for that matter.. The reason for the fight was that #33 Jahmar Adams, our running back was trying to pump everyone up. Jahmar hit #37's helmet as hard as he could, not intentionally trying to get him to fight, but to pump him up. However, it looked like it hurt. That set the fight off.

Just to clear this out, the little scuffle on the sidelines got #37 kicked off the team. He had been In 3 fights throughout the season. Over and over he was punished very hard. But there's no excuses for fighting at the biggest game of the year or fighting at all for that matter.. The reason for the fight was that #33 Jahmar Adams, our running back was trying to pump everyone up. Jahmar hit #37's helmet as hard as he could, not intentionally trying to get him to fight, but to pump him up. However, it looked like it hurt. That set the fight off.

Ok I'll give you that one. Clear this one out then.. how bout the cheap shots the kid took after the extra point,it was so late the ball had already hit the ground when he did it, and 24 runnin that mouth before during and after the game, then cheap shottin our d-back in the chops when the play hadnt even started?.I mean the kid took a run at our player for 10 yards and hit him right in ft of the ref. and ran his mouth to the coaches and refs walking off the field.. was any punishment handed out then?..I doubt it, and it will happen again, i promise.No disipline at all.

Well I'm hoping all you Science Hill guys will be so busy analyzing your situation that Karns will sneak into town, win a big one, and head on back to K-Town. But I can certainly relate to your comments about discipline, motivation, and a refuse-to-quit attitude. Last week against the evil Hardin Valley was shameful and the Oak Ridge game was equally a joke. But if Karns gets up early and their mojo starts cooking they can be tough to handle, especially on defense. If I come 100 miles for the game I'm looking for a good one with a good outcome. Karns 21-14.