Coach Husband at BA

WaReAgLe3

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully something will happen soon. I think Coach Smith is great, but I will be pulling for Coach Sonn. We have played USN the past two years and I would to say that I was very impressed with what I saw. Coach Sonn plays an up tempo defensive minded game and his players really seem to enjoy playing for him. Once again, hoping a change comes soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok! Season is over for both Coach Sonn and Coach Smith. PLEASE make a change, let these two interview and go from there. Somebody has got to get in the ear of the higher ups and get this moving. From what I heard about todays game, I'm thinking Coach Sonn would love the change of scenery.

Wareagle, any chance you know something the rest of us dont know? Or is this just wishful thinking?

I too have seen Sonn coach. Seems like he would be a value add. Never seen Smith coach anything but girls. With his record at Ensworth, do you think that he wants to rebuild when he has had such success where he is?

Personally I see this league being hard to win for any coach as long as ricky continues to recruit like he does.

Funny how sore losers keep sayin' stuff like this, but I can think of at least three teams in D2-AA this year that had more basketball talent than did Ensworth. Look who (again) left with the gold ball. You can keep telling everyone that Ensworth wins with better players, but you would be lying. Ensworth does have athletic kids, but they win because they play their hearts out for a coach that understands how to identify each kid's strengths and weaknesses and is capable of capitalizing on the strengths while minimizing the weaknesses. Anyone who enjoys watching basketball (or football for that matter) will appreciate how Bowers uses each and every kid on his team as an important cog in the overall scheme. Take a look at Ensworth's typical box score over the past several years and you will find important contributions made by kids that would probably never have left the bench for many of the teams that Ensworth beat. Whine all you want, but Ensworth is a prime example of the principle that great coaching often trumps better players.

Edited by RedRobin

I believe that coach Bowers does a great job...his resume speaks for itself. (11 total state championships...5 in football and 6 in basketball at MBA and Ensworth combined) He does have great players on his teams but he wins because of how hard those great players play. There are a ton of coaches who can't get their players playing that hard and lose because of it. Ensworth is not the only school that offers financial aid. There are plenty of schools in Nashville that have the resources to offer kids a great education and a great athletic experience. The schools need to get with the program or continue to get left behind by Ensworth. I believe the great athletes go to Ensworth becuase they win in everything.

Personally I see this league being hard to win for any coach as long as ricky continues to recruit like he does.

Funny how every D2 AA topic comes around to being about Ensworth.....

For the record, last years EHS basketball team had 7 players (4 starters) that came to Ensworth in pre-first grade. The only exception being Corn. Granted Corn is a great player but every school in D2AA has at least 1 child that came in high school because at least partially they were great athletes. The main difference at EHS is Ricky coaches them up and they become better than the competition.

This years EHS basketball team had 4 players that came in pre-first and two that came in 7th grade. All but maybe two players on this team will not play in college (one in D3) so EHS is not getting top notch basketball prospects, just good (not great) athletes that play their hearts out for Coach Bowers. This year was a re-building year with 1 freshman and 4 sophomores seeing significant playing time and no true post player on the team. Guess what, they still won.

If Ricky coaches any team in D2 AA (except for maybe JPII) they win. It's not because he has better talent, he's a better coach than everyone else, period.

Funny how every D2 AA topic comes around to being about Ensworth.....

For the record, last years EHS basketball team had 7 players (4 starters) that came to Ensworth in pre-first grade. The only exception being Corn. Granted Corn is a great player but every school in D2AA has at least 1 child that came in high school because at least partially they were great athletes. The main difference at EHS is Ricky coaches them up and they become better than the competition.

This years EHS basketball team had 4 players that came in pre-first and two that came in 7th grade. All but maybe two players on this team will not play in college (one in D3) so EHS is not getting top notch basketball prospects, just good (not great) athletes that play their hearts out for Coach Bowers. This year was a re-building year with 1 freshman and 4 sophomores seeing significant playing time and no true post player on the team. Guess what, they still won.

If Ricky coaches any team in D2 AA (except for maybe JPII) they win. It's not because he has better talent, he's a better coach than everyone else, period.

While what you are saying is true..........the difference in Ensworth and the other teams is not the talent, it is their overall depth. With quality backup players #6-10 it is tough for teams to have to play at the pace that Ensworth forces for 32 minutes. You saw it the other night with Briarcrest, they simply ran out of gas at the end from the rugged pace.

First off i did not say ricky was a bad coach just a good recruiter. Its obvious the man can coach there is no denying that. What i am saying is that he wins with superior talent. The only teams that could match his talent were macallie and briarcrest. Its his superior players and depth that allow him to win so often. His 7 though 10 would start for most teams in the league there is no denying that. Also, the fact that you say he could win coaching any team is a joke of a statement and absolutely preposterous. If you really believe that you know nothing about basketball. in my opinion ricky is not even the best coach in the league. he is third behind bontrager and anglin. Bontrager can flat coach. he is the best coach in this league. if you saw the team he took to the state semifinals you know that their talent was nowhere near close to that of the other three teams. the man is a basketball genus. His teams player harder than anyone else's. if he had the talent ricky does he would be winning every other year also. Anglin is the same way. He is smart and a great game planner. His kids are very tough and that comes from him. Ricky falls behind these two in my book. Yes he has more wins and titles, but put these two in charge of the talent he has and they would be winning every year. I know for a FACT that every other coach in the league cheers against bowers every chance they get. You can say it is out of jealousy but truth is it is because of the way he does things. once again i want to clarify i think ricky is a good coach he is just an even better recruiter. i am not trying to start anything with this post i am just putting the opinion of almost everyone else in the league out there. Stop giving the man so much credit you have to have good players to win period and he always has the best.