CPA @ MILAN let's get it started

thedawg44

Enjoyed my first trip to Milan except for the final score. Good catfish dinner in Camden. Easy parking and access. Good crowd. I agree with CPA4ever about CPA winning if Mitchell had not gone out. No offense at all but defense did great as much as they were on the field.

#29 was a stud, maybe tired down in 2nd half since he goes both ways. Question Milan for passing so much on 1st and 2nd downs in the second half. I think they would have scored if they kept with the run game. This was the tightest game of the nite. Too many blow outs for semis.

Congrats to Milan for making it to the finals and congrats to CPA on a very good season. To the seniors, you will be missed. Maybe we can meet again next year and we would welcome Milan to visit CPA. You were good hosts.

Edited by FBGIRL

I can't speak about the radio announcer, but I've never heard a PA announcer actually lead the home team cheers. Not just a hearty home team announcement,but getting on and cheering go,go,go......

I don't remember him ever actually chanting "go, go, go", but he did start a defense chant many times....and after some of the schools we have played at this season, our announcers style is MILD! Especially compared to Fairviews and South Gibson...just a couple that come to mind quickly.

As for the radio announcer....if some of you don't like his style...or favoritism towards Milan...then I'd suggest you should probably turn and listen to CPAs station......oh wait that's right, they don't have one and apparently since Milan is still on 'dial up', you couldn't get your fancy dancy video thread to work. Guess you'll have to just wait for the outcome to pop up on CoachT!

One thing about it....our dial up systems and 'Homer' announcer will be sittin in Cookeville this coming Friday afternoon at 3:30 with a packed house of Purple, while your fancy video thread will be broadcasting a lovely instructional video on how to winterize your field house! :roflol:

Now that the smack is outta the way...GREAT defensive game!! Neither offense could really get things started, but these are def. the two best defenses in 3A in the state! Milan's D just made more plays tonight! CPA, it was a pleasure to host you at the Pound...I did find it kinda funny when I overheard three CPA ladies talking in the restroom during halftime about how worried they were because "Milan wasn't supposed to be that good".....interesting theory there after 29 consecutive years of TSSAA state playoff apperances. great game, that had my BP up and had me worried most of the evening! Best of luck to you guys next year, and hope we get to meet again in the future! :)

State Bound Dawgs!!! Practice hard, stay focused, and most importantly....BELIEVE!! :thumb: See y'all in Cookeville!!!

I'm not sure who our PA guy is this year but it's his first. Preston Caldwell had done it for about the last 15 years but gave it up after last year, and he was as good as they get. And as much as I love Stevie Ray, the new crew is no Brother Sam McElory (with Robin Cude who is studio guy for 93.7 now) who was publicly welcomed to the game in the first quarter. Brother Sam was honestly the best radio guy I've ever heard, at any level.

I can't speak about the radio announcer, but I've never heard a PA announcer actually lead the home team cheers. Not just a hearty home team announcement,but getting on and cheering go,go,go......

I know it sounds like "sour grapes" but in all honesty - Milan is a great place for HS football with an incredible tradition. In an environment like that, everything should be first rate, regardless of what other teams do at their place. It is bushleague and out of character to have an announcer leading cheers - which he was. He can be a "homey" and still work within the protocol of what a good announcer should do. Great football tradition and respect require certain protocol. I'm sure he is a great guy and he does a great job when he is not leading cheers. Someone needs to talk with him.

I know it sounds like "sour grapes" but in all honesty - Milan is a great place for HS football with an incredible tradition. In an environment like that, everything should be first rate, regardless of what other teams do at their place. It is bushleague and out of character to have an announcer leading cheers - which he was. He can be a "homey" and still work within the protocol of what a good announcer should do. Great football tradition and respect require certain protocol. I'm sure he is a great guy and he does a great job when he is not leading cheers. Someone needs to talk with him.

CPA4Ever - I should have tried to meet up with you last night early. I have seen you on these boards for the last 4-6 years and you always have a great perspective on your team. I thought you guys gave everything you had last night. I was really impressed with the QB in the first half. Hope he is ok, heard through grapevine he has had trouble with ankle all year? I really can't say enough about the heart of your team, esp. your defense in the 2nd half. When a team loses it QB it can be disheartning to the whole team. Your defense left every ounce of effort on the field last night. I have never seen Milan have such short fields in the 2nd half of a game and not be able to get in the endzone. Who would've thought the safety would decide the game? Not me.

Good luck next year, guessing we might just meet up again with you guys and Fairview.

