What if all the privates played DII?

Trojan Fan

Not suggesting they'd want to but was just curious at what a list would look like if all the privates were in the same league and expansion to 3 classifications were done. I drew arbitrary lines to break out the 3 groups and used the enrollment numbers (some doubled due to being all boys) the TSSAA used in the last reclassification. I think it really makes for an entertaining class A (smallest league) and a chance for truly small schools to compete. It's still a stretch w/ the biggest two classes still being too small and some inequities with the biggest schools a good bit bigger than the smallest in a class but this was just for fun anyway.

The MTAC grouping (not listed here) playing 8 man football might have some interested in a more scaled back DII-A with the biggest A schools up in class. You might well could split E/M out into just East and just Middle and the playoff qualifiers in AA and AAA would have to be weighted more to that end of the state b/c of all the teams.

What do you think, folks? Fire away. I'm sure I missed somebody and included some I shouldn't, too, so certainly please comment.

W Christian Brothers High School 1778

E/M Montgomery Bell Academy 1140

W St. Benedict at Auburndale 983

E/M Livingston Academy 922

E/M Father Ryan High School 870

W Memphis University School 828

E/M Baylor School 712

E/M McCallie (not sure how I missed them)

E/M Howard School of Academics & Tech. 695

E/M Alvin C. York Institute 694

E/M Pope John Paul II High School 635

E/M Knoxville Catholic High School 624

W Briarcrest Christian School 567

E/M Tyner Academy 553

W Evangelical Christian School 510

E/M Notre Dame High School 507

----------------------------------------------

E/M Webb School of Knoxville 474

E/M Brentwood Academy 463

E/M Chattanooga Christian School 428

E/M Ensworth High School 427

E/M Christian Academy of Knoxville 408

E/M Battle Ground Academy 392

W St. George's Independent School 372

W Harding Academy 367

W Southern Baptist Educational Center 362

W University School of Jackson 350

E/M Goodpasture Christian School 347

E/M Christ Presbyterian Academy 328

W Jackson Christian School 326

W First Assembly Christian School 309

E/M Donelson Christian Academy 291

E/M Davidson Academy 269

--------------------------------------------------------

W Fayette Academy 262

E/M Ezell-Harding Christian School 262

W Lausanne Collegiate School 252

W Trinity Christian Academy 246

E/M Grace Baptist Academy 241

E/M Franklin Road Academy 239

E/M Silverdale Baptist Academy 236

E/M Friendship Christian School 218

E/M Grace Christian Academy 216

E/M Middle Tennessee Christian School 212

W Tipton-Rosemark Academy 203

E/M Columbia Academy 184

E/M Clarksville Academy 183

W Bishop Byrne High School 179

E/M Nashville Christian School 177

E/M Mt. Juliet Christian Academy 153

E/M King's Academy 144

W Rossville Christian Academy 141

E/M Lancaster Christian Academy 131

W Memphis Catholic High School 130

E/M David Brainerd Christian School 110

E/M Zion Christian Academy 103

W Memphis Academy of Health Sciences 83

E/M Riverside Christian 76

Edited by Trojan Fan

Great List. Howard and Tyner are Public Schools in Chattanooga and you need to add McCallie, which I would think would be about the size of Baylor but all male. I would think Chattanooga Christian has more students since I think they are one of the biggest Private schools in Chattanooga now. It has really grown in the last 5 years.

Not suggesting they'd want to but was just curious at what a list would look like if all the privates were in the same league and expansion to 3 classifications were done. I drew arbitrary lines to break out the 3 groups and used the enrollment numbers (some doubled due to being all boys) the TSSAA used in the last reclassification. I think it really makes for an entertaining class A (smallest league) and a chance for truly small schools to compete. It's still a stretch w/ the biggest two classes still being too small and some inequities with the biggest schools a good bit bigger than the smallest in a class but this was just for fun anyway.

The MTAC grouping (not listed here) playing 8 man football might have some interested in a more scaled back DII-A with the biggest A schools up in class. You might well could split E/M out into just East and just Middle and the playoff qualifiers in AA and AAA would have to be weighted more to that end of the state b/c of all the teams.

What do you think, folks? Fire away. I'm sure I missed somebody and included some I shouldn't, too, so certainly please comment.

