2011 Arby's Classic

MentorFan

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured that out about Christ School when looking at their "team preview" on unapproved website. Its no wonder they are one of the top "high school" teams in the country. If Mentor could bring back last year's seniors on this current team they would be pretty darn good as well. One of Christ School's "impact players" is Will Weeks. The funny thing from my perspective is Weeks was one of the top sophomores and juniors in Ohio (playing for a team that is currently is Mentor's league). The funny part (not really) is that I saw him play as a junior...in 2009. Now in 2011 (and 2012) he is still a senior. How convenient.

Weeks transferred out of Ohio after his junior season. Apparently he is on his second senior season, or maybe last year was his second junior season. Either way, its pretty shady for them to be doing such a thing and be included with other high school teams in national rankings and such.

Thanks noone else would agree that there not high school teams.Go to Johnson city press .com the had first round match up in there today

he

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Sports/article.php?id=96037

Another article about the Classic, including a take on Science Hill not participating for the first time since the 90's. I am from Ohio, so I don't know about what team has the biggest following - but it sounds like the article assumes the biggest fan base is from Science Hill. Is that true? How much will it impact attendance?

Based on the articles, here are the matchups I could figure out:

Top half of bracket:

Gate City – Greater Atlanta Christian (1st round 12/27)

Mentor – Hurley (1st round 12/27)

Sullivan East – Charlotte Christian (1st round 12/27)

Cherokee - Craigmont (1st round 12/27)

Bottom half of bracket:

Sevier – Urspring (opening round)

Greeneville – Tabernacle Baptist (opening round)

Tennessee High - Christ Presbyterian Academy (1st round 12/28)

Irmo - Dobyns Bennet (1st round 12/28)

Fort Myers will play the winner of Sevier County/Urspring on 12/28 in the 1st round. Christ School will play the winner of Greenville/Tabernace Baptist.

My predictions on the favorites for the top half of the bracket are Mentor, Charlotte Christian (state runner-ups in 2011 to Christ School) and Craigmont (defending state champs out of Memphis). Favorites on the bottom are Christ School and Urspring (last year's runners-up, bringing back all but one starter). But you all can give more info about some of the local teams and their chances.

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Sports/article.php?id=96037

Another article about the Classic, including a take on Science Hill not participating for the first time since the 90's. I am from Ohio, so I don't know about what team has the biggest following - but it sounds like the article assumes the biggest fan base is from Science Hill. Is that true? How much will it impact attendance?

I don't know if it will affect attendance greatly, but Science Hill is a top program (too alot of folks it is the top program in the area) and not being in the Arby's is shocking. Science Hill does have a big following, but overall attendance shouldn't be affected too much. Science Hill will be playing national power Oak Hill Academy around mid December sometime, but that is surprising not to see Science Hill in the Arby's.

Also adding one more favorite to the mix is Greater Atlanta Christian. They are the two-time defending state champions in the Georgia AA division (second smallest). Columbia (last year's Arby's Classic champs) won the Georgia AAA state title. If the team I follow (Mentor, OH) is to make another big run - they look to have an even tougher draw than last year. This could include three consecutive games against defending state champions from Georgia, Tennessee, and North Carolina.

Any updates on how the early season is going for Classic participants? In Ohio, our first games don't begin until the first weekend in December. But most other parts of the country seemed to have begun. Charlotte Christian is 2-0 with average margin of victory being around 30. Craigmont is 3-1, with the lone loss being to fellow Memphis powerhouse Melrose - a team I believe won the Arby's Classic in 2009. Greater Atlanta Christian (two time state champs from GA) is 1-2, with a couple close losses to what I imagine are quality teams. One loss was in OT and the other was a 66-64 setback to Columbia (GA) - the 2010 Arby's Classic winners.

I will try to post some updates of other teams throughout the month, but certainly updates of Mentor.

Mentor picked up where they left off last year with a 101-48 win to start their season. The Cardinals were the top scoring team in Ohio last year (about 90 ppg) as well as the leading three-point shooting team in the state. Mentor will have three more games before heading down to Bristol at the end of the month.

Mentor is ranked No. 3 in the Plain Dealer (Cleveland area seven county coverage) to start the season.

Updates of some teams from the Classic:

Mentor (OH) is 3-0, scoring over 100 points in all of their games. They are ranked No. 2 in the Plain Dealer (Cleveland area paper). Mentor hasn't played any team of significance, and they won't until the Classic.

Christ School (NC) is 9-1, just taking their first loss of the season over the weekend to High Point Christian Academy (NC). Christ School is averaging over 80 ppg this season.

Charlotte Christian (NC) is 7-1. Their only loss of the season is to High Point Christian Academy, suffering the same fate as Christ School.

Greater Atlanta Christian is 6-3, but don't let their record fool you. One of their losses was a 66-64 setback to nationally ranked Mill Creek (GA), who was No. 3 in ESPN before their recent loss to Oak Hill. Another loss for GAC was a 64-56 setback to Columbia (GA), last year's Arby's Classic champs and probably the No. 2 team in Georgia.

Craigmont (8-4) is one of the better teams in Memphis, but they are off to an up and down start among a very competitive group of Memphis teams. It appears they have played city rival Melrose (the 2009 Arby's Classic champions) three times already this season, going 1-2 in those games.

Updates of some teams from the Classic:

Mentor (OH) is 3-0, scoring over 100 points in all of their games. They are ranked No. 2 in the Plain Dealer (Cleveland area paper). Mentor hasn't played any team of significance, and they won't until the Classic.

Christ School (NC) is 9-1, just taking their first loss of the season over the weekend to High Point Christian Academy (NC). Christ School is averaging over 80 ppg this season.

Charlotte Christian (NC) is 7-1. Their only loss of the season is to High Point Christian Academy, suffering the same fate as Christ School.

Greater Atlanta Christian is 6-3, but don't let their record fool you. One of their losses was a 66-64 setback to nationally ranked Mill Creek (GA), who was No. 3 in ESPN before their recent loss to Oak Hill. Another loss for GAC was a 64-56 setback to Columbia (GA), last year's Arby's Classic champs and probably the No. 2 team in Georgia.

Craigmont (8-4) is one of the better teams in Memphis, but they are off to an up and down start among a very competitive group of Memphis teams. It appears they have played city rival Melrose (the 2009 Arby's Classic champions) three times already this season, going 1-2 in those games.

Christ Presbyterian Academy (Nashville, TN) is 10-1 and won the King of the Bluegrass Classic last week in Louisville. They beat Orange Lutheran (CA) who was ranked 45th nationally by ESPN, PRP (ranked #5 KY), Ballard (ranked #1 in KY) and Butler (KY).

Christ Presbyterian Academy (Nashville, TN) is 10-1. Won the King of the Bluegrass tournament in Louisville last week beating Orange Lutheran (CA) ranked 45th by ESPN