2011 Arby's Classic

MentorFan

Tonights final should be a good one. I can see it going either way. Hairston is the best point guard Mentor has seen and I think with him and their length they will be able to get past their press. I also would add that if the right officials (or wrong depending on your preference) call this game, Christ School will be shootin 1 and 1 with 5 minutes to go in the first quarter.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best player on the court was Bradshaw from CPA. Hairston from Christ had a great game in helping his team get the win.

Mentor, OH will win tomorrow by 15-20 points. They are by far and away the best team in the field.

Hairston was the best player.. If he and Bradshaw switched teams than he would have at more than 31 points. Hairston has a better team around him is why he doesn't get as much points are shine as much.

CPA was potentially "one technical foul call" away from winning the 2011 Arby's Classic. Christ School, NC sounded impressive in beating Mentor, OH.

CPA has played some outstanding competition to start this season. District action starts up this next week. I look for their difficult schedule to pay off in a huge way when the Lions return to play the teams from District 10-AA. Outside of a very good East Literature team I don't see anyone from 10-AA being able to play with them if Maddux's boys bring their "A-Game" to the gym on a nightly basis.

Congrats to Christ School, NC/Mentor, OH/CPA/Charlotte Christian, NC on their outstanding play throughout this tourney. I'd expect all of those teams to be major factors in their respective divisions.

Does anyone know what day and time are they going to show the championship game on tv I want to see how Christ school stopped mentor's 3 pointer when no one else could

I don't kbow that they completely stopped it as much as the 3 ball just wasn't going in like it normally does.

Without shooting the 3 as well, mentor did great to keep it as close as they did and really showed that they are a legit team.

Live by the 3 and die by the 3, when they go in it will be nearly impossible to beat them, but when they aren't falling-anything can happen

Turning the ball over there is better than giving the other team 2 technical foul shots and then being forced to foul defensively after you are trailing following the technical free throws.

A turnover would have given Christ School the basketball with the game tied and 1:24 to go.

Those are hardly what I would call "similar" situations!

Of course you would rather not have a technical in any situation. My point is that the technical was no where near the biggest play of the game as you describe it as it only cost the Lions two potential points because the turnover was already a foregone conclusion. If there wasn't already a turnover then you might have a stronger case. In general a turnover costs a team potentially six points ( the potential three you did not get on your possessioon and the potential three your opponent could get). The Christ School steal with 15 seconds to go and foul was certaintly bigger. However the biggest difference maker in the game was the six straight CPA turnovers in the 2nd quarter that led to a 16-2 Christ School run.

Without being there I don't really know if Mentor's shots were not falling due to defense, poor shot selection, being cold, or some combination. I listened to the telecast and the WXSM guys made it seem like Mentor was missing some open looks they were hitting in the first few days of the Classic. I guess a 3-1 showing is impressive considering the talent, but its hard not to be disappointed considering how well Mentor played the first three games.

In Ohio, the 3-2 zone is very rarely used against Mentor over the years. I have no idea why that is the case. When it is used, the team has a lot of trouble finding their shot. If I was coaching against Mentor, that is exactly the kind of defense I would be using.

Congrats to Christ School on winning the title and Bradshaw for MVP. Two years in a row the 3rd place team got the MVP. Sounds like he would have been a fun player to watch.

Without being there I don't really know if Mentor's shots were not falling due to defense, poor shot selection, being cold, or some combination. I listened to the telecast and the WXSM guys made it seem like Mentor was missing some open looks they were hitting in the first few days of the Classic. I guess a 3-1 showing is impressive considering the talent, but its hard not to be disappointed considering how well Mentor played the first three games.

In Ohio, the 3-2 zone is very rarely used against Mentor over the years. I have no idea why that is the case. When it is used, the team has a lot of trouble finding their shot. If I was coaching against Mentor, that is exactly the kind of defense I would be using.

Congrats to Christ School on winning the title and Bradshaw for MVP. Two years in a row the 3rd place team got the MVP. Sounds like he would have been a fun player to watch.

I think their size was a huge factor. Not only were they in a 3-2 zone, but they had 6'7" hale out front, with the two 6'2" guards on the wings and then two 6'6" guys down low. Also, Christ School got some steals when the Mentor players would drive and look to kick out. Christ knew they wasn't driving to score.