W Christian Brothers High School 1778

E/M Montgomery Bell Academy 1140

W St. Benedict at Auburndale 983

E/M Livingston Academy 922

E/M Father Ryan High School 870

W Memphis University School 828

E/M Baylor School 712

E/M Howard School of Academics & Tech. 695

E/M Alvin C. York Institute 694

E/M Pope John Paul II High School 635

E/M Knoxville Catholic High School 624

W Briarcrest Christian School 567

E/M Tyner Academy 553

W Evangelical Christian School 510

E/M Notre Dame High School 507

----------------------------------------------

E/M Webb School of Knoxville 474

E/M Brentwood Academy 463

E/M Chattanooga Christian School 428

E/M Ensworth High School 427

E/M Christian Academy of Knoxville 408

E/M Battle Ground Academy 392

W St. George's Independent School 372

W Harding Academy 367

W Southern Baptist Educational Center 362

W University School of Jackson 350

E/M Goodpasture Christian School 347

E/M Christ Presbyterian Academy 328

W Jackson Christian School 326

W First Assembly Christian School 309

E/M Donelson Christian Academy 291

E/M Davidson Academy 269

--------------------------------------------------------

W Fayette Academy 262

E/M Ezell-Harding Christian School 262

W Lausanne Collegiate School 252

W Trinity Christian Academy 246

E/M Grace Baptist Academy 241

E/M Franklin Road Academy 239

E/M Silverdale Baptist Academy 236

E/M Friendship Christian School 218

E/M Grace Christian Academy 216

E/M Middle Tennessee Christian School 212

W Tipton-Rosemark Academy 203

E/M Columbia Academy 184

E/M Clarksville Academy 183

W Bishop Byrne High School 179

E/M Nashville Christian School 177

E/M Mt. Juliet Christian Academy 153

E/M King's Academy 144

W Rossville Christian Academy 141

E/M Lancaster Christian Academy 131

W Memphis Catholic High School 130

E/M David Brainerd Christian School 110

E/M Zion Christian Academy 103

W Memphis Academy of Health Sciences 83

E/M Riverside Christian 76

Two privates in this area Christian Academy of Knoxville (CAK) and Grace Christian. And I may have missed them, but there is Webb Bell Buckle.

I like the idea of rethinking Division II and with the list that could be accomplished for parity in the smaller schools. But at the end of the day, those on the size bubble will have to deal with "playing up" into the true powerhouse teams for their respective divisions.

Aside from the complaints of recruiting, playing local teams with the nonregional games played against the other privates could have some appeal to many. And I have not thought it all the way through, but for a fact some of the regular season 3-4 hour bus trips would not be missed :roll:

Webb Bell Buckle is playing 8 man football.

Aaron Academy

Christian Community School

Franklin Christian Academy

Franklin Classical School

HEAT

Holloway High

Sacred Heart

St Andrew- Sewanee

WEBB

Here's the association web site. Kinda cool. I like it.

http://www.mtacsports.org/

Edited by Trojan Fan

The remaining Division I private schools like it in Division I obviously or they would have moved Division II, like a few such as FRA have done. Some of the schools are different in their backing, history and such but as far as on the football field there shouldn't be a lot of difference in the top Division I privates, and the top Division II, smaller school, privates. I still believe the threat of being paired in a district with Brentwood Academy and the like was used as a boogeyman to keep private schools in Division I, even with the cost of having to use the multiplier. There would be no multiplier in Division II for those schools.

Here is how I think it could shake out, if enough wanted to go this route. Some I think would move up voluntarily to face old rivals or better competition. I'm like one of the previous posters, SAS and others could elect to re-enter or enter TSSSA 11-man football if they weren't likely to face a Knoxville Webb or BGA. This would increase the size of Class A. Lancaster if remember right moved out of the TSSAA because of a difference of opinion on transfers, who knows if they would want back in.

Travel would be worse for some, but for most this would be a plus compared to what they have now especially the teams already in Division II.

Class A:

Middle: Riverside Chr. (Fayetteville) 78, Columbia Academy 175, Zion Christian (Columbia) 120, St. Andrews (Sewanee) 203

Nashville area: Nashville Christian School 168; Mt. Juliet Christian 121, Nashville Christian School 168, Middle Tennessee Christian School 214

West: Rossville 126, Bishop Byrne (Memphis) 141, Memphis Catholic (Memphis) 145

Rosemark (Millington) 203

Class AA:

There are a lot of teams in this group, they could split the middle group into two regions.