Great atmosphere, great stadium and great Milan hosts. Milan was the best offense we have seen this year, IMO, including Maplewood because Milan was more versatile. Very impressed with QB (smart and good arm) and Coleman is a beast running the ball. CPA's defense was incredible, especially considering they had basically no offense in the 2nd half with QB hurt, and had their backs to the wall the whole half without surrendering any points. Not being able to throw won't get it done against a good defense like Milan. I do believe CPA would have won with Mitchell healthy but, no excuses, Milan is a great team and they won and deserved it.

The only negative of the trip for me was a few classless adult Milan fans "bulldog barking" at the CPA players as they went to the dressing room after a tough loss. How about some class and respect for the young men who left it all on the field?

Should be a great championship game.

Let me apologize to the CPA fans and players for any classless Milan fans if they taunted the players after the game. Unfortunately, there are some of these everywhere..!!!! Great game..!!!! Worthy of a semi-final game anywhere..!!

GO DAWGS...!!!

Edited by theboneman

CPA4Ever - I should have tried to meet up with you last night early. I have seen you on these boards for the last 4-6 years and you always have a great perspective on your team. I thought you guys gave everything you had last night. I was really impressed with the QB in the first half. Hope he is ok, heard through grapevine he has had trouble with ankle all year? I really can't say enough about the heart of your team, esp. your defense in the 2nd half. When a team loses it QB it can be disheartning to the whole team. Your defense left every ounce of effort on the field last night. I have never seen Milan have such short fields in the 2nd half of a game and not be able to get in the endzone. Who would've thought the safety would decide the game? Not me.

Good luck next year, guessing we might just meet up again with you guys and Fairview.

Thanks. Appreciate you and the Milan fans' passion and tradition. Thought we were going to get the win until Mitchell got hurt. Everything was shaping up in 1st half with running game established and not having to pass, using a lot of clock (which is what we like to do), and knowing we were getting the KO in the 2nd half and wind in the 4th quarter for passing or if we needed a FG. When we held on 4th late, I believe 2 first downs and our kicker could nail a 50+ yarder with the wind at his back if needed. But Milan is too good a defense to try to beat with a one-dimensional offene we were forced to use. I was a bit surprised we never ran a halfback pass with Mitchell pitching to Wharton late which is in the playbook and Wharton is a pretty good passer. But, hey, our coaches are awesome and know better than me.

I predicted CPA win 24-21. Was confident our D wouldn't give up more than 21, but didn't anticipate a half without any offense. Good luck in Cookeville.

Congrats to Milan and good luck next week in Cookville. I know that injuries are part of the game, but losing QB, Mitchell, and injuries to Cranford and Fleenor were too much to overcome in the second half. Defense put in an amazing second half performance and gave CPA a chance to win in the final minutes.

I was really pleased to see how many fans CPA brought to the game on the holiday weekend. CPA had a great season --- only two loses to two state finalist by a total of three points. Congrats to this years senior class. The future looks good for the Lions with an impressive group of underclassmen returning.

First of all I want to say that CPA played an excellent game and congratulations to both teams. Maybe we can meet up again next year for another exciting game. Was I the only one that noticed that CPA's offense only scored 1 TD with the starting quarterback playing? If Finch didn't fumble and CPA return it for a TD, the final score could have easily been 23-7. I know you have to play solid defense and CPA did. I'm NOT trying to take anything away from them. I just think that Milan's defense did better than the score suggests. Great job to both teams.

First of all I want to say that CPA played an excellent game and congratulations to both teams. Maybe we can meet up again next year for another exciting game. Was I the only one that noticed that CPA's offense only scored 1 TD with the starting quarterback playing? If Finch didn't fumble and CPA return it for a TD, the final score could have easily been 23-7. I know you have to play solid defense and CPA did. I'm NOT trying to take anything away from them. I just think that Milan's defense did better than the score suggests. Great job to both teams.

As YOU said, we don't want to take anything away from the other team; however, CPA moved the ball very well against Milan and our QB had over 60 yards rushing in the 1st half and was throwing well until he got hurt. Milan's defense did play well, but when you don't have to defend the pass or the best QB running the offense and his All-state WR banged up, you should play well. Milan has good coaches that are going to be hard to beat if you are one-dimensional.

The Finch fumble was caused by a big hit, and the Wharton return was a play not too many high school kids make.

To say Milan's defense (only giving up one TD) did better than the score suggests is implying CPA, at full strength, would have been shut out. Do you really believe that after CPA went right down the field in the 1st half before the injuries?

You can play the "what if" game if it makes you feel better, but that game can be played both ways. If CPA gains ten more yards on it's last possession and kicks a field goal then CPA wins. If CPA doesn't give up the long pass play in the second quarter, you could say that they win. If CPA doesn't have key injuries..... As in every close hard fought game one play here or there makes the difference. Milan made the plays to win.....would think that would be enough.