McMinn Central

RumpleSkin93

The JV team was 4-2 with wins over McMinn, Loudon, Sequoyah and Sweetwater. Believe that the future is bright. Got the biggest class of freshman coming from Englewood and Central. They are talented, athletic and have some size.

One thing to add on this comment is that the sophmores playing on Fridays did not play with this JV group, with the exception of one game.

Thats all well and good but how many will stick with by their senior year? Or how many will Goodin end up running off that had potential to play.

Thats all well and good but how many will stick with by their senior year? Or how many will Goodin end up running off that had potential to play.

I know a few young men from Central who didn't play this year as Seniors for various reasons......ie, lazy, job, lack of drive, girlfriend, not wanting to be part of a losing team, etc. The coaches are trying to change that mentality and encourage the younger guys to stick it out and be a part of the rebuilding turnaround. Sometimes it hard to nurture a don't-care or negative trend that's been prevalent in a community for so long......but the coaches are trying. As has been mentioned, there's a lot of solid, hard-working, successful 8th graders that will be freshmen next season at Central, to enhance the good sophomore-to-be class.

As far as the players that Caoch Goodin and his staff "ran off", I'd say they ran them off for a good reason. Having the potential to play isn't a birthright to be guaranteed a position on the team if the said player has bad habits or has an attitude problem. Players like that are a cancer to a team, and though it was allowed too much with the previous coaching staff, I applaud this group of coaches for not allowing it. I'd rather go 1-9 with quality young men than go 9-1 with a team containing "problem children". Those teams from a few years ago that contained young men of questionable character didn't accomplish any more than this season's team other than more regular season wins.

Another thing hurting the Central football program is the turnover of coaches. While some may not have been great coaches, they weren't there long enough to build a team of solid hard-working players.....especially when the parents of the players or people in the community were criticizing everything about the coaches. Coach Goodin and his staff may not be able to turn it around, but there was improvement in this year's team over their first team in 2010. Remember, improvement is measured in many other ways than W's and L's.

Give them a chance, and if they're not competitive by 2013 or 2014, then the coaches can be held accountable.

Edited by blitzinbuc

I know a few young men from Central who didn't play this year as Seniors for various reasons......ie, lazy, job, lack of drive, girlfriend, not wanting to be part of a losing team, etc. The coaches are trying to change that mentality and encourage the younger guys to stick it out and be a part of the rebuilding turnaround. Sometimes it hard to nurture a don't-care or negative trend that's been prevalent in a community for so long......but the coaches are trying. As has been mentioned, there's a lot of solid, hard-working, successful 8th graders that will be freshmen next season at Central, to enhance the good sophomore-to-be class.

As far as the players that Caoch Goodin and his staff "ran off", I'd say they ran them off for a good reason. Having the potential to play isn't a birthright to be guaranteed a position on the team if the said player has bad habits or has an attitude problem. Players like that are a cancer to a team, and though it was allowed too much with the previous coaching staff, I applaud this group of coaches for not allowing it. I'd rather go 1-9 with quality young men than go 9-1 with a team containing "problem children". Those teams from a few years ago that contained young men of questionable character didn't accomplish any more than this season's team other than more regular season wins.

Another thing hurting the Central football program is the turnover of coaches. While some may not have been great coaches, they weren't there long enough to build a team of solid hard-working players.....especially when the parents of the players or people in the community were criticizing everything about the coaches. Coach Goodin and his staff may not be able to turn it around, but there was improvement in this year's team over their first team in 2010. Remember, improvement is measured in many other ways than W's and L's.

Give them a chance, and if they're not competitive by 2013 or 2014, then the coaches can be held accountable.

Well said Blitz, this post is very similar to the one I posted last week. Posts like this get looked over because of the reasoning and rationale. You cannot rationalize with irrational people. At least someone on here shares my thoughts about the situation. IF next year is not good (without attrition and with some additions) then coaches should be accountable.

