Coach Husband at BA

WaReAgLe3

The financial aid qualifications work the same way at all DII schools. The school determines how much they are going to spend on financial aid. The schools with the most money can give more. A student-athlete qualifies for the same amount at any DII school that he/she applies to go to. The amount he/she receives is soley determined by the school.

As far as Tippett being the best coach in Memphis...he is a great one but he also had the best players longer than anyone else did. Hubie Smith won over 400 games at Bartlett with far less talent over the same time period.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The financial aid qualifications work the same way at all DII schools. The school determines how much they are going to spend on financial aid. The schools with the most money can give more. A student-athlete qualifies for the same amount at any DII school that he/she applies to go to. The amount he/she receives is soley determined by the school.

As far as Tippett being the best coach in Memphis...he is a great one but he also had the best players longer than anyone else did. Hubie Smith won over 400 games at Bartlett with far less talent over the same time period.

Tiger, I think you may be wrong on this. All DII schools use a third party clearinghouse to determine how much aid someone qualifies for and that is the amount they can give them. They do have to give them any money even if there is a need. So in a sense the school is deciding how much to give out in financial aid but they can't give someone more than they qualify for based on need as determined by an independent third party.

Didn't Brentwood finish third in the region without a single All-Region player? Not sure how that's a huge underachievement.

They finished third in regular season play, then proceeded to lose in the first round to Father Ryan, the number 8 seed, coincidentally enough they had just beaten Father Ryan 4 days earlier. The problem is post season. 4 out of 5 years under Husband's leading, BA has been put out of the tournament in the first round.

I say it again, BA had talent, but the way they were coached the talent could not shine. Had Husband played to his talent, I believe that there would have been several All-Region players on the team. When they had their mini-run after the first of the year that set them up to finish 3rd, they played differently than the end of the season. They ran the floor instead of walking the ball up, there were fast break points because they ran, they set picks for the wings and guards to get open for uncontested jumpshots, and they utilized the fact that their posts were fast and tall (if not big) getting the ball down low quickly before the others teams could set up their defensive pressure.

Then Husband changed the whole offensive strategy going back to his tried and not-so-true habit of passing the ball around the perimeter and turning the ball over... basketball should be played North and South, not East and West... they stopped running, they stopped going to the basket, they stopped setting picks for the wings, the posts never got the ball when they were open because no one was looking inside, and when they did get the ball they had to contend with the other teams' post players that out weighed them by 20 lbs. They stopped playing like a team, each kid not trusting the other, so there were so many low percentage "chuck it up" shots.

Again, there was talent, but the talent was not used well.

Rumble, You are correct. What I mean is that the school determines how much to give after the family is told how much they qualify for. I know some school don't even give the amount that the family qualifies for...which is a mistake in my opinion. The family is going to take the best deal most of the time. The school with the most money (Ensworth) to give in financial aid is going to get the better athlete if the athlete can make it academically. You are correct in saying that a third party (SSS)determines how much a family qualifies for but the school decides how much of the qaulifying money is going to be given.

Voice your concerns to every person in administration over there. Otherwise look for another sub-par year next year with a very good team. Make the call, Coach Sonn is waiting.

Any word - has this guy been replaced? No way he comes back after screwing up yet again. No one should be surprised with this years outcome - he flat out just doesn't understand the game or how to build a team. Heard he actually thinks he is a good coach. A bad coach with an ego - what a disaster. And please - don't replace with another guy (or gal) who hasn't had played and coached the game for real.

They finished third in regular season play, then proceeded to lose in the first round to Father Ryan, the number 8 seed, coincidentally enough they had just beaten Father Ryan 4 days earlier. The problem is post season. 4 out of 5 years under Husband's leading, BA has been put out of the tournament in the first round.

I say it again, BA had talent, but the way they were coached the talent could not shine. Had Husband played to his talent, I believe that there would have been several All-Region players on the team. When they had their mini-run after the first of the year that set them up to finish 3rd, they played differently than the end of the season. They ran the floor instead of walking the ball up, there were fast break points because they ran, they set picks for the wings and guards to get open for uncontested jumpshots, and they utilized the fact that their posts were fast and tall (if not big) getting the ball down low quickly before the others teams could set up their defensive pressure.

Then Husband changed the whole offensive strategy going back to his tried and not-so-true habit of passing the ball around the perimeter and turning the ball over... basketball should be played North and South, not East and West... they stopped running, they stopped going to the basket, they stopped setting picks for the wings, the posts never got the ball when they were open because no one was looking inside, and when they did get the ball they had to contend with the other teams' post players that out weighed them by 20 lbs. They stopped playing like a team, each kid not trusting the other, so there were so many low percentage "chuck it up" shots.

Again, there was talent, but the talent was not used well.

Who on this team do you think had All-Region potential? The only one I thought could've been was Tyler Emery but at PG I don't think be could've replaced anyone else on the list. Who do you believe could've been all region because as much as I love those boys, I didnt see All-Region talent on the floor this season

Who on this team do you think had All-Region potential? The only one I thought could've been was Tyler Emery but at PG I don't think be could've replaced anyone else on the list. Who do you believe could've been all region because as much as I love those boys, I didnt see All-Region talent on the floor this season

Emery had an okay season, but if you read my post, there is talent there that IS NOT being exploited. I didn't say anyone should have gotten the nod this year, I am saying that given the right coaching there are boys on this year's team who would have shined. Any of the starters on the team could have made All Region, Second Team, or Honorable Mention if the team had played up to its potential.