Knox Catholic, where do we go

footballsense

I'm not sure where you get your enrollment figures, but Farragut's enrollment for the 2009-2010 school year was 1784. Similar numbers were expected this year. Due to rezoning, for the purpose of populating Hardin Valley, Farragut's enrollment has not been aboove 2,000 since 2007.

Guys this topic has gotten off track some what, my question was where do we go from here and all the replies are great to discuss that we are playing in a league for big boys and our coaches and admin think we should play with the smaller schools good point but not the over whelming fact of the direction of this program has to do with WHO we play but rather how we are coached to play them, in my eyes the facts are still the same, we have had the most D1 players in Knox county the past few years, we did win state playing in a lower division, we did run off a very good football coach and we did hire a man that has taken our program that families in the community wanted their kids to be in to one that has a seen numbers drop, and as far as the has about 8 kids that will never attend KCHS and are by far the best players on the team, lets keep discussing the size of schools, the teams we play, the future players and all those things and give the admin and head coach a pass on the disstruction of a once proud program.

For the record, Catholic doesn't sign 3 year contracts. Every teacher and coach is retained on a yearly contract. Program has taken a downturn but that happens most places after winning a state title unless you happen to be Maryville or Alcoa. I thought last year we underachieved given the talent we had but we tried to run schemes that weren't really suited to our players. Given the line we had, we should have put much more emphasis on running the ball. Losing Wharton was a huge blow and he could have accounted for a few more wins this year. We are loaded with young kids that played big roles. I know the 7th or 8th grade youth team just won the city championship. People forget this is a high school program. I understand wanting to fill your own staff but keep in mind there needs to be TEACHING positions available for those staff members. Pemberton did an excellent job coaching the football team and had a great system in place that was also used in the youth leagues.

Meadows had three years to implement an effective system,and the talent required to do so. If you can't coach pass protection, route running, and QB play in that period of time, with that talent; something is wrong. Other coaches have had far greater success with far less talent. You should know. You had one who did it right there. You lost Wharton because his dad was run off, and he had a teaching "position."

Your young talent is average as compared to other young talent in the area. They are more experienced now, but that doesn't make for better players...see UT's OL. Your 8th grade team went 3-5, and was well off the pace of Harding Valley, CBFO, and West with whom you'll compete with for talent. Your Jr. Midget & Pee Wee teams were very good, but it is unlikely the talent on those teams will stick through 8th grade and beyond. Hardin Valley, West, Farragut, and Bearden (for the time being) all provide a better opportunity for playing on a successful program. That's just the public schools. Webb and CAK have better feeder programs, and obviously better high school programs. Grace has a better high school program, and is well on the way to having a very good feeder program. The fact of the matter is that the administration does not want to have the school perceived as a "football factory." That is fine. They should just be honest about so that the expectations of families and kids are in alignment with the goals of the school.

Meadows had three years to implement an effective system,and the talent required to do so. If you can't coach pass protection, route running, and QB play in that period of time, with that talent; something is wrong. Other coaches have had far greater success with far less talent. You should know. You had one who did it right there. You lost Wharton because his dad was run off, and he had a teaching "position."

Your young talent is average as compared to other young talent in the area. They are more experienced now, but that doesn't make for better players...see UT's OL. Your 8th grade team went 3-5, and was well off the pace of Harding Valley, CBFO, and West with whom you'll compete with for talent. Your Jr. Midget & Pee Wee teams were very good, but it is unlikely the talent on those teams will stick through 8th grade and beyond. Hardin Valley, West, Farragut, and Bearden (for the time being) all provide a better opportunity for playing on a successful program. That's just the public schools. Webb and CAK have better feeder programs, and obviously better high school programs. Grace has a better high school program, and is well on the way to having a very good feeder program. The fact of the matter is that the administration does not want to have the school perceived as a "football factory." That is fine. They should just be honest about so that the expectations of families and kids are in alignment with the goals of the school.

You are right the thing is he has taken the program in a direction that suits the admin it seems, maybe the best thing for KCHS is to make sure that they keep the status quo, if a person really looked at the entire situation it is simple make some changes improve the program regardless of win and loss record and regain our respect rather then becoming the school that makes excuses, I graduated from this program and can say without any thought about it our football program needs some BIG TIME changes.

• 2 weeks later...

I must say, I'm surprised by this if it turns out to be true. Rankin has a great job at Alcoa that probably pays pretty well too (with his additional role as assistant principal). This is also kind of soon after the season for him to be packing up and leaving, I would think. I could be wrong though, so I'm interested to see how this plays out.

I must say, I'm surprised by this if it turns out to be true. Rankin has a great job at Alcoa that probably pays pretty well too (with his additional role as assistant principal). This is also kind of soon after the season for him to be packing up and leaving, I would think. I could be wrong though, so I'm interested to see how this plays out.

Ah, but as others have already said, if he can retire from the public school system, can a nice public school retirement benefit and then get paid a sweet salary from a private school, what's not to like?

Any bets it was a DONE DEAL back in October? <_<:roflol:

LOD, I have been hearing it since September, was told of the deal that was cut for salary and several other conditions of the deal...then a couple of weeks ago heard that Catholic had reneged on part of the deal (part that dealt with what assistants he could bring), and that the deal was down the drain. Then a Catholic fan started a thread saying he heard they had extended the contract for the coach that is there. Should be interesting.......

LOD, I have been hearing it since September, was told of the deal that was cut for salary and several other conditions of the deal...then a couple of weeks ago heard that Catholic had reneged on part of the deal (part that dealt with what assistants he could bring), and that the deal was down the drain. Then a Catholic fan started a thread saying he heard they had extended the contract for the coach that is there. Should be interesting.......

I wonder if the 'Catholic fan' that started the thread you reference has ties to the current coach and has a vested interest in keeping him? <_<

Life was so much simpliar when the only thing coaches concentrated on was the sport.

I wonder if the 'Catholic fan' that started the thread you reference has ties to the current coach and has a vested interest in keeping him? <_<

Life was so much simpliar when the only thing coaches concentrated on was the sport.

It is this thread. If you go back and read the first few pages, no, I don't think it was anyone connected to Meadows because he seemed to be not only miffed, but shocked, about them keeping him.