*Still hoping what I've heard is true. If so, once again, LOOKOUT CHS!

Well said Blitz, this post is very similar to the one I posted last week. Posts like this get looked over because of the reasoning and rationale. You cannot rationalize with irrational people. At least someone on here shares my thoughts about the situation. IF next year is not good (without attrition and with some additions) then coaches should be accountable.

I hope that this great news you have heard is that Central is getting some different coaches!PLEASE tell us that Coach Derrick is coming back to coach!

Edited by BALLCOACH93

I love the way that some poeple on here try so hard to cover these coaches a--.No matter how you write it up or twist it,or try to blame the boys for these bad years.It all goes back to the piss poor coaching that Central has.It is all about these coaches ego!

Ok, I'll bite.....what have you heard??? :popcorneater:

Who are these 8th graders that are coming up that is going to be good? A little bit of advice for these 8th graders that are coming up.. everyone that you have played football with in elementary school TRY and continue to get these guys to play. It obvious that teams that have played together for years on end have great success in high school football. Look at Alcoa for instance, these boys have been playing with each other since the 1st day they threw their pads on, shoot look at Polk Co. they have played together too. It all involves being able to keep your kids together through elementary up to high school. One of the reason's that the classes of 08-10 had success. Correct me if I am wrong, but this is one of the big reasons I believe Central has had terrible seasons under Goodin. How many upperclassmen did Central have that actually played together when they were young, NOT MANY

Who are these 8th graders that are coming up that is going to be good? A little bit of advice for these 8th graders that are coming up.. everyone that you have played football with in elementary school TRY and continue to get these guys to play. It obvious that teams that have played together for years on end have great success in high school football. Look at Alcoa for instance, these boys have been playing with each other since the 1st day they threw their pads on, shoot look at Polk Co. they have played together too. It all involves being able to keep your kids together through elementary up to high school. One of the reason's that the classes of 08-10 had success. Correct me if I am wrong, but this is one of the big reasons I believe Central has had terrible seasons under Goodin. How many upperclassmen did Central have that actually played together when they were young, NOT MANY

Most of them are coming from the Englewood Little League team, that destroyed everyone they played this year. I'm pretty sure Etowah played in a different league, but had a very successful year too. Naturally, these young men aren't going to make the varsity excel next season, but combining them with the talented freshmen and sophomores that played at Central this past season, the future looks good.

Most of them are coming from the Englewood Little League team, that destroyed everyone they played this year. I'm pretty sure Etowah played in a different league, but had a very successful year too. Naturally, these young men aren't going to make the varsity excel next season, but combining them with the talented freshmen and sophomores that played at Central this past season, the future looks good.

Yes Englewood did destory everyone they played,But they don't play anyone that is good.Alot of things can change from 8th grade to senior year,I guess we will have to wait and see.

Yes Englewood did destory everyone they played,But they don't play anyone that is good.Alot of things can change from 8th grade to senior year,I guess we will have to wait and see.

You didn't see the Englewood Central scrimmage did ya? I used to think the same thing about Englewood till I watched them scrimmage Central. Englewood would have breezed through Centrals league with maybe the exception of Loudon and Loudon would have to have packed a sack lunch and wear hard hats to beat Englewood. Don't let their league fool ya, they are for real. :thumb:

It really blows my mind that these two teams cannot come together as one.I never will understand it!

I used to be the same way untill an Englewood parent broke it down for me. 1. A player can not turn 14 before August 1st and play for Central. But they can Englewood. So, if a player is held back for any reason he will be too old his 8th grade year for Central. Which is really crazy to begin with because this player will still be eligible his senior year. 2. No weight limit at Englewood. If you weigh over a certain amount at Central you can NOT carry the ball plus only a certain number of these kids can be on the field at one time. (Why any team is Centrals league wants to play with these rules is beyond me. This is football not sweater knitting.)

Edited by 89charger