East: Boyd Buchanan High School 278, Grace Christian Academy 286, Knoxville Webb 465

Grace Baptist Academy * 187, Silverdale Baptist Academy 230, Notre Dame High School 415, Christian Academy of Knoxville 430, Chattanooga Christian School 452

Middle: Davidson Academy 228, FRA (Nashville) 255, Ezell-Harding (Antioch) 248,

DCA (Nashville) 269, Clarksville Academy * 177, Christ Presbyterian Academy AA 339

Goodpasture Christian School AA 382, BGA (Franklin) 349, Friendship Christian School * 191

West: Trinity Christian Academy 251, Fayette Academy (Somerville) 260, Jackson Christian (Jackson) 285, USJ (Jackson) 348, FACS (Cordova) 304, SBEC (Southaven) 331

Harding Academy (Memphis) 347, ECS (Cordova) 436, St. George's (Collierville) 366

Class AAA

East/Middle: Knoxville Catholic High School 672, Baylor (Chattanooga) 732,

McCallie (Chattanooga) 625 (x2) 1250, Pope John Paul (Hendersonville) 615, Father Ryan (Nashville) 921, MBA (Nashville) 486 (x2) 972, Brentwood Academy (Brentwood) 453

David Lipscomb High School AA 522, Ensworth (Nashville) 423

West:

Briarcrest (Eads) 572, St. Benedict (Cordova) 984, CBHS (Memphis) 872 (x2) 1744

MUS (Memphis) 431 x 2 = 862

David Brainerd and Temple in Chattanooga are no longer operating.

The remaining Division I private schools like it in Division I obviously or they would have moved Division II, like a few such as FRA have done. Some of the schools are different in their backing, history and such but as far as on the football field there shouldn't be a lot of difference in the top Division I privates, and the top Division II, smaller school, privates. I still believe the threat of being paired in a district with Brentwood Academy and the like was used as a boogeyman to keep private schools in Division I, even with the cost of having to use the multiplier. There would be no multiplier in Division II for those schools.

Here is how I think it could shake out, if enough wanted to go this route. Some I think would move up voluntarily to face old rivals or better competition. I'm like one of the previous posters, SAS and others could elect to re-enter or enter TSSSA 11-man football if they weren't likely to face a Knoxville Webb or BGA. This would increase the size of Class A. Lancaster if remember right moved out of the TSSAA because of a difference of opinion on transfers, who knows if they would want back in.

Travel would be worse for some, but for most this would be a plus compared to what they have now especially the teams already in Division II.

Class A:

Middle: Riverside Chr. (Fayetteville) 78, Columbia Academy 175, Zion Christian (Columbia) 120, St. Andrews (Sewanee) 203

Nashville area: Nashville Christian School 168; Mt. Juliet Christian 121, Nashville Christian School 168, Middle Tennessee Christian School 214

West: Rossville 126, Bishop Byrne (Memphis) 141, Memphis Catholic (Memphis) 145

Rosemark (Millington) 203

Class AA:

There are a lot of teams in this group, they could split the middle group into two regions.

East: Boyd Buchanan High School 278, Grace Christian Academy 286, Knoxville Webb 465

Grace Baptist Academy * 187, Silverdale Baptist Academy 230, Notre Dame High School 415, Christian Academy of Knoxville 430, Chattanooga Christian School 452

Middle: Davidson Academy 228, FRA (Nashville) 255, Ezell-Harding (Antioch) 248,

DCA (Nashville) 269, Clarksville Academy * 177, Christ Presbyterian Academy AA 339

Goodpasture Christian School AA 382, BGA (Franklin) 349, Friendship Christian School * 191

West: Trinity Christian Academy 251, Fayette Academy (Somerville) 260, Jackson Christian (Jackson) 285, USJ (Jackson) 348, FACS (Cordova) 304, SBEC (Southaven) 331

Harding Academy (Memphis) 347, ECS (Cordova) 436, St. George's (Collierville) 366

Class AAA

East/Middle: Knoxville Catholic High School 672, Baylor (Chattanooga) 732,

McCallie (Chattanooga) 625 (x2) 1250, Pope John Paul (Hendersonville) 615, Father Ryan (Nashville) 921, MBA (Nashville) 486 (x2) 972, Brentwood Academy (Brentwood) 453

David Lipscomb High School AA 522, Ensworth (Nashville) 423

West:

Briarcrest (Eads) 572, St. Benedict (Cordova) 984, CBHS (Memphis) 872 (x2) 1744

MUS (Memphis) 431 x 2 = 862

David Brainerd and Temple in Chattanooga are no longer operating.

Great food for thought. Thanks. :thumb:

I also believe budgets issues because of travel requirements keep some privates where there are. IMO

Edited by WebbSpartans

Take it to 2 classifications and you got something

Two classifications with an even number of teams, or with a set number as the cutoff? Not having a chance against an MBA or Baylor would likely keep some private schools in Division I, even if they considered a move. Same as the smallest privates not having much of a chance against some of the teams listed as AA here.

The main travel problem I'd see in this would be Knoxville to Chattanooga in Class AA, two times one year and three times the next year for the Knoxville teams..but some of them I believe already have long road trips in the non-district games while playing Division I.

Edited by Indian